Ziggy - when from Male to Female ... and Al's Handlink

mstalanon

Project QL Intern
Apr 30, 2002
Independence, MO
I need info

Date: 07/29/1999

I have two questions i was wondering about. Does anyone know when they went from Ziggy being a male persona to a female persona..and when did Al's handlink change? I have always wondered when in the series these things happened.Please tell me if you know.
==============================
Transexual Ziggy

Date: 07/29/1999

Ziggy went from male to female in "The Leap Back," when we first here his/her voice. Ashley McConnell explained the sex change by suggesting that Tina may have made the change (she's the Pulse Communications Technician).

There were several different handlink designs. Al wasn't very kind to them. Someone with less of a life than me can probably tell you which episodes the handlink changed.

Article 134:
The Admiral's handlink

Date: 09/01/1999

In the episode "The B@#%man" the colorful handlink debuts. But on today's episode "The Great Spontini" he has the old one and breaks it and then gets the colorful one back. Does this make any sense to anyone?

Reply 1:
Back up handlink

Date: 09/02/1999

I have a theory, The new handlink could have only been use when
something was wrong with the old one. However, that on "The B@#%man" The old one could have been acting up. So they used the lego color light up one. Then on "The Great Spontini" When Al broke the old handlink, They could have got sick of always fixing this handlink. They could have said "You know what? Forget this handlink"
So they started using the new one.

Reply 2:
About the handlink.

Date: 09/08/1999

It could be that "The Great Spontini" was shot and recorded BEFORE but aired AFTER "The B@#%man".

Re: Ziggy - name

Article 144:
Another Question

Date: 09/05/1999

I was looking back at some of the other forum questions from the past and somebody mentioned that Al gave Ziggy her nickname. What episode did Al tell Sam he did this and did he ever say why he gave her that nickname?

Reply 1:
It was implied

Date: 09/06/1999

They never actually say it, but it is implied. In "A Leap For Lisa" when Al is killed Ziggy's name was changed to Alpha. Maybe Al gave her this name or Al's influence made Sam name her Ziggy.

Reply2:
Quantum Leap: Prelude (book)

Date: 09/07/1999

Greetings,

This is my first time posting/replying, but I do have a little info that you might find interesting.

In the Quantum Leap book series, there was one book that dealt with the start of Project Quantum Leap. It was called "Prelude", by Ashley McConnell. It shouldn't be too hard to locate a copy.

In the book, Ziggy's name is explained.

I normally don't read book adaptations of a tv series, but this one was an exception. In the intro to the book, the author states that it is not the story of _how_ QL started, but how QL _could_ have started.

Hope this is usefull.

{Moderators comment: My recollection was that Ziggy was named for a cartoon character - by Sam. Can anybody tell me if I am crazy (well, yes okay, I *know* I am crazy in general) or if my memory is correct, and if so, where did this info come from?}

Re: Ziggy -gender

Article 454:
Ziggy

Date: 02/01/2000

In leap for lisa sam says "Ziggy, is SHE still called ziggy??" He refers to her as her.. what is ziggy a girl of boy beacause i remember in the beginning they referred to ziggy as HE. And in the leap back they showed ziggy talking, He or she sounded like a girl.. so clear this question up somebody??

Reply 1:
there have been many debates over that

Date: 02/01/2000

two theories are that Sam didn't remember what Ziggy was and AL just humoured him, or that Sam changed history somehow and made Ziggy female, maybe when he got Donna to marry him.

Reply 2:
i think...

Date: 02/02/2000

its prob some inside joke the writers had and dont forget there are alot of changes in shows after it just starts so i dont think it means anything

Reply 3:
Bellisarius knows..

Date: 02/04/2000

I read on (the best web site for QL) the QL Information Kiosk that Bellisarius felt that changing Ziggy to a she from a he was just a good idea...at least that's what he says. He did consciously know he changed the sex of Ziggy.

Reply 4:
The truth

Date: 02/04/2000

"Ziggy was referred to as a male through every show. But Ziggy turns out to be a she. It's not an error, we just decided to make Ziggy a female.
It wasn't like we thought 'Oh god, we didn't think of that', we just thought 'Who cares!'.
Alternatively I could tell you that Sam didn't remember that Ziggy was female until he came home, and Al, not wanting to spoil anything for him or throw more of a load onto him than he already had, just rode along with it. Hows that!!" - Don P. Bellisario.

Re: Handlink

Article 584:
In the episode Her Charm...
Date: 04/07/2000
In the episode Her Charm was Al's handlink different then the regular lego looking one? Or was it just me?

Reply:
It's a first season episode
Date: 04/08/2000
The "old" handlink that Al used was seen in most of the first season episodes including the pilot episode. You'll see the multicolor handlink either toward the end of season 1 or the beginning of season 2.

Article 864:
Survey: Who wants "gummi bear" Handlink?

Date: 12/17/2000

Hello Leapers!

I'm a QL fan and occasional prop replica maker with electronics knowledge thinking of making a "gummi bear" style handlink for myself. Of course, this is an expensive proposition both in time and money, so what I'd like to know is:

How much would you be willing to pay for an expertly-built copy that looks and blinks almost exactly like the actual props used on the show?

Would you want one with sound effects built in also?

Would you require it to be completely self-contained, or would a wire up the sleeve to the circuitry be acceptable?

Can you provide clear close-up images, detailed drawings, description of the blinking pattern or actual blink circuit used in the original props, measurements, clean sound effect clips, a sample or mold or casting of the calculator model that the original prop was built around (actually it was built on a clear casting molded from this odd-shaped calculator), or other info that would be useful to this project?

I have visited Ian Collier's excellent site ( users.ox.ac.uk/~uzdm0006/handlink/handlink.html ) which details how he made one, but I'm hoping to make mine a bit more refined... something that at brief glance, even up close, looks just like the real thing.

Naturally, the responses I recieve will influence my decision on whether to proceed with the project soon or wait until I can fund it on my own to build only a single copy for myself.

Alan "A.J." Franzman
Oops, forgot to include my email
My email should be linked to my handle on this msg. If not, here it is:
AFranzman@aol.com
A.J.

Reply:
Ooo...nifty

Hmmmm...
It's not as though I could buy one (without everyone thinking I'm nuts) but here's what I think:
I'd probably be willing to pay $50 dollars for it...but thats without knowing exactly what went into it...if it's really nice it's probably more and my $50 for it seems obsurd ;P
I'd like it to be self-contained if possible and practical but wouldn't care too much if it wasn't. Yes I'd like sound effects too :)
Ok, now here's the real reason why I responded...
members.aol.com/kfbofpql/...l#handlink
it gives a little bit more information and a upclose picture of the gummiebear handlink (even if it is a bit grainy). It isn't much but I thought I'd contribute. BTW if the link doesn't work tell me ;P
Again, I think that's an awsome idea, and I would like to buy one if I had the money, but I really don't <:}
~BG

Reply:
Re: Ooo...nifty

Thank you for that excellent low-ball bid, BlueGoat!

And thanks for the website info, though I had seen that one already.

Maybe after I've made a couple dozen I could cast you a non-working model, or send you a "reject" casting for $50. With full self-contained electronics it will definitely have to be at least $200, possibly $250-$400. Separate electronics with "cable up the sleeve" might be do-able for $100, but I really doubt it. (Of course, steep discounts possibly up to a FREE handlink will be given to those who make significant contributions to the project.)

This level of expense is the entire reason for my survey. You see, if I only make one working model for myself the unit cost will be well over $1000 (and therefore not likely to be attempted). This does not even take into account the several weeks that will be required to develop a prototype model for casting, along with making multiple molds for casting the different colors of resin into one solid block. But if I can sell a few copies at a good profit, or several copies at a modest profit, my cost drops dramatically, and therefore I will be more likely to make the effort.

One thing that would drastically speed up the process would be the loan of an original prop (guaranteed to be returned undamaged) for making a mold and study of electronics if present. I would definitely give one free working model to someone who lends me a non-electronic original, and 2 copies if I can borrow a working original with all electronics present - I would most likely not need to power it up, just study the circuitry and components used.

A.J.

Reply:
Have pictures and prop to help!!!!!!

Date: 10/28/2002

I have made a resin model of the gummi handlink, some of the surface detail is a little different to the original. But this can be corrected when making your own. I have some excellent reference pictures though and would be willing to e-mail them to you. If it helps I could also send you the cast resin version I have made, I started the project a while back, but never finished it. I am a novice when it comes to building props but I am quite enthusiastic. I really tried hard when making the gummi handlink, but it would seem you are more experienced when it comes to these things and if it helps with the project then you are quite welcome to borrow the prop.
I think a self-contained prop with working lights would be great. Sound would be a nice extra feature but it would depend on the cost of adding a sound circuit.

Article 924:
Material items and leaping

Date: 01/08/2001

I noticed something odd about the episode "The Leap Back." From what I can tell, when someone leaps only they time travel and not any material possesions they might have on their person at the time. So how come in "The Leap Back," the handlink goes back with Al, while none of the clothes he was wearing go with him as well?

Reply:
It wasn't a normal leap

Date: 01/15/2001

Al shouldn't have lept at all. Sam is the only one affected by the leaping. Al isn't even really there when it happens, yet somehow that one time it DID happen. Some of the other usual rules being violated isn't surprising.

Besides- It made for an interesting problem for Sam, not being able to open the door and all!

So is Ziggy a boy or a girl?

I just finished watching a leap for Lisa. Throughout the entire show they refer to Ziggy as a he. Sam even refers to her as a he in the leap back. At the beginning of a leap for Lisa Sam calls Ziggy a he, but then at the end he says she.

Could Sam have possibly changed something because of his actions in a leap for Lisa?

Or is it possible that Ziggy being a computer is technically genderless and they can refer to "it" as either or.

Is there any explanation given further in the series? I just finished season 4.