Top 25 Best Episodes of Quantum Leap

bluedana said:
My top ten list changes from time to time, at least after #1 and #2. Especially now that I can watch them uncut on DVD. Some make much more sense now that they haven't been "syndicut," and often I get more out of them because I put on the subtitles.

My top two are Shock Theatre and Lee Harvey Oswald (but if this were the Olympics, the gold and silver medals would only be separated by a tenth of a point). I have a soft spot for Crazy Out of Control Sam.

In no particular order (because I love almost all of the rest) the list would go:

The Colour of Truth
8 1/2 Months
Leap Home, Parts 1 & 2
So Help Me, God
Dance Before an Execution
Jimmy
MIA
The Wrong Stuff
The other Jimmy one (that introduces Alia - title escapes me right now)
Liberation
Leap Between the States

Just shows you how different the choices of QL fans can be (also proves that many different episodes have an appeal to the fans). Not to be all superior or something (there are two or three episodes on this list that just failed to make the cut), but the list is also very different from my top 10 list.

Interesting to see the support for The Wrong Stuff, as it is considered by a certain fan segment (see: jump the shark site) to be the rubbish monkey episode (usually the people who also dislike the fifth season changes and are under the impression that this episodes was part of that season). My opinion? Well, let's just say that I think there is a hidden philosophy behind the episode.

The list will continue either later today or tomorrow (with an episode where Al wishes that he could be in Sam's position).

Grimlock said:
Not to be all superior or something (there are two or three episodes on this list that just failed to make the cut), but the list is also very different from my top 10 list.
Different perspectives and life experiences yield different tastes and opinions.
Interesting to see the support for The Wrong Stuff, as it is considered by a certain fan segment (see: jump the shark site) to be the rubbish monkey episode (usually the people who also dislike the fifth season changes and are under the impression that this episodes was part of that season).
I have found the jump-the-shark site to be pretty dumb. Most of the people posting there are clueless about what "jump the shark" actually means, and are just talking about episodes they don't like, as if (a) their dislike of an episode means that it is objectively bad, and (b) one "bad" episode means the end of a good series. For The Wrong Stuff in particular, my personal opinion is that it does a terrific job presenting a conflict between two good and dedicated scientists, who are both right and wrong in their viewpoints. And it gets there without being preachy. (Plus, it's funny and, you know, Scott Bakula in a diaper . . .)

5.jpg
9.jpg
12.jpg

ONE STROBE OVER THE LINE

A very dark and emotional episode with great educational value for young women. It's also one of the most realistical and up-to-date episodes, as these things do happen in that world. And as an added bonus (apart from the belly dancers) we get the whole link between Edie and Sam, which gives us some background info on Sam.

Yay. Its a good episode, I love how Edie and Sam connected so well both being from Indiana and all. And how Sam was so supportive of Edie's withdrawl. Like you said it's also dark because of th whole realstic modle on drugs deal and plsu the scene where shes up in the middle of the night going for the pills again. Great Episode :)

Grimlock said:
as it is considered by a certain fan segment (see: jump the shark site) to be the rubbish monkey episode

hehe, and I was one of them before I actually did see it. and you guessed it was under Kristen infulence hehe. She saw it at her aunts house on TV and she told me it was really cute. So I saw it and now it's on my top ten list hehe.
and Dana we seemed to have a simular taste both pretty different from Grimlock here. Our lists share a few episodes. :)

Everyone has made some great choices a lot of them are on my list as well. Speaking of which here is mine

1. Mirror Image
2. M.I.A.
3. Shock Theater
4. The Leap Back
5. The Leap Home part1
6. The Boogeyman
7. The Leap Between the States
8. Trilogy part 1
9. Trilogy part 2
10. you guessed it Trilogy part 3

Sam Beckett Fan said:
With the exception of the trilogies I like your list a lot Colter. I don't believe I have met you, welcome to Al's Place :)

Just signed on a few days ago. The lure of info on the movie drew me to this site. I like the trilogy because it seems to me to be a definite set up for a lot more episodes. Plus I really like the way Sammy Joes grandma was portrayed.

That's good. I hate them because I love the idea of Sam and Donna that was stressed in Leap Back and also to have a relationship with someone within a leap is unmoral of Sam, not to mention he sort of fathered the girl when she was ten, ewww! and Abigale is annoying and Laura(the grandma) gives me the hibbi jibbies. It seems to me more like a bad fanfic than part of the show.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
It seems to me more like a bad fanfic than part of the show.

Now that you put it that way, it does. Ouch! Well, I at least like the overall idea of there being a story arc (i.e. one fix creates another problem, and that fix creates another).

Yeah I must admit that concept was kind of neat, that Sam had to help the same person three time and she was a little older each time. That's a neat idea.

1.jpg
7.jpg
17.jpg

M.I.A.

A day in the life of Al Calavicci. Emotional, heartbreaking and the set up for the final episode. What is there not to love about this episode? Well, the leap story actually. If that story was not so lame (honestly, what kind of nonsense was that?) then it would have made my top ten list. Oh, and it does help that the actress playing Beth is a real hottie (you can see why Al was attracted to her, which was important for the story to be believable). Interestingly, Sam did not have any kind of attraction towards her.

3.jpg
25.jpg
52.jpg

MIRROR IMAGE

The final episode. Confusing to no end, but a great end to the series. One of the most controversial episodes due to the last thing that appears on the screen, but I liked the fact that the series had the guts to end it like that (yes, I know about all the stories surrounding the cancellation). Though I can understand that the fans who watch the show to get a good feeling from it are very disappointed in this episode. Also, the return of some of the best guest actors on the show also helped greatly in my liking of this episode. The miners story was poignant and mysterious and raised all kind of different questions (not to mention Al the Bartender).

P.S. The list will continue with the top 10 in (likely) a few days time. Watch out for desperate housewives, musical hymns, fire, curses, mystic meg and airports.

I loved mirror image ,but i hated how they ended it.when i saw the ending i was keep telling my shelf,NOW WHAT NOW WHAT NOW WHAT??? i couldnt beleive they gave this dark mysterious ending and left many unanswered qs.plus the obsence or the final obsence of donna in the show.but thats life.And MIA was great romantic and moving in the end.
even though there was a happy ending in mirror image with al and beth

Yeah I felt the same way Leaper. and personally I wish they have left in that the picture of ensine Calavicci transformed into a photo of Al and Beth with four adult daughters surrounding them. A video clip of it can be found here on Al's. It would have made a really cool ending and I was really hoping Sam would get home at the end of the series back when I was still seeing seasons two and three.

9.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg

PERMANENT WAVE

This episode is very touching, as it deals with the handicap of a young child. Future superstar Joseph Gordon-Levitt really shines in this episode and makes you feel for the young kid. And apart from the drama and the comedy (Al and his twins), there is also the adventure part with the mob hit (I see it as an upgraded version of Her Charm). I really enjoyed that angle, as the twist at the end caught me by surprise. The Buffy fans amongst you should have recognized a familiar face.

P.S. And a good directional debut for Scott Bakula. Especially the sequence in the house (at the end of the episode).

Great episode, Kristen and I especially love the bit with the twins hahahaha. :)

But the story is also great and Kyle is a great charactor. Not to mention the whole thing with Chloe being the real villian was awsome, and definatly shocked me.

5.jpg
7.jpg
11.jpg

WHAT PRICE GLORIA?

The first episode in which Sam leaps into a woman. Aside from the comedy bits (which probably has most female fans bursting out in laughter), I particularly was very invested in the character of Gloria and how she was determined to sell herself out just to be noticed in life. And yes, that is indeed the baby sister of 'Peggy Bundy'. Some of my choices are 'smaller' episodes in which the characters just click with me (get me emotionally involved) and other more famous episodes get left out (partly) for that same reason (aka NOT getting me invested in the characters).

9.jpg
24.jpg
36.jpg

TRILOGY PART III: THE LAST DOOR

An amazing trilogy deserves an amazing end. And it's very ending is indeed almost flawless. Chilling, dramatic, suspenseful and courtroom action. What more can you ask from one episode? Perhaps a shame that Leta Aider was not present (as such), but for the rest it was frightening stuff. One of the best acting episodes from Scott Bakula. And who knew that Melora Hardin would still be a force to be reckoned with today (not to mention even getting hotter still at the turn of the big 4-0).

ooh, Your list was really up my alley until now. Although the third part is the only one I CAN tolorate. Abigale is finally a mature grown woman now that she has a kid, and Sammy Jo is pretty cute.

I also really like the concept of Sam feeling when Larry has a heart episode in the waiting room, its quite a step up from when they introduced Mind Merging in season four (although I think its mildly hinted at through the first three seasons as well) but it's still very interesting and Scott is so believeable as always.

a little list

in no particular order...

the good
memphis melody
bloodmoon
the color of truth
a portrait for troian
boogie**n
nuclear family
shock theatre (duck and cover !)
temptation eyes
dreams
catch a falling star

the bad
the americanization of machiko (or as i like to call it, 'the color of truth, part deux')
her charm (i was waiting for MacGyver to show up and save the day)
the play's the thing

the ugly
the last gunfighter (cheeeeeeesy)
how the tess was won (though its worth sitting through the texas shlock just to hear 'piggy sue-eeeee'!)
leaping of the shrew (a nice concept ruined by brooke shields)

2.jpg
3.jpg
15.jpg

BLIND FAITH

A tragic tale about a young girl who has a very strict mother, who does not want her daughter to live a life of her own. This motherly overprotection however leads to a dangerous situation. On the other hand, there is Sam trying to imagine what it feels like to be blind. These two worlds collide as they must, to right the things which once went wrong. And to learn, above all, that letting go isn't always a bad thing. Great episode.

5.jpg
10.jpg
60.jpg

LEE HARVEY OSWALD

Probably the most controversial episode of the whole series. For non-Americans (like myself) it's a great history lesson, but for everybody it's a stunning performance by Scott Bakula. Hands down his best performance of the series. Also probably the most violent and disturbing episode of the series (not one for the kids),but there lies great storytelling (well, mostly facts even) behind it all.

Grimlock said:

5.jpg
10.jpg
60.jpg

LEE HARVEY OSWALD

Probably the most controversial episode of the whole series. For non-Americans (like myself) it's a great history lesson, but for everybody it's a stunning performance by Scott Bakula. Hands down his best performance of the series. Also probably the most violent and disturbing episode of the series (not one for the kids),but there lies great storytelling (well, mostly facts even) behind it all.

Great episode, but one of the worst Hollywood stereotypes of Southerners and mis-representations of New Orleans since "The Big Easy"---when a Georgia peach carrying a parasol walks up to Sam in N.O. and refers to him as "y'all". Totally out of place accent aside, no self-respecting Southerner would ever use "y'all" to ONE Person. "y'all didn't tell me y'all was married." Puh-leeze.

I wasn't too sure about this episode the first time I saw it. I didn't find it that interesting the first time. Though I've watched it another two times, and my opinion has changed. I now think that this s one of series 5's best episodes. Although. since I saw it, I've been having strange dreams involving me pretending to be the queen, and then getting shot by Lee Harvey Oswald, but the bullet rebounds and kills him.

My top 10

My top 10 + 3 Bonus.... in no particular order.

Raped
I like the idea that Sam was able to protect a rape victim from all the behaviour of people around her after the rape.

the Colour of Truth
This kind of reminded me of driving Miss Daisy. I like how he was able to change the woman's opinion slowly.

The Leap Back
I like the Idea that when he changed his and Donna's past that htey ended up together, and he was able to enjoy his own life. I always wanted to believe that he might have had a child with her since she was his wife (and I hated the Abigail character, she was beyond irritating). I like the idea that his wife loved him enough that she would wait years for him.

Freedom
This might be due to the fact that I work with aboriginal students but I love the underlying tension between the siblings. How one (the daughter) is emersed in the "world" and out of touch with her backgorund, and the other is curious but has no knowledge. I like the idea that the grandfather can open Sam's eyes to aboriginal culture and it means enough to him int he end that he gaurantees that the man will be returned to his land. Although it's stereotypical in a lot of ways, I enjoy the itnerpretation of aboriginal people. The first line is priceless when Sams says "I'm an Indian" and the grandfather figure says "It could be worse, you could be a white man."

8 1/2 Months
I loved the idea of Sam as a waddling pregnant woman, and I enjoyed all the debate about whether he could truly have the baby or not.

Last Dance Before Execution
I enjoyed the fact that the writer didn't go the easy route and make his leapee innocent but the actual murderer.

Running For Honour
I really liked the idea that we never found out whether the leapee was gay or not. I liked the idea that Al's beliefs were challenged and it was just fast-paced and exciting right to the conclusion.

A Leap for Lisa
I love the fun they had with Al disappearing and reappearing. I totally love who they picked as Sam's observer. It implied that Sam would be entirely dull and boring if he hadn't met Al. And who can resist Al freaking out about his own future or lack thereof! I also like the idea that Sam failed, and Al was the one who really righted his own past.

Liberation
I loved the underlying tension that was shown between feminism and being a wife and mother. Whether they are mutually exclusive or not. Plus I couldn't resist Sam trying to avoid kissing his husband *hehe*.

The Leap Between The States
I can't resist period pieces what can I say. I just loved the character of his great-grandmother too. She was facinating!

Justice
I think this one is self-explanatory.

Jimmy
I resisted watching this one for a long time and now I don't know why. Sam's confusion about how to appear retarded, finding out about Al's sister and his close attachment to the case. Just being able to imagine what it must have been like for someone who was mentally retarded prior to the modern era. Very touching.

Shock Theater
This really showed Scott excellent acting range. I actually liked Dreams for the same reason.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trilogy is at times one of my favorite and oen of the worst. While I enjoyed the basis of the trilogy I find Sam sleeping with Abigail so unbelievable. He falls in love with her in the first episode in a father-figure way. Then he's having sex with her immediately in the second leap. It's rather icky to me, there was no chance to even know her as an adult first. The fact that he fathered a child with her isn't any more believable to me, though I guess it was meant to be the key to bringing him home.

the best episodes for me so far
A PORTRIAT FOR TROIAN chilling episode with a nice twist
THE LEAP HOME touching episode
KILLING TIME a mix of sci fi thrillers in to one single episode
RAPED the title says it all although i dont get it whey they dont show that episode here in uk and they always skip it.
TEMPTATION EYES a romantic thriller episode
MIRROR IMAGE welcome to the twilight zone:lol
MIA simply romantic and moving in the end
GHOST SHIPThe whole bermuda triangle mystery is intruiging
THE BOOG..... dont say the word:hair
PRIVATE DANCERbeautifull moving and a great love theme
LAST DANCE BEFORE AN EXECUTION Very dramatic episode with a shocking
ending
SHOCK THETRE Scots best acting performance so far in this episode
THE LEAP BACK Romantic to death and also moving in the end...WHERE IS
DONNA?? :eek
PERNAMEMT WAVE a nice twist in the end
DREAMS gave me the chills when i saw it
ROBERTO BECOUSE I LOVED THE ACTRESS SHE WAS SO SEXY:D
THE EVIL LEAPERS becouse they rocked the series:D
and THE TRILOGY very suspensfull ecxiting and SAMS ULTIMATE BETRAYAL TO DONNA.:realmad
ps to add 2 more which i forgot
A LEAP FOR LISA AL IS GONE LOL
A LITTLE MIRACLE A NICE CHRISTMAS CAROL

Last edited:

1.jpg
6.jpg
13.jpg

LAST DANCE BEFORE AN EXECUTION

Well, what can I say about this episode? It's genuinely moving and really makes you feel how it must be to sit on death row. Offcourse, central to understanding this is Sam Beckett and his fear and desperation is astounding (and almost nowhere else to be seen in the series). Al is also very good in the church scenes (the third picture is one my favourite 'intro' moments) with the little girl. The 'baddie' is played with much gusto by a veteran actor (who I know by face from many a production). Finally, the whole episode is about faith and believing, but ultimately the sinners must be judged.

P.S. So, four still to go. All American episodes, but not all about 'real' Americans.

leonni said:
The trilogy is at times one of my favorite and oen of the worst. While I enjoyed the basis of the trilogy I find Sam sleeping with Abigail so unbelievable. He falls in love with her in the first episode in a father-figure way. Then he's having sex with her immediately in the second leap. It's rather icky to me, there was no chance to even know her as an adult first. The fact that he fathered a child with her isn't any more believable to me, though I guess it was meant to be the key to bringing him home.

This is a good way to describe it. The trilogy has aspects that I really like, and at other times, I wonder what they were thinking.