Catch a Falling Star

• Total voters

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
Catch a Falling Star
May 21, 1979

Syracuse, New York

As an understudy for the lead role in The Man of La Mancha, Sam must prevent the star of the show from falling off a balcony onstage and ruining his career.

He also encounters his old piano teacher from his boyhood and gets to have the romance he always wanted years ago.

Written by: Paul Brown
Directed by: Donald P. Bellisario

Rate and comment on this episode!

Last edited by a moderator:
This one has to rate as my all time favorite episode.

Superficially, because Scott sings in it, of course. But deeper than that, I love the episodes where Sam has to fight with his conscience as here when he has to decide whether to help a man he despises as an arrogant drunkard, and is torn as to whether or not he wants to leap. I also think this episode showcases Scott's subtle acting ability - the hard stuff to pull off. There was an old actor once of whom it was said that he could act better with the back of his head than many of his contemporaries with the whole of their bodies.
Scott is of that ilk. As when he looks at Al when the observer says Don Quixote loved pure and chaste from afar. The best example is probably in the pilot episode, when he is telling the doctors to give Peg alcohol, and though his back is to camera, you can tell exactly what he is thinking, and what his face conveys to those with him.
That's talent, and Scott has it aplenty, especially in this ep.

i find it so funny how Sam thinks that John is an , as he put it "arrogant @$$" lol becasue the actor who's real name is also JOhn, is Scott's Idol. hehe.

i also loved the whole Nicole thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fan-bloody-tastic! I agree, probably my favorite episode. I'm an aspiring actress as most of yall know, so the whole stage aspect of it drew me in immediately. I knew Scott started in musical theater, but I really had no idea how MARVELOUS it was for the stage. The stage work is what I am so in love with about the ep...the rest it great too...but its all the stuff set on the stage and backstage is what gets me.

Samantha Beckett

I discovered "Man of La Mancha" through this episode, and this is one of my all time favorites.

First, because of all the theatre stuff, since I used to be a theatre major, and second, because of Scott's amazing voice and talent.

It's also one of the few episodes where Sam actually consumates his relationship with his love interest. It's one of the earliest examples of Sam putting his own interests out there and claiming something for himself.

The scene at the piano with Al is one of the high points of the series in terms of character development.

Great episode,Great acting,great guest stars,Scott sings...what else can we ask?!
EXCELLENT!(one of my top 10 episodes).

Yes I thought this was a great episode, one of my favourites too. Loved the whole schoolboy crush thing, i think everyone can relate to that, mainly because we probably all had a crush on a teacher (or maybe several) So to see a crush come to fruition like that, appeals to us all i'm sure

This one is soo much fun to watch!

It actually made me buy the Don Quixotte novel... which I'm way from finishing... :\

Everyone was so great, but especially Nicole was so amazingly engaging, her actress was just pure 'wow'. How it all really paralleled Sam, and the referencing to Sam and Al building the imaging chamber, and all the little sub plots and plotting and switching emotions and so many memorable moments and quotes, sometimes I could swear it was a double episode, from the sheer amount of events.
(I don't even know where to put the full stops and commas with all of that :p )

I could probably write quite a few pages about it. "Break a leg" ;)

leaper1 said:

Yay! *high fives*
I even got a really cool old issue.
I find it really hard to get into the writing style though.

(sorry for the off topic, hope we can get away with it)

The scene at the piano with Al is one of the high points of the series in terms of character development.[/quote]

I actually watch the QL DVD's in order. But the other day decided to watch this episode just because I like it so much. As many of you have said there is so much to like here--the singing, the acting, the theatre, the reference to Sam and Al's beginnings--but the scene at the piano is just so very moving.

Last edited:
Tho I heartily agree with what everyone else has said, what always strikes me about this epi is it's the first time we hear Sam's frustration with leaping. He's been at it long enough to realize it's likely to be awhile before he gets home yet he barely gets to know new people before he leaps again. Good Guy that he is, he's entitled to be a little cranky once in awhile. I liked that we got to see that frustration, it helped to make him more human.

I just saw this episode again and by this time I can say that this is my favourite. I could watch it again at once. You're right SherWash, it makes Sam human, that he is a bit cranky and disappointed. But at the end he is the good guy again. :) Otherwise it wouldn't be the Sam that we know.

I love Scott singing in this episode. And I love his view in some scenes, for example when Sam says to Al that he was too young for Nicole, but he isn't anymore. :)

And I love Al's joy and admiration for the theater. I really love this ep! :hurray:

I just watched this again recently. Getting to hear Scott sing is reason enough for me to love it. The way Sam ran into an old crush, how he wanted to stay with her and wanted a life of his own was sweet, and so was setting aside his own wishes, taking the high road and doing what he was there to do. And of course, Al as always was funny.

Upon re-watching this episode my best friend and I suddenly had a theory as to "Ray" finally getting his big debut in the end. John O'Herley was well known for taking the stage and pretty much existing heavily drunk. We couldn't figure out why he would have suddenly stepped back for Ray, something he'd never just suddenly do. For a long time I assumed that he was simply grateful to Ray for saving his life but if you've ever noticed the profound expression on his face just after he gets to his feet ready to continue the act after his fall and turns towards Sam, my best friend suddenly wondered if he was so drunk that he actually saw Sam and possibly for the first time realized how drunk he was. Or just thought he was going crazy.
The season 4 episode Hurricane supports this when the drunk idiot at the hurricane party told Sam that he looked different through each eye.
He also possibly at least heard if not seen Al. At the beginning of the episode Al comments:
"You are giving a terrific performance" and seconds later John repeats it.

It's amazing how long it can take to pick up on things like that.

Upon re-watching this episode my best friend and I suddenly had a theory as to "Ray" finally getting his big debut in the end. John O'Herley was well known for taking the stage and pretty much existing heavily drunk. We couldn't figure out why he would have suddenly stepped back for Ray, something he'd never just suddenly do. For a long time I assumed that he was simply grateful to Ray for saving his life but if you've ever noticed the profound expression on his face just after he gets to his feet ready to continue the act after his fall and turns towards Sam, my best friend suddenly wondered if he was so drunk that he actually saw Sam and possibly for the first time realized how drunk he was. Or just thought he was going crazy.
The season 4 episode Hurricane supports this when the drunk idiot at the hurricane party told Sam that he looked different through each eye.
He also possibly at least heard if not seen Al. At the beginning of the episode Al comments:

Excellent theory, and very sound. It is quite possible that John O'Malley saw the real Sam because he was so drunk, and that would be enough to make him think he'd lost his mind. :wacko It is certainly out of character for him to be generous out of gratitude and that never sat right with me. This idea makes much more sense.

O'Malley. I knew I was taking a long shot with O'Herley but it came to mind for some reason.
It always had me unsettled as well. Even if he did feel gratitude towards Ray it still didn't make much sense but this does.

Yet another great episode from Quantum Leap. And who wrote it? Why, Paul Brown!!! Directed by the master creator himself, DPB, it's yet another instant classic. Nothing boring, all relatable characters, really, REALLY fun and entertaining.

I must admit that the first few times I watched it, I kind of didn't like the whole romance story, but after revisiting it many more times, it grew on me and I ended up liking it.

My favorite scene: Definitely the very last one with Al and Sam going up and reciting some of the lines from the play.

My rating: Excellent.

The Hotel Room Scene

Why when Sam came up to John's hotel room and asked for Nicole, why did John invite him in, after looking puzzled for a moment. Was he that out of it that he forgot who was in the shower, or was he in on the whole thing?

My first thought that the brush with death had actually convinced him not to go on, but before saying that, he eyed Sam up and down and had a shocked look. But he was loaded in front of Sam a few times already and still saw Ray Hutton. And in the Hurricane party, neither he nor Cissy actually Saw Sam, just the color of one of his eyes.

This one is not a favorite with me. I guess I'm just not one for squishy romance plots. Sam got all jealous because he thought another guy was with the lady he had a crush on when he was 15? Really?

Good points for the theater bits, though. Loved the end credits, where cast and crew came out on stage together.

This one I'm toying between Average and Good. I'm feeling nice today, so it gets a Good.

A great episode this one. I just love so many things about it. First of all, getting another glimpse of Sam's past in the form of Nicole is a treat. For the first time thus far in the series, Sam begins to consider trying to remain where he is, in order to remain with her. And also for the first time, we see a strong selfishness there. You can really tell that he's willing to let John fall. Of course, at the last moment he can't go through with it and saves him, but it's great to see that Sam isn't 100% perfect. It makes him more relatable.

I never knew much about Man of La Mancha until watching this episode, but I do love the music. Scott has a great voice and this is the first real time we get to see him show it off.

That last scene, with Sam venturing forth with his trusty companion Al, makes me nearly well up every time. A sad, powerful scene. One of the best ever QL scenes, actually. Especially that last line. "Adventures, old friend".

My rating. Excellent. One of the true classic episodes of the series.