2005 Quantum Leap Fandom Awards: Results

I started to...but

I think that would be for Mike to do. Otherwise, I would be plagerizing his site and that just wouldn't be right.

Mike...perhaps you would post the results here in a single post?

The Results of the Quantum Leap Fandom Awards

Mike, if I have in anyway overstepped the line for posting this information on the Al's Place Messageboard, please discuss it with me off the board. I thought that it would be nice to go ahead and do it for you since I do know that you are busy trying to finish up a story and studying for exams.

I don't believe that I am plagiarizing as I am going to put the results as is listed on the board without any comment of my own in the mix of it. The quoted text that it next in this post is what is on the following address: http://com2.runboard.com/bquantumleapfandomawards if anyone would like to check for authenticity. (Even though I did correct a few misspellings and put in extra spacings so that the answers could be seen better.)

Fan Fiction

Congratulations to the following winners!

Best Overall Story: "Stardust" by Jennifer Rowland

"Stardust" aired as a series of alternate episodes on Quantum Leap: The Virtual Seasons, regailing the events that occurred before Sam's monumental leap.

Best Dramatic Story: "Two of a Kind" by Nicole Harpe

Sam leaps into father of a busy family, only to find out that one of his host's sons has more in common with Al than he thought possible.

Best Mystery/Horror Story: "Give Me Liberty" & "Give Me Death" by M. J. Cogburn and Damon Sugameli AND "I Left a Little Piece of Myself on the Farm" trilogy by Erin Bauer and Mike Bloxam (and Ruth Merry [part I])

Another situation where the fans couldn't choose between two main contenders, these two multi-part stories both aired as episodes on Quantum Leap: The Virtual Seasons in the eleventh season.

"Give Me Liberty" and "Give Me Death" finished off the infamous Project Liberty arc at the end of the season, giving the readers closure on one plotline only to open up another.

"I Left a Little Piece of Myself on the Farm" was three episode that aired toward the end of the season, taking Sam into rural South Carolina where he encountered a difficult and perplexing leap, no thanks to another leaper being thrown into the mix.

Best Historical Story: "Beat Them Until They Are" by Nicole Harpe

Sam leaps into a POW in Viet Nam and finds that the truth of war is enough to numb any man's senses.

Most Humorous Story: "Hair of the Dog" by Helen Earl and Sue Johnson

Another episode on Quantum Leap: The Virtual Seasons, this story has Sam believing he is a werewolf while April Fool's Day jokes are being played back at the Project.

Best Cross-over Story:"The Show Must Go On" by Mike Truman

This cross-over with Sliders is more direct than one might think: Sam leaps into Jerry O'Connell, the actor who played Quinn Mallory, while on the set of the show. The story is only enhanced by the images that accompany it.

Best New Author: Jennifer Rowland

Nominated for her work on The Starbright Project with the "Chiefest of Sinners" quadrilogy, Jennifer topped the list of 2005's new authors.

Most Improved Author: Doug Laird

Doug was nominated for his story "Time Travelers' Aid Society" (aired on Quantum Leap: The Virtual Seasons) and received well deserved aplause for the story that demonstrated a wonderful growth in his writing.

Best Virtual Series: Quantum Leap: The Virtual Seasons

Starting out in 1999 with a "virtual sixth season" and 18 episodes, Quantum Leap: The Virtual Seasons has grown by leaps (pun intended!) and bounds to have six more seasons with at least 32 episode each, greatly expanding on the universe established by Donald P. Bellisario's original television series. It has many talented authors as varied as the series itself, all of whom have aided in the growth of this virtual series.

A.J. Burfield and M.J. Cogburn, the co-founders, have given the Quantum Leap community the perfect opportunity to feel as though the series has continued.

Best Role-Playing Game: Future's Past RPG

As with most of the other "Quantum Leap" RPGs on the Internet, this game started off after Sam's next leap after Al's Place. After over three years of gameplay, there are still dedicated players in the game who continue on the story.

Web Site

Best New: Scott Bakula Screencaps

This year's winner is a Scott Bakula Web site, focussing on images of the star and the latest news. It's sure to be a contender for the Scott Web Site award in 2006.

Most Improved: Official Stockwell Appreciation Society

With a new URL and a new layout, the Web site for theSassies Yahoo! Group improved its appearance in 2005 compared to 2004. Never fear, it is still chock full of Stockwell data!

Best Overall: Al's Place - A Quantum Leap Fan Site

Apparently the destionation for the majority of Leapers on the Internet, Al's Place has won its second award for being the best all-around QL-related Web site. Between the image galleris, the episode guide, the character resources, and much more, it's no wonder that Al's Place is so widely recognized.

Best Scott Bakula: Scott Bakula Online & BakulaNews.com

These two Scott-related sites were the only contenders and shared a 50/50 split of the vote. Both sites contain lots of Bakula information and are heavily visited.

Best Dean Stockwell: Official Stockwell Appreciation Society

The Official Stockwell Appreciation Society Web site contains a wealth of information about Dean's current appearances, historical articles, quotes, and so much more. It is run by the Sassies, with much of the information coming from their mailing list.

Community

Best "Quantum Leap": Al's Place Quantum Leap Online Community

Spending the first half of the year on ezboard and the second half on the Al's Place domain, this message board is still going strong at 286 members. With continuous discussion, related to "Quantum Leap" as well as venturing into other topics, this board is a model community not just for QL but for the entire Internet.

Best Dean Stockwell: theSassies

In a landslide victory, this Yahoo! Group of fifty members deserves its win. Calling themselves the Sassies (SAS = Stockwell Appreciation Society), this group of Stockwell fans talk about his film and TV appearances, as well as his other connections in Hollywood and beyond.

Best Scott Bakula: Scott Bakula Fan Forum

Apparently the livliest Scott Bakula community, Scott Bakula Fan Forum is an ezboard message board, currently with 323 registered members. They talk about all things Scott and always have the newest information about him. There is even a forum for those who have met him to talk about their encounter.

Miscellaneous

Biggest Fan: M. J. Cogburn

One of the founders of Quantum Leap: The Virtual Seasons, M.J. is well known in the Quantum Leap community and is continuously striving to keep the Leap alive.

Best "Quantum Leap" Product: "Quantum Leap: The Complete Second Season" on DVD, Region 2 version

After the great debacle about replacement music in the Region 1 version, many were excited to learn that the Region 2 version of the DVDs have the the original soundtrack completely intact.

Best Music Video: "Shock Theatre" by Chris Goodier (Chatelaine)

This video takes scenes from the episode "Shock Theater" and puts them to Counting Crows song that really sets the mood.

Best Poem: "The Leap" by Helen Gerhard

A new category this year with a deserving winner. "The Leap" is a wonderful piece of poety that describes the everyday events of a leap.

Best Artwork: "Quantum Leap" fan-poster by Kevin Wilson & "Quantum Leap: Angels" by Ninjaliz-chan

Though this category received no nominations last year, a total of six appears this year. Two pieces of work, a "Quantum Leap" fan-poster and another depicting Sam and Al as angels, tied for receiving this award.