If Sam leaped into your life............

Mrs Calavicci

Project QL Intern
Apr 26, 2006
In England
................And could change anything that has happened to you within your lifetime what would it be?

My love life!!!!:lol And I will have to think of some more. There are a few:p

Funnily enough, it would have to be my love life as well.. if I had just avoided one particular guy, I would have avoided all the other rubbish ones that I ended up with!
That, or he'd stop me from quitting my journalism apprenticeship after 2 months to go to college.

I could name any number of things that Sam could have changed in my life... but then, I wouldn't be the person that I am today, though, would I?

As I have heard recently, it's our choices that lead us into the actions that we take.

If Sam leaped into me, I'd hope that it would be to save me from something that I don't know of yet, ie an accident.... or to help a child more that I couldn't before... or to have that extra boost in a friend's life.

I think that I like who I am.... even with all my mistakes.

MJ

QL Damsel makes some good points, love life mistakes would be good to change, but yeah if it majorly helped lots of people its all good !

Mrs Calavicci said:
................And could change anything that has happened to you within your lifetime what would it be?

I can think of one thing I would hope Sam could change. Many years ago I was in an 'on-again' 'off-again' long term relationship. He and I could talk about anything, everything, and seemed to know what the other was thinking. Sometime in a rather long 'off-again' time, he .... I don't know how to describe it, but, he just seemed be more than usual distracted. We were still close, still talked, but for some reason he wouldn't say what was bothering him. Suddenly, he couldn't or wouldn't say what was going on, and I couldn't 'read' him at all. We worked at the same place, did the same job, but on different shifts. His work was being effected, and sometimes didn't show up at all. I tried to ask him what was wrong, but he would just walk away. I got so aggrivated at him, I figured he was having a 'mid-life-crisis.' Men! And they talk about us!
Well, one night I was waiting for him to show up at work so I could do a quick shift turnover and go home. He never came in.
My supervisor called me into the office (our relationship was no secret), and with no 'sit down' or 'I've got bad news...' he just said Kenneth is dead. I practically hit the floor.
Suicide. Single small calibur shot in the head.
If Sam could Leap into me in the days or hours before that happened, when I still had a chance to talk with Kenneth, or at the very least slap him up side the head and scream at him to ACT RIGHT! Or get some kind of help, maybe Kenneth would still be with me. Or to say the least still alive. I knew something was wrong, I knew he was having some kind of trouble, but he wouldn't say anything. I never thought in a million years he would do something like that. He just.... wasn't the type.
But he's gone now, and I'll never know if I could have changed what happened. If I had just one day to go back and .......

Still single...
Linda

QL Damsel: Agreed, it's our choices that make us who we are, and sometimes making a bad choice does make us better or wiser people. But what I think Mrs. Calavicci was getting at is, sometimes bad things happen through no doing of our own, through forces beyond our control, or through sheer coincidence. And, that's where Sam would come in, to fix things we may not have seen would be troublesome at the time.

For example, a businessman has to fly somewhere to see a client, and the plane crashes. There's nothing out of the ordinary about a business trip, so barring something like a nasty weather forecast that he ignored, there would be very few red flags and no reason to stop him from going. It's just one of those things that nobody but Ziggy would see. So Sam would have to keep him from boarding that plane, or preventing whatever caused the crash to happen, even though rational people in the situation would have no notion that something bad would happen.

Do I have any of these out-of-my-control events in my life worthy of a Sam intervention? My mother's brother died in an automobile-related accident, so possibly Sam could've prevented that. That would be a leap more for her and her family, though, as I have no memory of him; the only time I met him I was a toddler, and when I learned that Uncle John died, my main reaction was, "Who's Uncle John?" As far as things somewhat under my control? My first college experience was a disaster, as I picked the wrong school and the wrong major, so maybe Sam could've helped steer me to more suitable institution and career paths ... and saved me considerable financial and academic grief, as well as from personal mishaps that happened at that college and academic department!

Linda: My heart goes out to you from your experience. I've seen what suicide can do to those left behind. And I also know how difficult it is to get through to someone who's in a suicidal state. (No examples due to privacy concerns for those involved, but trust me, I can understand.) Really wish there was an easy answer to any of this, or a way to express feelings and empathy without feeling awkward.

-- Mike

i believe sam did in a way. he started leaping according to prelude on may 12 1995. strangely enough, it looked late at night, say 6-7 pm or so. my uncle called my mother around 10 EST to tell her that their father died. c'mon now, grandpa charles (whose nose has a resemblance of scott's & devotion to his 4 kids like scott & thin frame too) DID plan on "leaping out" of life the very time sam beckett "leaped". if that's not leaping into my life, what is? grandpa charles knew my fascination with scott (who was in favorite show matlock). if sam could leap anytime, i would like him to leap twice: tell me how joe was (my friend who was my al) as he died was he peaceful? did his heart just give out immediately? was he happy? (we knew his heart was weak & he should't have lived past 7) and jessica ann, was she happy? was it an accidental OD? but then again, i rest my case, sam DID leap...he makes sure that my grandfather's mission rings true: treat others the way you want to be treated, love your wife forever no matter what, & love your God

I'd have him do some of my work days for me, and have him change my decision to be put on the 'on call' list at work.

I've made any number of stupid choices--and I would change them if I could even though that would make me a different person. If I could pick one thing for Sam to do, I would want him to leap into me and say no to a particular guy, and continue saying no as long as necessary. He might have to stay in my life for a while. But then I would get to hang out with Al in the Waiting Room! It's a win-win. :D

I've actualy fantisised about Sam leaping into my life to change a number of situations in my life. One thing I'd have him change that would mean I wouldn't exist is help my father except being gay before marring my mother. It would have saved a lot of pain in both their lives.

I was in a real abusive relationship (in the mental way) for quite a while. I wish someone could have made me see the light sooner.

Strangely enough, there were worse things I have had happen but would not change. Some of those moments defined who I am and I wouldn't change them.

Well I don't want to share any details, but my mom's ex boyfriend did something bad to me when I was eight, that I let him do, and was told to keep it a secret from my mom. I did because I liked what he was doing. my mom caught him in the act eventually and he went to prison, but I would want Sam to stop the A-hole before he ever did what he did. :(

Sam Beckett Fan said:
Well I don't want to share any details, but my mom's ex boyfriend did something bad to me when I was eight, that I let him do, and was told to keep it a secret from my mom. I did because I liked what he was doing. my mom caught him in the act eventually and he went to prison, but I would want Sam to stop the A-hole before he ever did what he did. :(

You know Sam Becett Fan, I totaly unstand... But I can say though a hole lot of threrapy and over 10 years of getting through things I can say that I would want Sam to leap into my life at a different point. My grandma (mom side) the year before she died. I 22 and not into helping others much. My grandma at one point was my life, I sure could have use a slap across the head...telling me that I only had a year left with her and that I need to make the most of what I had left and make good memories, in stead of running and hidding. When she needed me the most I wasn't there for her! Thats what I wish could be changed...

aww that's sweet Julie, yeah luckily my dad died just hours after taking me on our weekly lunch date. So I got to say goodbye in a way, I just didn't know it was goodbye forever until the next morning when my mom told me. Unfortuantly there is no much Sam could do about that, except my best friend and I kind of referenced it. See she started a funny story about Sam leaping into her and having to save me from being hit by a car and dying. He does and I end up seeing him for who he is because I can tell after a while that Kristen is asking really not herself. well at the end when He is about to leap, Al tells Sam what he changed and mentions my father's death (the leap took place while kristen and I were still seniors in High School) and he hugs me and tells me that I dont need to know what Al is telling him just that everything is going to be ok.