Forum Manners

systemcat

Project QL Intern
This has been on my mind for a while.

I've been Al's Place for some time now, longer than with other forums for being an active poster:cheers . Now on the other hand during the same period I joined this forum I was using an all-out sci fi forum. That lead to an invite to another I've been with ever since, however ..now..

In this forum I post for the fun of it, good topics, good members that communicate well to each other:leappark. This other forum started out nice but in the last several months my opinion has changed over it.

It's webmaster asked me to be a Mod. and I'm honored that I was tapped for it but how he's acted towards me is another matter. The guy always wants new content for this website which is understandable, it's like a news/retro site. I've given him plenty of content but almost nothing of it has been posted. Some stuff has been on his hard drive for over a year from me and it still hasn't made his site and yet he wants more from me. He's snapped at members that quote un quote are bad apples. ..Isn't right in my opinion that that happens. He's even snapped at me a couple times. Also I was asked to promote his site at a con. once. ..After handing out a few hundred cards with the web address I never got a thank you.

Thing is one of his members which is also a staff member is also a member of my forum. I'm afraid that breaking off posting with his forum might lose me an active member. Any thoughts on what to do?

Well, uhm, I probably don't have the whole picture, but I love the sound of my own voice ...eh look of my own letters and can't resist trying to give advice. Feel free to ignore it.;)

So to sum this up, you feel like someone is bossing you around, having you do work for him, not being grateful and asks you to promote something you don't believe in? Is that about right? You may have your reasons for helping anyway, possibly pure kindness, but I'd say if it bothers you, why do would you keep doing it?
Am I right in assuming that what you really want to do is to pull out?
If so, from the little information I have I'd say, yeah definitely, you should.
And definitely make sure he knows you don't appreciate the way things are going now.

I think this person's friend would have to make up his/her own mind about what to do. It might make it harder for you to maintain something you care about, then again, the effort you put in to help the other guy, you would then have available to spend on your own project, and can possibly replace a leaving staff member or make it easier finding another.

There is a little more to this picture about if I leave the other forum. People who leave can get royally blasted by the higher staff of the site. I don't want people blasting my main site and all the work around it. The guy who works for the site is a good friend and poster. In fact he's the only member not to make staff at a high post count. Not any thing on my part, it's just he likes simply being a member. ..It's getting my name and work blasted that's another big factor in this :\ .

Pfeew. Tricky. Could you explain what getting your site blasted means? I don't now the term (I'm actually german on top of it :) ).

Is there a way to protect yourself? It sounds like something people shouldn't be allowed to do. Am I right? Sounds to me like you're being bullied.

jassian said:
Pfeew. Tricky. Could you explain what getting your site blasted means? I don't now the term (I'm actually german on top of it :) ).

Is there a way to protect yourself? It sounds like something people shouldn't be allowed to do. Am I right? Sounds to me like you're being bullied.

Guess I should be more normal in my speech. I tend to use interesting wording some times offline and forget not to use it on the internet. Your not the only Al's member to ask me what I meant by 'blasting'. Slammed, shoot down, bad mouth = blasting.

No there's no way I could protect my self but I've had it with the treatment I've been getting. Maybe others using that forum will realize one day how much the website has changed since it started and how it's webmaster is acting. ..I'm going to be stepping down as a Mod. there.

Unfortunately quite a few mods get bullied when they're in that rank. When I was a mod on a forum I used to frequent I was getting bullied quite a bit.

When it's like that it's best to ask to step down.

I'm glad to hear you're standing up for yourself. Hopefully they won't keep pestering you about it. I think your forum will probably speak for itself and the more they get to know the source of the badmouthing the less people would probably believe it anyway.

Yes as I do not have have a geezer of the full picture myself, there is only so much I can say.....

Is there any way you both can resolve this peacefully?

I was a member of a forum prior to this one, and the mods copped it from all members all of the time.

There were many mods who stepped down and even not used the site because they received disgusting words from members. Hooo boy scary stuff.

You have to do what is best for you without harming yourself.

Is there anyway of doing this?

Would this chap understand if you spoke to him in a civilized manner?

:)

angvav said:
Honestly, I don't think you need other people to make you site look good.

Your site would attract people without the guy, I'm sure of it :)

That isn't the case. For the most part I count on people to find my site on their own, not through this other forum. What happens is behind the scenes in the Mod. area of that forum other members talk about other members. If any one has ever crossed the site in a way not pleasing to the highest staff then they get bad mouthed.

A while back I heard people saying in that forum "it's the best on the net". False: no forum can claim such a thing. Forums can greatly succeed in their own categories but can't claim their the best on the net.

Some forums are fan based like this one or gaming based or news based and so on. Why even to one can't claim, is what about forums in other languages? This is the world wide web ;) .

So apparently the people on the other forum deem themselves quite influencial. Well, they may have some influence, but like Angvav said there are so many places people can come to your site from without ever hearing of the other forum. And personally, I wouldn't put much stock in somebody badmouthing a site to me if they seem to do this sort of thing as a matter of course. And as you said, there is no such place as an ultimate forum.

Not really knowing the exact dynamics behind this, my guess is you should be fine. :)

Aye. At first, when I sent you that suggestion, I thought he was going to come in and hack into the website, and ruin parts of it. I'd be lying if I said that there is more influencial people than other, but the internet is hard to guage because people don't know each other, and a different username would fool a lot of people. I agree, you probably shouldn't worry too much.

Please let us know if there's any unexpected trouble. Not that I'd know what to do, but you got yourself a bit of a think-tank here is case you need it. I think that I can probably speak for more people here that you won't be alone, should someone decide to pester you. :)

Welcome and thanks guys.
:cheers
This is a great place as I've stated before ..only feel bad that I can't chime in as much as I'd like to on the QL discussions. My DVD player can't handle two-sided disks. ( The media player on the computer is a shade too dark for normal viewing so playing the episodes means there's only one season I can pop in to play. )

It's probably because QL is about helping people, so someone who love QL probably loves helping people. :)

'Tis awesome.

Have you tried looking at the settings of your media player? It shouldn't be too dark.
Alternatively: do you have another DVD player software on your computer? if not you could look in your local store, they're not that expensive.
(we have one sided DVDs is the Australian version)

Do you have one of those CD burners? I believe that in every state of America, people can legally "burn" one copy of their CDs for personal use. You could probably take the CD and burn the two sides of the disk onto two seperate CDs. Just a thought, and if you haven't already copied the Quantum Leap disks, then it's legal as well.

jassian said:
It's probably because QL is about helping people, so someone who love QL probably loves helping people. :)

'Tis awesome.

Have you tried looking at the settings of your media player? It shouldn't be too dark.
Alternatively: do you have another DVD player software on your computer? if not you could look in your local store, they're not that expensive.
(we have one sided DVDs is the Australian version)

It's not just the media player, it's just the overall shading for screen tones. I don't want to reinstall the driver software, plus I don't know where the disk is.

ohboy said:
Do you have one of those CD burners? I believe that in every state of America, people can legally "burn" one copy of their CDs for personal use. You could probably take the CD and burn the two sides of the disk onto two seperate CDs. Just a thought, and if you haven't already copied the Quantum Leap disks, then it's legal as well.

Good idea, I have the software and a burner but ..no money for blanks to do the backing up.

Going back to something that Jassian said, I wonder if people who enjoy watching QL also enjoy helping others? That could be a whole new thread...

That's cool, ohboy! Could be an interesting question to explore.

I mean this is a forum full of people who love a story about a guy who gives up having his own life and identity just to make llittle bit of a difference.. yes he is trying to go home, but really he wants to do it, I think it's quite evident throughout the show. So would a story like this attact a certain kind of kind person? And maybe explain why this is such a cool forum?

I don't quite understand your argument. Are you saying that people who help others often don't take the time to respond to their own needs and wants? I don't mean to come across as confrontational, I'm just asking for clarification.