So what happens after Sam leaps?

dg452

Project QL Intern
Jan 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
This has always something that has had me thinking. What happens after Dr. Sam Beckett leaps? I know Al informs Sam of what happens to the person he leaps into, but since Sam re-wrote history...does this mean that the person he leaped into gains previous knowledge of what happened while Sam was in his/her body? Example and just because I recently watched this episode, Heart of a Champion: Sam (Terry Sammis) makes a bet with Ronnie that if they win the title, he has to go see a doctor, so since they do win, ronnie lives and sam leaps, but does the real Terry Sammis gain the knowledge that he saved his brother's life by wrestling all by himself?

We know that at least some of the people in the waiting room (leapees) get interviewed/analysed by Dr. Beeks. We've seen Al talk to leapees several times, and Al has also described conversations with the leapee on other occasions, so I think it's a safe bet that Al talks every leapee at some point.

So I would imagine that Al has the option of filling them in on any changes that Sam makes and helping them be ready to re-acclimate.

When you leap, you are pretty confused at first, so others will help fill in the blanks and explain anything else as well.

In Double Identity Sam originally leaps into Frankie. When Sam and Theresa are together in Don Geno's attic later on in the episode when Sam was trying to recreate the time he lept in so that he could be retrieved, Don Geno finds them in the attic. At that point the blackout occurs and Sam leaps out of Frankie and into Don Geno. Frankie (as himself) is quite worried when he realizes he's been caught by Don Geno and can't remember that it's the day after the wedding and tries to make up an excuse that he and Theresa are looking for luggage or something like that. This suggets that the leapee has no clue what has happened during the time they were in the waiting room or even that they had been leaped out of themselves.

In Double Identity Sam originally leaps into Frankie. When Sam and Theresa are together in Don Geno's attic later on in the episode when Sam was trying to recreate the time he lept in so that he could be retrieved, Don Geno finds them in the attic. At that point the blackout occurs and Sam leaps out of Frankie and into Don Geno. Frankie (as himself) is quite worried when he realizes he's been caught by Don Geno and can't remember that it's the day after the wedding and tries to make up an excuse that he and Theresa are looking for luggage or something like that. This suggets that the leapee has no clue what has happened during the time they were in the waiting room or even that they had been leaped out of themselves.

At the end of "Roberto", Sam says on TV he'll be talking about his "experience on an alien spacecraft" (I think), so this suggests that they have some memory of the Waiting Room.

In "The Leap Back", Sam lost all memory of his leaps, so this suggests that all the leapees gained those memories. Also, In "A Leap For Lisa", St John reminds Sam that he loses parts of his memory after every leap, suggesting that he probably would not remember most of what happened on other leaps - so the leapee probably gets them when they leap back.

The gaining of these memories must take a little time though, because in the early seasons, Sam remembers his most previous leap, and also in "Double Identity", Frankie did not have any idea what Sam had done as him.

I think the writer's played it both ways at times, and the Swiss cheesed memory probably plays a major role either way. Once time has changed, a ripple is created thereby affecting every time to follow. Perhaps this "ripple" doesn't reach the Leapees before they Leap back to themselves? Whatever it is, they'll have to get used to it.