The Beast Within

• Total voters

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
The Beast Within
November 6, 1972

Somewhere in Washington State

Mistaken for the creature Bigfoot, Sam leaps into a Vietnam veteran named Henry Adams who lives with another vet, Roy Brown, in the mountains away from civilization. Roy has seizures and hallucinations and needs medication to prevent them. But the town sheriff, who has an old war secret to hide, is preventing Sam and Roy from coming into town to get the medicine.

Written by: John D'Aquino
Directed by: Gus Trikonis

Rate and comment on this episode!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this episode. For some reason it makes me think of Tim O'Brien's Things They Carried. Probably mostly because the main guy in this episode is named Henry after a fellow Solider of O'Brien in the book, and also it makes me think of the book when Al tells Sam that Henry Adams made a novel out of his journal.

But also because like the book this episode deals with loss, pain, wounds and inability to be a part of civilzation again because of the Vietnam War. It also stresses the soldier friendship honor code. I could swear I heard somewhere that solider's agreed that if something happened to him his best friend would marry his wife. It's not an actual written rule it's just something that was developed on it's own. And Luke Married John's wife which is especially deep because he blames himself.

I also love seeing Sam in his doctor moments so this episode gave that treat, he was kind of hot in his outfit, minus the bigfoot coat and hat.
And I found it adorable when he woke up and greeted the doe that had wondered into his tent.
"Morning."
*doe looks up at him*
"Can I get you anything?"
*doe turns and leaves*
"Guess not"

so cute. :)

The only thing I have against this episode is that I dislike the whole thing with the references to bigfoot. It's slightly annoying. That kid was kind of a brat about it, actually expecting people to believe something as out there as Bigfoot as if it were a common sight like a deer prancing in the middle of the road(at least where they are that's a common sight anyway). So that annoyed me.
Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
And then especially how Sam and Al actually saw him at the end.

That was extremely corny, stupid and unrealistic in my opinion.

But aside from Bigfoot this was a very good and meaningful episode with deep messages about the men that go out and defend our country in these wars.

Last edited:
Sam Beckett Fan said:
Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
And then especially how Sam and Al actually saw him at the end.

That was extremely corny, stupid and unrealistic in my opinion.

Aw, shucks, that was my favorite part! :)

Aww that's cool Snish, I don't mind that other poeple like it, we are all entitled to our opinions. And I must admit I always love seeing Al in his superticous, believeing in ghosts, and creatures etc... mode. hehe.

I thought this episode were quite good. I really like the all Bigfoot story(No wounder i'm a "X- Files,fan,ahh? :)) and the all "Vietnam veteran" story was quite good and interesting,too.
after seeng almost 90% of the fifth season I'm really sorry this season had so much ups and down and just couldn't keep the higher standards we've seen during the previous seasons of the show.

I don't know...in a series about time travel where Sam physically leaps and yet fits into all sorts of clothing that shouldn't and where dead people come back as angels, Bigfoot doesn't seem like that big of a stretch.

Why I liked this episode

This episode is one of my favorites, maybe because it takes place in my backyard. I live in Eastern Washington State. I've been trying to pinpoint the location of that leap, but the county on Luke's badge is hard to read and I think it's a fictional county anyway. I don't understand why they wouldn't want to tell what county. They also mention Wilamette Peak. Well Wilamette is in Oregon! They could be in SW Washington between Portland and Olympia. If I had to guess they're somewhere either near Spokane (where I live) or in the Cascades western foothills. Maybe in Pierce or Snohomish about 1-2 hours east of Seattle. That's where the most mountainous areas are. Most of the center of the state is practically desert.