Home

The Leap Back 2009 Convention Forum

Contact

Old 03-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
feldon30
Forum Technician

Default Leap Back 2009 Blog

In addition to Donna's LiveJournal page, I will be blogging from the Convention show floor and posting photos and hopefully give folks an impression as if they were actually there. Hopefully there will be lots of updates from everyone and more than enough info for folks at home to enjoy.

http://www.leapback2009.com/blog/

My previous experience is covering the Sony FanFaire '08 specifically EQ2.

Look forward to seeing you all there and letting the folks at home feel like they're a part of the action. I will be reading and responding primarily to Comments on the blog by the way, so please use that system if you want to make suggestions/comments.

Best Regards,

Morgan
Old 03-28-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
feldon30
Forum Technician

Posted all Friday and some Saturday pics.

More as I have it.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
Wrong Arturo
Imaging Chamber Technician

Awesome, Feldon! Thanks for posting these. I so wish I could be there.

Is that the ORIGINAL handlink? And the original Ziggy interface board? I'm going to faint!!
Old 03-29-2009, 12:29 AM   #4
jassian
Project Observer

Thanks from me too !!
Old 03-29-2009, 01:01 AM   #5
EmmaCMF
Leaper

Thank you from this member of the committee, who hasn't had a chance to see 90% of what has been going on - thank goodness people have been blogging it for us to look at later!

EmmaCMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:07 AM   #6
ohboy
Junior Leaper

I too say thank you for putting up the blog for those like me who couldn't make. It's also nice to see some of the members on this site, to put a face with the username.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
feldon30
Forum Technician

the displays room is Deborah Pratt's private collection of memorabilia.

That's one of the original handlinks, yes.

Surprise guest today was Liz Torres!!
Old 03-30-2009, 12:53 AM   #8
feldon30
Forum Technician

Back in Houston.

Scott came out and sang Somewhere in the Night with Velton Ray Bunch performing the music. He thanked Deborah Pratt (who came out of the wings) and joked with her a bit.

Then it was on to the Scott Bakula vs. Jay Schwartz trivia contest (his publicist and close friend who donated a ton of his QL memorabilia at the event and it was auctioned off early in the morning and more was to be auctioned at 4pm). That was a riot.

Then Don came on and of course he said that QL should have gone on for years afterwards. He is currently working on NCIS of course and also 3 movies. No word of any QL projects.

Dean Stockwell was able to join us via phone. He was calling from somewhere there had recently been snow (Utah?). It was a bit hard to understand for him and for us, but Scott and Don made the most of it and brought up some old stories.

Earlier in the day, Deborah Pratt was reading from her new Quantum Leap novel which picks up after the end of the show with Sammy Jo Fuller trying to get the project going again.

It was real thrill to hang around with MJ (QLDamsel), Brian (owner of this site and CEO of the Con) who put this whole thing together (and he does a pretty good impression of Al the Bartender in the right attire ). I also got to hang out with Brian's friend from grade school John, and I cannot leave out Mike whose forum nickname escapes me but he is a prominent contributor in the writing sections and just a great guy as well.

And yes, every second of every day was videotaped so I am really looking forward to the DVDs.

Again, I am really looking forward to others posting their recollections, their stories. And I really hope all those folks who had $1,000+ cameras with 8 inch long lenses will share their photos. I took what I could with Rebel XT but did not have the telephoto lens necessary to get the best possible shots. And I didn't see any of the early Friday morning stuff or the Costume Contest Saturday night. I know there are some amazing photos out there and hope to see them. Shoot me an e-mail if you need a place to put them.

What else can I say?

Scott IS going to make a signing appearance in Britain which he had not done before. He tries to keep his appearances around the county to a minimum why? Because he loves his family and wants to spend as much time with them as he can.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:57 AM   #9
feldon30
Forum Technician

Another post and then bed for this Tired Leaper.

As I mentioned above, a last-second surprise was Liz Torres who came out and joined the panel with Brad Silverman, John D'Aquino, and that was just great. She was quite funny and as always surprised at just how supportive we all are.

I want to take a moment to say something about Brad. 2 different fans came up to the microphones and had questions specifically for Brad. Both of them had debilitating illnesses that they have had to deal with recently or for many years, and they both shared with Brad that watching him had been an inspiration to them and helped them keep going.

The next words out of Brad's mouth were probably some of the best wisdom I've heard in a long time. I can't even recall the exact wording but he said you just have to put yourself out there and tell people what you want to do and don't let yourself get stuck. I think his speech in response to that question will be a highlight of the DVD for certain.

Well I'm signing off for the evening. I still have a ton of photos to post. Some from Saturday and of course a ton from today.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:58 AM   #10
feldon30
Forum Technician

P.S. I will merge all my comments that I'm posting here with the Blog so they're in both places.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:49 PM   #11
feldon30
Forum Technician

Mirror Image is still a rough episode to watch. Yes, the misspelling of Dr. Beckett by the intern (?). The DVD of Mirror Image has the correct music. Not sure why Season 2 has the wrong music but Season 5 has the right music for the same scene.

Jay Schwartz said something about a forthcoming boxed set of QL and hoped that Universal would get it done before the convention because then they would have sold stacks of them.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:45 AM   #12
feldon30
Forum Technician

Got the rest of my photos posted:
http://www.leapback2009.com/blog/
Old 04-05-2009, 06:49 PM   #13
JulieB
Imaging Chamber Technician

I believe it was DPB himself who said something along the lines of, "you shouldn't examine this too closely." ;-)
Old 04-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #14
Avilos
Accelerator Technician

I am slightly embarrassed by how I did during the Trivia Contest.

I did OK and got a few that no one else did. But there were a few I knew and did not answer but I was dead tired and in a daze. I had actually laid down in my room before that and had just woken up and walked to the Ball Room in time for my name to picked.

I can't remember her name but one of my teammates knew everything! So the pressure was off me to even try that hard. Some I was close on - I said April 8th 1969 was the date Tom Beckett died. Right date wrong year - it really was 1970!!!! I should have known that!!!

Don Bellisario on why he used the name Tom so much in Quantum Leap

(Yes my name is Tom. So when he told me that I had a big grin on my face! )
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:11 PM   #15
Avilos
Accelerator Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieB View Post
I believe it was DPB himself who said something along the lines of, "you shouldn't examine this too closely." ;-)
Unless it was your job to write a Quantum Leap Encyclopedia....

Don Bellisario on why he used the name Tom so much in Quantum Leap

(Yes my name is Tom. So when he told me that I had a big grin on my face! )
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #16
MO
Pulse Communications Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avilos View Post
I am slightly embarrassed by how I did during the Trivia Contest.

I did OK and got a few that no one else did. But there were a few I knew and did not answer but I was dead tired and in a daze. I had actually laid down in my room before that and had just woken up and walked to the Ball Room in time for my name to picked.

I can't remember her name but one of my teammates knew everything! So the pressure was off me to even try that hard. Some I was close on - I said April 8th 1969 was the date Tom Beckett died. Right date wrong year - it really was 1970!!!! I should have known that!!!
My name was called for the trivia contest, but I was upstairs in my room getting dressed. If only I had hurried faster! And I knew Miss Cornmuffin, and Deke's Dragon. Ah, well. Better luck next con.

PS, I think you guys did great! All of you!