Average 1 1.54%
Fair 0 0%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2007, 03:49 PM   #76
NeuroMason
Control Room Technician

Cool

who knows ... lol all i do know is that can make Handlink Replicas in case anybody wants to open an imaging chamber door!! Take a look at my Thread titled "The Handlink"

Brad
Old 12-15-2007, 01:04 PM   #77
ChickenStu
Imaging Chamber Technician

Great episode. Huge fun. It was a real trip to see the inside of Project Quantum Leap.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #78
ohboy
Junior Leaper

This was a great episode for me to watch. One advantage of watching the reruns for the rist time is that the most one has to usually wait is one weekend for the next episode. Even better when a season finale and a season opening are one day apart from each other.

I loved this episode, especially how Al had to cope with all this. And it was nice to see Al's current wife. I thought that the high-pitched voice and the dumb attitude were a bit much, but I digress. This was one of the those episodes that I could watch again and again.

Of course, it could just be me, but I was happy that at the end, things went back to business as usual. Sam had to leap in time, Al had to help while sprinkling some off-colored remarks in the process, and Gooshie and the rest had to keep running Ziggy to try and get Sam out of his next problem.

When I first watched this episode, I thought "this should have been a season finale episode". After all, it would have made the fact that Sam would have leaped home much more probable. However, after writing this, I think that it was a good idea to put this at the beginning, because it really reaffirmed Sam's missions, and gave some insight that people could take with them as the season took off.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #79
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer

Al wasn't married to Tina... she was just his girlfriend of the time.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:18 AM   #80
Staupah
PQL Visitor

In this episode one can see hints that Sam will not return: Ziggy couldn't pull him back, Sam speaks from the sky.
By the way, Al tells Sam's wife that he is in a shape of a comic (I think, it's episode Stand Up) but there we don't see that Sam sends any messager to his wife
Old 04-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #81
NYCSciFiFan
Accelerator Technician

Staupau, I only recently realized what your name means. That should have been a question in the trivia contest!
Old 04-17-2009, 12:54 AM   #82
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSciFiFan View Post
Staupau, I only recently realized what your name means. That should have been a question in the trivia contest!
Forgive me, NYC, but I don't get it?
Old 09-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #83
bowspearer
PQL Visitor

I just watched this episode again after seeing it when it first aired, and I have to say that I think this episode was nothing short of brilliant and completely disagree with all the criticisms of Donna's characterisation and of the whole Abigail situation.

People say that the whole Abigail situation is completely at odds with this but it isn't. When Sam is on the balcony with Donna, he saysthat he's almost forgotten everythign that happened to him on the leaps, kind of a "reverse swiss-cheesing" making it clear that Sam's cannot hav an intact memory of his life outside of being a leaper while he's a leaper and visa versa. When Same met with Abigail, he'd swiss cheesed with her father and will in the space of a few days, feeling every single protective instinct and loving feeling that both of them had towards her. Plus she was the one who needed to be saved, so those feelings, coupled with the drive to "put right what once went wrong" meant that his feelings for Abigal are only natural. Remember that Al says at the end of the episode that he'll have no memory of either Abigail or Sammie Jo.

Ok now onto Donna herself, I have to say that she's about the strongest example of the old saying of "behind every great man there's a great woman" that I've ever seen.

This is a woman who has to choose between her husband knowing she's alive where he can stay completely faithful to her and having him unable to properly help others and having people die and have their lives ruined as a result.

The other option of course is to deliberately mislead her husband into thinking he's not married, that Donna isn't still with him, or even exists if the "swiss-cheesing" is bad enough and where he can potentially cheat on her with hundreds if not thousands of women unknowingly, so that countless lives and futures can be saved.

People criticise the grimace Donna made, but think about it- Donna knew what had to be done, but this wasthe man she loved, who she'd had to lead to believe for four years wasn't in his life, was never married to him. You can know that a decision is right, but when it harms the person you love, it doesn't change the guilt or the pain over havign had to make it.

I mean you listen to her wording and the tone of her voice. When Sam asked if he'd ever done anything to cheat on her, her response is that she never felt he'd done anything to betray their love. That doesn't mean she didn't feel like he'd cheated on her or acted unfaithfully, just that he did it unknowingly. Could you imagine what that must be like, knowing tht you have a spouse who loves you undeniably but because of their job they not only wind up forgetting you involuntarily, but are romantically involved with countless other people on a daily basis?

Then just as she has him again, he's forced to go back, to leave the very woman he loves knowing that if he doesn't, the friend who has saved him countless times, will himslf die. After losing someone for what seemed like would be an eternity only to have to lose them again, who wouldn't crack, be overwhelmed by their own emotions for a minute.

At the same time, Sam himself is torn, knowing what has to be done, but hating every minute of it, so much so that he pauses and when he does, Donna realises that to truly love Sam and truly let him be the man she fell in love with, she has to risk never seeing him again.

Then at the end of it all, she has to go back to ordering Al to keep her a secret, which can have only been even more painful at that point. Her only comfort being her knowledge of astronomy and using the distance of different stars as a way of bridging the time gap and feeling close ot the man she loves. I honestly believe that that last "I love you too Donna" was something she could hear deep down and came from the part of him which gave himself amnesia and leapt himself around for the greater good.

Even Al comments on what a remarkable woman she is. I honestly think they're one of film's greatest love stories.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #84
bowspearer
PQL Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohboy View Post
He's referring to the second leaper in the Finale.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #85
NYCSciFiFan
Accelerator Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
He's referring to the second leaper in the Finale.
"She," not "he"

I figured everyone else knew that Staupau was the name of the crochety leaper from the Series Finale. since no one commented prior, I thought I was the only one who didn't "get" it.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #86
bowspearer
PQL Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSciFiFan View Post
"She," not "he"

I figured everyone else knew that Staupau was the name of the crochety leaper from the Series Finale. since no one commented prior, I thought I was the only one who didn't "get" it.

I stand corrected
Old 07-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #87
quantumwonderer
PQL Visitor

Great episode. Too bad Sam's time home was short because he had to re-leap.

This proves that Sam could not be leaping himself as he needed to get back in the accelarator once again. If Al the bartender was correct than why did not Sam leap automatically when he realized he needed to be the leaper when Al his best friend was unconsious in the past! He did not and had to use his invention to do it.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #88
Trudy
Waiting Room Visitor

This is probably one of my favorite episodes. As an Al fan, how COULDN'T it be?

There were very few tiffs I had with this episode, and most of them were brought up years ago, sadly! Like many people, I don't think that Donna's replacement actress was the best fit, and... well, I really didn't like her acting in general in this episode. And while the writing was really good, there was more that could have been done to make Donna a sympathetic character. Case in point:

Sam: How many times has Al saved my life?
Ziggy: 23.
Donna: I don't care!

Donna's reaction could have been sympathetic. I could have felt terribly sorry for her, as I know I should have, because four years without your husband, never knowing that if he'd ever come down was probably heartbreaking for her. But the timing was awful. If that "I don't care!" line had come anytime before Sam's line, I might have been able to sympathize with her.

But I wasn't. And that last scene with her and Al at the very end was not as touching as I think it was supposed to be because all I could think about was how Donna could hold a conversation with Al after what she said to Sam.

On some level, it also bothers me that Donna and Sam are together anyway. Putting aside my qualms with Donna as a character, I don't understand why she wouldn't have ended up with the guy she was supposed to marry before meeting Sam. But then again, I have qualms with Sam trying to break his own rules for himself, but not for other people.

Those quibbles aside, a really enjoyable episode. Like many others here, I really wish this would have been a two-parter; they could have fleshed out the story of the character Al leapt into (maybe even did something better than knocked-in-the-head-by-girlfriend's-vindictive-ex-fiancee) and we would have really gotten a chance to know the other characters that are part of the Quantum Leap Project.

Maybe I could have even liked Donna.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #89
Al's the Best
PQL Visitor

I've always wondered, when Sam and Al simo leap at the end of Shock Theater Sam leaps and when he arrives in 1945 he is still in the hospital gown he was in when in when he leaped! Does that mean when poor Sam Beeterman leapt back he was naked? LOL!

Also, I wish that Sam wasn't married since it's highly unlikely their marriage would have survived their time apart as well as the fact that Sam slept with all of these women and Donna was never turned off by it! I mean I always wonder what Donna thought when he had a child by another woman?
Old 03-13-2012, 04:30 AM   #90
leaper1
PQL Security Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al's the Best View Post
I've always wondered, when Sam and Al simo leap at the end of Shock Theater Sam leaps and when he arrives in 1945 he is still in the hospital gown he was in when in when he leaped! Does that mean when poor Sam Beeterman leapt back he was naked? LOL!

Also, I wish that Sam wasn't married since it's highly unlikely their marriage would have survived their time apart as well as the fact that Sam slept with all of these women and Donna was never turned off by it! I mean I always wonder what Donna thought when he had a child by another woman?

Shameless plug...

The whole Donna marriage thing bothers me too, so for a long time I avoided it in my fanfic. However, I did address it, and her relationship with Sammi Jo, in my stories 'Snake in the Grass' and 'ME, myself and Sam' over at
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/827199/Madders_Ahatter

They are nos 4 & 5 in a five story arc - but you could probably read them without the first three without losing too much in terms of that relationship.

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.(Leo Buscaglia) Helen in Bedford
leaper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #91
Shizuoka Leaper
PQL Visitor

The opening exchanges between Sam and Al, and then the milkman are classic Quantum Leap! Top episode, and great performances from the Scott and Dean.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #92
MichelleD
Control Room Technician

I loved this one...Sam and Al's reactions when they found out they had changed places was classic. :-)

Also, about Sam being married...He wouldn't have gotten involved with other women if he'd remembered he was married. And they didn't have him sleep around indiscriminately. He kissed a number of women, but he would usually leap before anything else happened. ;-) He was pretty straight-laced as far as T.V. characters go. Of course part of that was to have the contrast with Al's lovable womanizer character. :-)
Old 08-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #93
MichelleD
Control Room Technician

I couldn't go back and edit my last post for some reason.

Scott and Dean had some really hysterical lines in this one...They were probably having a blast with this. Some of my favorites: "Vengeance (or revenge) is mine thus sayeth the hologram!"

"You have a filthy mind!"

"A body like that and I'm thinking pure thoughts?"

"Take a hike, Mr. Morals, Calavicci is taking charge" (or something to that effect, not sure if I'm quoting it exactly). Too funny.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #94
ChickenStu
Imaging Chamber Technician

Lovely episode this one. I remember being thrilled to bits with it when I saw it as a kid. It had never occurred to me really to wonder what was behind the door that Al always walked through. I don't think it really occurred to many of the fans.

Was there fan demand to see the inside of project Quantum Leap?

Cause if not, that means this episode was just simply organic and not a jumping of the shark. To finally see what Ziggy looked like was a real thrill. To see Gushie again, to see Tina... all these people that Al talked about and we finally get to SEE them! And Sam being married to Donna Eleese was a nice touch also.

I'm glad that more visits to the inside of PQL were featured in episodes after this (mainly in season 5) but were still done sparingly and only when the story required it.

Overall, this show added to the atmosphere and feel of the show from then on. Great stuff!
Old 08-03-2013, 01:21 AM   #95
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

While I have already stated an opinion of this episode I'd like to amend it without even backtracking to remind myself of the previous. It's far in the past.

What truly brings me back to this thread is Bowspearer's amazing comment which reflects how I feel wholeheartedly.

There is no way I could outdo this statement:
Quote:
I have to say that she's about the strongest example of the old saying of "behind every great man there's a great woman" that I've ever seen.
Personally I am a huge fan of the Sam and Donna relationship and her character, I and my best friend both. From the joy it brought him to be around her and his determination to make her his forever in Star Crossed to the same spell she had him under and their instant reconnection like they hadn't been a part for a minute here during his short return home.
Actually a moment that always gets my heart going no matter how many times I watch this episode is the powerful emotion that came over Sam as the memory of his beloved wife was returning to him and the betrayal in his demand of Al:
"Why didn't you tell me!?"

Scott expressed in last year's Comic Con panel in response to a question regarding Donna's situation that his outlook was that she understood and accepted his purpose along with the uncontrollable circumstances in which he fulfills it, including his having no memory of her. She tells Sam herself:
"I never once felt that you betrayed our love." This despite some questionable situations such as Sam's rekindled crush on his piano teacher, Nicole in Catch a Falling Star.
Scott also seemed to disagree with Donna's statement to Al that Sam couldn't act as freely with the memory of her because Sam is the kind of person who never turns his back on anyone in need at literally all costs and he would know that Donna understands thus that he would not be hurting her.
We've seen him ensure a mission's success regardless of conflicting perspectives such as disapproval of a task or a personal pursuit such as Donna herself. Sam Beckett will always do the right thing in the end.

You can fine the panel at Youtube. Search Quantum Leap Comic Con 2012 (I advise turning up your volume especially when Dean speaks though he doesn't much, the sound system is poor at this panel. I couldn't make out most of the questions and barely some of the answers).

This leads me into my next point; the conflict between his marriage to Donna and his deep relationship with Abigail during a series of very intense leaps. For some reason it doesn't seem to be a popular opinion that Donna and Sammy Jo could co-exist and logically would since Sam had changed his future with Donna first (though you could get complicated and argue this with the years in which the leaps occurred). Abigail was not a betrayal of their marriage not under the circumstances and Donna could have chosen during that leap to remind him that he's married.
Another good point that my best friend brought up was in making a brilliant connection to Leaping in Without a Net the line Eva used about her mother's death and her father's blame lying with her brother.
"He couldn't blame mama, he loved her too much."
Here I'll probably be no more than repeating Bowspearer's wonderful description but Abigail was a relationship of circumstance. In a sense he knew her for most of her life and was deeply effected by the tragic and eerie situations he always found her in. It could have also been in play that the adult Abigail he slept with happened to resemble Donna if memory serves. Though it's not canon the concept that he could unconsciously recognize his wife in those who resemble her was explored in the novel 'Independence' when he once again leaps far outside his lifetime into an ancestor. This time it's even farther back in his ancestry, in the middle of the Revolutionary War and he gets quite the crush on his host's wife who greatly resembles Donna. The ending scene where Al explains this to Donna is real well done.
The fact that Sammy Jo is implied to be the key to bringing Sam home is something Donna would certainly embrace and you could argue was the real reason he kept being put in Abigail's life. Not for her but for himself, to conceive the child who would provide what the project needed to bring him home, a version of his own mind.
This is why when I just read the novel Loch Ness Leap which revolves around Sammy Jo it bothered me that Donna was not there. That and I just adore Donna.

To touch on a more light hearted matter, the second best thing about this episode is the humor revolved around Sam and Al switching sexual mind sets. Sam is such a crack up the way he's immediately shamed every time he vomits an Al comment.

Side Note: Though it's clear why Sam's carrying the memory of Donna while leaping would cause conflict, my best friend and I have discussed how it doesn't fit with how he seems to be able to recover most every other memory of his personal life. Such as how at the end of this episode Al tells Donna that Sam doesn't remember the simo-leap and yet he references it a few episodes later in Dreams. But I digress.

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #96
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaper1 View Post
Shameless plug...

The whole Donna marriage thing bothers me too, so for a long time I avoided it in my fanfic. However, I did address it, and her relationship with Sammi Jo, in my stories 'Snake in the Grass' and 'ME, myself and Sam' over at
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/827199/Madders_Ahatter

They are nos 4 & 5 in a five story arc - but you could probably read them without the first three without losing too much in terms of that relationship.
I'm afraid I can't find these stories since you deleted them, do you have them archived anywhere else?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #97
leaper1
PQL Security Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie View Post
I'm afraid I can't find these stories since you deleted them, do you have them archived anywhere else?
Thanks for your interest. Sorry, I had some complaints that the subject matter was too strong for ff.net so I moved them to AO3

http://archiveofourown.org/works/527761
http://archiveofourown.org/works/541892

I must repeat the caution here - they deal with adult themes and some may find disturbing. Read at your own discretion.

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.(Leo Buscaglia) Helen in Bedford
leaper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #98
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Something has just occurred to me, watching this episode now.
"Don't you remember? The timeline in Ziggy's databanks were limited to your lifetime."
"Right, and Al's in 1945."
"And we didn't know that until we got your letter."

How did they not know the year until it is disclosed in Sam's letter? Why didn't they speak to Tom Jared in the waiting room?

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Old 08-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #99
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan View Post
Something has just occurred to me, watching this episode now.
"Don't you remember? The timeline in Ziggy's databanks were limited to your lifetime."
"Right, and Al's in 1945."
"And we didn't know that until we got your letter."

How did they not know the year until it is disclosed in Sam's letter? Why didn't they speak to Tom Jared in the waiting room?
One can assume that since the Project went into lockdown thinking there had been an explosion and needing protection from the radioactive fallout, that the Waiting Room was sealed off as the Imaging Chamber had been... I expect that only the Control Room was accessible at the time, for the purpose of trying to locate Sam and override the failsafe procedure.

Which gets me thinking - is there a supply of food and water in the Waiting Room? Otherwise Tom Jared might have been very dehydrated and hungry by the time they could get to him...
Old 08-28-2013, 04:14 AM   #100
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Perhaps though I feel it's cruel and against Sam's (or in this case Al's) well being to deny the staff access to the guest especially in an emergency situation; some of which leave the guest as the only access to information on the leaper's whereabouts. Mirror Image makes a strong example of this when Al was lucky enough to find Sam on a hunch because since he leapt in as himself they didn't receive a guest.

-=-=-=-=-
Signature made by me.