Good 7 21.88%
Average 1 3.13%
Fair 1 3.13%
Poor 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #26
iMonrey
Waiting Room Visitor

I thought this episode would be harder to watch than it was. It was a tough subject to tackle and it was well handled, hitting all the emotional beats just right. Also a bit of a mystery story, in that it's a case of "he said, she said."

But I'm not sure it was a very well constructed episode. We're missing what we need most - the usual exposition from Al explaining what happened to Katie and Kevin afterwards, which leaves the whole purpose of the Leap somewhat up in the air. In the original history, Katie never pressed charges, so it's unlikely that Kevin would have attacked her a second time. In the revised history, "Katie" brings the case the trial which is what provokes Kevin to attack her again - this time he gets punched out and Katie's parents call the police. So does Kevin end up in jail after all for assault and battery? I'd like to think that was the point of the Leap, to make sure Kevin got arrested even if he was found innocent of the rape.

The problem is, I find it highly unlikely Kevin would try to attack Katie mere steps from her own front door when anyone could see him and catch him. If he were that much of a psychopath he would have been arrested years earlier. So the resolution didn't quite ring true - the second attack should have taken place somewhere more remote, with witnesses happening upon the scene and being able to verify Katie's version of the story.

And I didn't even bring up the obvious impossibility of the case going to trial just a few days after charges are brought.

So, emotionally, it was very, very good. Structurally, it was a bit of a mess.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:02 AM   #27
ladystoneheart
Imaging Chamber Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMonrey View Post
The problem is, I find it highly unlikely Kevin would try to attack Katie mere steps from her own front door when anyone could see him and catch him. If he were that much of a psychopath he would have been arrested years earlier. So the resolution didn't quite ring true - the second attack should have taken place somewhere more remote, with witnesses happening upon the scene and being able to verify Katie's version of the story.
I thought he didn't plan on attacking Katie.I think he just wanted to intimidate her but when he saw she didn't back off,he snapped.He was already unstable and violent.
The issue was how fast the trial went on as you guys have already mentioned.
Btw what is the longest leap of Sam? or do they usually have a time period between 2 or 3 days?
Old 09-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #28
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladystoneheart View Post
I thought he didn't plan on attacking Katie.I think he just wanted to intimidate her but when he saw she didn't back off,he snapped.He was already unstable and violent.
The issue was how fast the trial went on as you guys have already mentioned.
Btw what is the longest leap of Sam? or do they usually have a time period between 2 or 3 days?
One of the longest leaps Sam had to take was Temptation Eyes, he was there for over two weeks... I'm not sure how long this particular leap was expected to take...
Old 09-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #29
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Something I forgot to clarify in my previous post is that although this episode is becoming a favorite it's still difficult enough to watch that it doesn't make my frequent watch list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dana
Less than a week elapses between the time the crime is committed to the time they go to trial; it's like, a weekend. Wha-??? This is wrong on so many levels. -- In order for the timeline to be believable, Sam would have to be Katie for at least several months. That's the minimum time it would take to go from commission of the crime to trial. More like a year, but this seemed like a small town, where cases would move faster.
Though it's true that the duration of the incident was unrealistic do keep in mind that this is an hour per episode TV show. in order for it to have been portrayed with that much time passing they would have had to leap Sam ahead after he pressed charges. Which probably would not have worked as the real Katie McBane may not have continued with it. Had it though I'd say they probably would have needed to make it a two part episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie View Post
It's assumed that with Diane McBride as the new head of the Committee, she keeps approving the funding for the project. I have a feeling that she subconsciously knows that Sam helped her, and that is proof enough of its existence in her eyes...
Agreed here. It's stated that she found Sam's name familiar when she read it in the file though she couldn't place it. It's quite possible that she eventually put it together and realized that her "husband" had not been roleplaying that night on the train.

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by Sam Beckett Fan; 09-13-2013 at 02:21 AM.
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:20 PM   #30
servo75

Quote:
One of the longest leaps Sam had to take was Temptation Eyes, he was there for over two weeks... I'm not sure how long this particular leap was expected to take...
Apologies for the off-topic, but Sam and Tamlyn had to be destiny, because why else would Sam leap in two weeks ahead of her killing?
Sort of, yes.
Must not be much of a looker, huh?
I wouldn't let her hear you say that.
servo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:24 PM   #31
servo75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedana View Post
Snort. Especially since it's a straight shot on I-90, east to west. When hubby drives, it's 3 hours; when I drive, it's 2 1/2 - and that's with a pitstop at Framingham.
I don't think I-90 was ever a two-lane road
Sort of, yes.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:28 PM   #32
servo75

Default Katie in the imaging chamber

Maybe I'm being too technical, but somehow they got Sam to see and hear Katie. But how was it Katie was able to hear AND see the prosecutor? I was under the impression that only Al was able to see and hear Sam, even if he was touching someone, Sam could see them but not vice/versa.

And while this may have freaked people out, I would think that if Sam could see and hear Katie, couldn't everyone else in 1980? Katie wasn't specifically tuned into Sam's brainwaves.
Sort of, yes.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:00 AM   #33
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by servo75 View Post
Maybe I'm being too technical, but somehow they got Sam to see and hear Katie. But how was it Katie was able to hear AND see the prosecutor? I was under the impression that only Al was able to see and hear Sam, even if he was touching someone, Sam could see them but not vice/versa.
Actually that's not true, in "Shock Theater" Dr Beeks was brought into the Imaging Chamber and she could see and hear Sam as well.

Quote:
And while this may have freaked people out, I would think that if Sam could see and hear Katie, couldn't everyone else in 1980? Katie wasn't specifically tuned into Sam's brainwaves.
The stuff that is projected from the Imaging Chamber is tuned into Sam's brainwaves, so no, Katie wouldn't be able to be seen by the courtroom (unless it was a child under five or someone mentally ill).
Old 02-25-2016, 04:39 PM   #34
servo75

Quote:
Actually that's not true, in "Shock Theater" Dr Beeks was brought into the Imaging Chamber and she could see and hear Sam as well.
I'd have to re-watch that segment but from what I remember, Beeks didn't directly react to anything Sam said, so I wasn't sure that she could actually see him. And also there's "Star Crossed," where according to Al, the committee members could not see or hear Sam.

EDIT: Oh wait I just remembered, at the end of the Shock Theater scene, Sam said "Goodbye doc" and Beeks could be seen mouthing goodbye to Sam. Still IMHO I think it's inconsistent with Star Crossed.

Quote:
The stuff that is projected from the Imaging Chamber is tuned into Sam's brainwaves, so no, Katie wouldn't be able to be seen by the courtroom (unless it was a child under five or someone mentally ill).
Sometimes I wonder if all those people who "hear and see voices" are just seeing and hearing leapers like Tibby
Sort of, yes.

Last edited by servo75; 02-25-2016 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Forgot to add an extra [\quote] tag
Old 02-27-2016, 12:07 PM   #35
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer

Quote:
I'd have to re-watch that segment but from what I remember, Beeks didn't directly react to anything Sam said, so I wasn't sure that she could actually see him. And also there's "Star Crossed," where according to Al, the committee members could not see or hear Sam.

EDIT: Oh wait I just remembered, at the end of the Shock Theater scene, Sam said "Goodbye doc" and Beeks could be seen mouthing goodbye to Sam. Still IMHO I think it's inconsistent with Star Crossed.
This is actually consistent with the fact that the project grows and evolves over time, just like the Imaging Chamber door changes when they get necessary upgrades, like in Raped that they make it possible for Katie to be heard, etc.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:14 AM   #36
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Quote:
If you recall the Beeks appearance in 'Shock Theater' that illustrates that anyone in the imaging chamber is able to receive the feed as long as they are in physical contact with Al.
It's Sam that's got the short end of the stick. He gets the visual of someone in physical contact with Al but not the audio, recall that he couldn't hear Beeks. That needed to be added for the purpose of bringing Katie in hence why she used up a lot of extra power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by servo75
Technically yes she was because she was transmitted through Al who is connected specifically to Sam's neurons and mesons.

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote