Fair 0 0%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #26
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stakker View Post
I really like episodes that touch on the real lives of Al and Sam, but this one fell flat.

So many things were stretching the bounds of believability.

Not one person seemed to show any shock or disgust at the fact that someone had apparently been raped and murdered, regardless of the fact that it turned out to allegedly be an accident.

Seeing young Al was cool, and the switch of Al to St.John was interesting, but the story was so cheesy and concluded so quickly you got the impression that the writers just lost interest.

No explanation for what happened to Bingo when he was sent back in time to keep watch over Chip on the night of the accident.

In conclusion, a poor episode, a bit rushed, but easily the most beautiful girl so far in the series, Lisa was stunning!

PS. Nobody mentioned that the Commander Riker (a star trek reference?) was played by Charlie Rocket, who was also the main subject in the Christmas Carol episode (A Little Miracle - Season 3, Ep10).

Along with Willie Garson from 'Play it again, Seymour' (Season 1) and 'Lee Harvey Oswald' (Season 5) he's the only repeat actor I've noticed in the entire series so far.
There are a few others - off hand I can think of Weird Ernie in Genesis is Al the Bartender in Mirror Image, and Zoey the evil hologram/leaper is also the ghost in "A Portrait for Troian".
Old 08-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #27
JuliaM
Project Observer

These are the actors I can think of quickly who appeared in more than one episode:

John D'Acquino: Frank Lomotta in "Jimmy" and he reprised the role in "Deliver Us from Evil"; Tonchi in "Mirror Image"

Brad Silverman: Jimmy in "Jimmy" and he reprised the role in "Deliver Us from Evil"

Richard Herd: Moe Stein in "Future Boy"; Ziggy Ziganovich in "Mirror Image"

Olivia Burnette: Susan Bruckner in "Another Mother"; Katie Beckett in "The Leap Home"

Susan Isaacs: Myra in "Heart Of A Champion"; Lucy in "The Last Gunfighter"

Eric Brukotter: Glen in "Raped"; Red in Liberation; Beau in "Memphis Melody"

Michael Bellisario: Little Boy in "Kamikazi Kid"; Billy in "Play Ball"; Martin, Jr. in "A Tale of Two Sweeties"; Kid #2 in "Mirror Image"

Mike Genovese - Don Geno Frascotti in "Double Identity"; Mr. Collins in "Mirror Image"

WK Stratton - Dr. Berger in "Genesis"; Sheriff Lyle Rountree in "Goodnight Dear Heart"; Larry Stanton in "One Little Heart", "The Last Door", and "For Your Love"

Don Bellisario is known for repeated castings of actors - not only within one series but across many of his series. Quite a few of the actors who appeared on Quatum Leap went on to appear in JAG and NCIS and had already had roles on other Bellisario series such as Magnum PI.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:27 AM   #28
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoniz View Post
These are the actors I can think of quickly who appeared in more than one episode:

John D'Acquino: Frank Lomotta in "Jimmy" and he reprised the role in "Deliver Us from Evil"; Tonchi in "Mirror Image"

Brad Silverman: Jimmy in "Jimmy" and he reprised the role in "Deliver Us from Evil"

Olivia Burnette: Susan Bruckner in "Another Mother"; Katie Beckett in "The Leap Home"

Michael Bellisario: Little Boy in "Kamikazi Kid"; Billy in "Play Ball"; Martin, Jr. in "A Tale of Two Sweeties"; Kid #2 in "Mirror Image"

Mike Genovese - Don Geno Frascotti in "Double Identity"; Mr. Collins in "Mirror Image"

WK Stratton - Dr. Berger in "Genesis"; Sheriff Lyle Rountree in "Goodnight Dear Heart"; Larry Stanton in "One Little Heart", "The Last Door", and "For Your Love"

Don Bellisario is known for repeated castings of actors - not only within one series but across many of his series. Quite a few of the actors who appeared on Quatum Leap went on to appear in JAG and NCIS and had already had roles on other Bellisario series such as Magnum PI.
Brad Silverman also appeared as a mirror image in Shock Theatre and played Pete in Mirror Image.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #29
JuliaM
Project Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie View Post
Brad Silverman also appeared as a mirror image in Shock Theatre and played Pete in Mirror Image.
Ooops...had the Mirror Image role there but I must have deleted it when I was editing.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:56 AM   #30
blue enigma
Accelerator Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stakker View Post
Not one person seemed to show any shock or disgust at the fact that someone had apparently been raped and murdered, regardless of the fact that it turned out to allegedly be an accident.
Yeah, this bothered me as well. There was a real underlying vibe of 'well, she was a tramp, she deserved it'. It's part of the reason I only rate this episode as Good not Excellent. Even Sam didn't seem to be as shocked and disgusted as I would expect, but I chalk that up to there being so much going on and the leap being so discombobulating for him, especially since things start going wrong pretty much from almost the start of the leap.

I also agree that the story was a little rushed.

The casting of young Al was flawless. He really looked like him, especially the eyes. In general the guest casting was really good. The lawyer who represented Al was great, Charles Rocket as Riker was effectively twisted and creepy and I love Terry Farrell. It was a hoot that they got Roddy McDowall, too.

They did a fantastic job transitioning from one hologram to another both times, from Al to St. John and then St. John back to Al. That was one of the best things in the episode.

It was interesting to see Al's past, and sad as he learns (and we learn) that the guy he thought was his best friend was willing to let him be executed for something he knew Al was innocent of instead of coming forward and telling the truth. We get an idea of just how lucky Al is to have Sam.

Last edited by blue enigma; 10-27-2012 at 02:58 AM. Reason: added commentary
blue enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #31
MichelleD
Control Room Technician

I do understand what you mean about nobody expressing shock or horror over a rape and murder and agree it was rather rushed, but it is probably hard to address everything within the time frame of an hour show. I think the whole point was to put things right and make sure the murder never happened, and that's how the epiosde ended. There were other episodes where they were pretty clear about how horrible rape and murder is.

I wanted to strangle Riker, he was a creep.

It's not my all time favorite episode either, but I liked the background on Al too, and the guy who portrayed him as a kid did have a pretty strong resemblance.

Dean and Scott both look great in military uniforms by the way.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:50 PM   #32
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer

Some fridge brilliance: It always struck me as odd that St John had trouble keeping track of who was who, for example, telling Sam he was "quite impossible" when Bingo was taken to the Control Room, when it was really Bingo. But it actually makes perfect sense. The neural link between Sam and Al was tweaked so that Al could see Sam after he got so distressed during "What Price Gloria". If St John wasn't distressed by it, they probably wouldn't have done the tweak and so he would have been seeing Sam in Bingo's aura, and Bingo in Sam's aura. So to him, it really would have looked like Sam being the one who was "quite impossible"...
Old 04-05-2016, 10:39 PM   #33
servo75
Imaging Chamber Technician

Quote:
Sam was only joking.

It's so funny seeing Dean Stockwell's voice come out of Bingo's mouth hahaha.
Yeah I kind of thought the voice sounded weird for someone that age, not sure it was necessary to dub in Stockwell's voice.

It bothered me that Chip wouldn't come forward, I mean I'm assuming he was not eventually charged since it was an accident (he never came foward even later on, evidenced by the fact that Bingo was found guilty), but all that cover up and then it turned out to be an "oopsie" after all? I never quite bought that, especially as you have to wonder how this would have effected Bingo and Chip's friendship afterward.

There's something else that bugged me from this episode, when Sam was talking to Cmdr. Dobbs after Reicher said that Marcie "deserved" to be raped, Dobbs replied, "The Navy won't trust him with a rowboat after this testimony, but they'll believe it for exactly that reason."
Sort of, yes.
Must not be much of a looker, huh?
I wouldn't let her hear you say that.
servo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:17 AM   #34
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by servo75 View Post
Yeah I kind of thought the voice sounded weird for someone that age, not sure it was necessary to dub in Stockwell's voice.

It bothered me that Chip wouldn't come forward, I mean I'm assuming he was not eventually charged since it was an accident (he never came foward even later on, evidenced by the fact that Bingo was found guilty), but all that cover up and then it turned out to be an "oopsie" after all? I never quite bought that, especially as you have to wonder how this would have effected Bingo and Chip's friendship afterward.

There's something else that bugged me from this episode, when Sam was talking to Cmdr. Dobbs after Reicher said that Marcie "deserved" to be raped, Dobbs replied, "The Navy won't trust him with a rowboat after this testimony, but they'll believe it for exactly that reason."
You do realise that when Bingo was put in the accelerator and leapt back into himself, Chip never took Marcie out and so none of this ever happened, don't you?
Old 04-07-2016, 12:11 AM   #35
servo75

Quote:
You do realise that when Bingo was put in the accelerator and leapt back into himself, Chip never took Marcie out and so none of this ever happened, don't you?
Good point. Although I meant why Chip didn't originally fess up.
Sort of, yes.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:57 PM   #36
servo75

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaM View Post

Quote:
There are a few others - off hand I can think of Weird Ernie in Genesis is Al the Bartender in Mirror Image, and Zoey the evil hologram/leaper is also the ghost in "A Portrait for Troian".
Teddy Wilson: Grady in "Pool Hall Blues" and Ernie in "Rebel Without a Clue"
Sort of, yes.