Go Back   Al's Place Quantum Leap Online Community >
Main Quantum Leap Discussions
> Episode Guide Ratings and Reviews > Quantum Leap: Season Five

View Poll Results: Goodbye, Norma Jean
Excellent 4 15.38%
Good 11 42.31%
Average 8 30.77%
Fair 0 0%
Poor 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2014, 03:59 AM   #26
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper
 
Sam Beckett Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,816
Default

So my best friend and I watched this episode tonight. It was my first watch in years since this is one of my least favorite episodes so it was essentially like I'd never watched it before other than two vague memories: Al getting Sam to rush out in his underwear to see Marilyn Monroe in her pool and Sam hurting her when he won't promise to always be there for her(which is one of my least favorite things about this episode).

After watching it tonight, we discussed how it's unclear what Sam's initial task was.
Clearly Barbara was not hired in the original timeline as it took Sam's convincing. This caused a significant ripple effect on Marilyn Monroe who was nearly sent to an earlier grave and then nearly lost her role in The Misfits.

So Sam ended up spending the episode cleaning up his mess but what had he been supposed to do before he'd even made a mess? Before he'd hired Barbara?

My thought is possibly another Peggy Sue, that he'd needed to ensure The Misfits was correctly titled. What significance does this have? Well this related to the 'Trivial Leap' discussion in the General forum. Perhaps it didn't get as popular under the original title or was never released. Who knows?

My best friend's theory is that perhaps he needed to get Barbara's career launched. She was essentially harmless; she didn't seem to intend any serious harm to Marilyn, she just wanted to keep her from the rehearsal. She just wanted the role. Trying to steal that role, The Misfits role could have been what accomplished that. Hudson was clearly impressed with her or was at least captured by her attractive body, so perhaps he could have passed on her name. This would eliminate her need to con her way into roles. Al never does say what became of her though.

I'm unsure what else it could have been, since obviously it wasn't to save Marilyn Monroe's life.
__________________

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:43 PM   #27
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer
 
Lightning McQueenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan View Post
So my best friend and I watched this episode tonight. It was my first watch in years since this is one of my least favorite episodes so it was essentially like I'd never watched it before other than two vague memories: Al getting Sam to rush out in his underwear to see Marilyn Monroe in her pool and Sam hurting her when he won't promise to always be there for her(which is one of my least favorite things about this episode).

After watching it tonight, we discussed how it's unclear what Sam's initial task was.
Clearly Barbara was not hired in the original timeline as it took Sam's convincing. This caused a significant ripple effect on Marilyn Monroe who was nearly sent to an earlier grave and then nearly lost her role in The Misfits.

So Sam ended up spending the episode cleaning up his mess but what had he been supposed to do before he'd even made a mess? Before he'd hired Barbara?

My thought is possibly another Peggy Sue, that he'd needed to ensure The Misfits was correctly titled. What significance does this have? Well this related to the 'Trivial Leap' discussion in the General forum. Perhaps it didn't get as popular under the original title or was never released. Who knows?

My best friend's theory is that perhaps he needed to get Barbara's career launched. She was essentially harmless; she didn't seem to intend any serious harm to Marilyn, she just wanted to keep her from the rehearsal. She just wanted the role. Trying to steal that role, The Misfits role could have been what accomplished that. Hudson was clearly impressed with her or was at least captured by her attractive body, so perhaps he could have passed on her name. This would eliminate her need to con her way into roles. Al never does say what became of her though.

I'm unsure what else it could have been, since obviously it wasn't to save Marilyn Monroe's life.
Actually it WAS to save Marilyn Munroe's life. In the original timeline (when Sam leapt in) Marilyn originally died of an overdose during the party. Sam saved her, thus changing to the history that we all know. He then had to make sure Marilyn did her last movie, the Misfits.
__________________
Lightning McQueenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:43 AM   #28
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper
 
Sam Beckett Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,816
Default

Alright but she went to that party in the first place because of Barbara and Sam hired Barbara. It was implied she wasn't originally hired. Thus wouldn't she not have attended the party originally? Or at least that's how my best friend and I read it.

Or if I am incorrect and she still would have attended the party without Barbara, two alternate scenarios were at play with her having died at the party:
1.) Sam is not present and Marilyn Monroe never hires Barbara --> The Misfits never exists because it ceases production when she dies.
2.) Sam hired Barbara --> Barbara cons her way into the lead female role which I assume GTFW considers a faulty scenario because the film was less successful this way and/or with the film Marilyn had made a more memorable exit.
And as a side note in either of these, the film was never retitled 'The Misfits' because that was Marilyn's suggestion (via Sam).

As you stated in your last post, the events of this episode really are difficult to follow.
__________________

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #29
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer
 
Lightning McQueenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan View Post
Alright but she went to that party in the first place because of Barbara and Sam hired Barbara. It was implied she wasn't originally hired. Thus wouldn't she not have attended the party originally? Or at least that's how my best friend and I read it.

Or if I am incorrect and she still would have attended the party without Barbara, two alternate scenarios were at play with her having died at the party:
1.) Sam is not present and Marilyn Monroe never hires Barbara --> The Misfits never exists because it ceases production when she dies.
2.) Sam hired Barbara --> Barbara cons her way into the lead female role which I assume GTFW considers a faulty scenario because the film was less successful this way and/or with the film Marilyn had made a more memorable exit.
And as a side note in either of these, the film was never retitled 'The Misfits' because that was Marilyn's suggestion (via Sam).

As you stated in your last post, the events of this episode really are difficult to follow.
I expect that Marilyn would have gone to the party even without Barbara. Whatever PA she chooses would have told her about it.

As for the rest - in the original history either the Misfits wouldn't exist because there was no Marilyn to star in it, or it existed under an entirely different name (remember it was Marilyn who insisted on the title "The Misfits") with a completely different actress. Barbara would not have been the lead actress, as she needed Marilyn's connections for the interview.

Barbara was just an extra hurdle that GTFW chucked into the mix, probably because it was her almost stealing the role that made Marilyn want to do it.
__________________
Lightning McQueenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #30
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper
 
Sam Beckett Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,816
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie View Post
I expect that Marilyn would have gone to the party even without Barbara. Whatever PA she chooses would have told her about it.

As for the rest - in the original history either the Misfits wouldn't exist because there was no Marilyn to star in it, or it existed under an entirely different name (remember it was Marilyn who insisted on the title "The Misfits") with a completely different actress. Barbara would not have been the lead actress, as she needed Marilyn's connections for the interview.

Barbara was just an extra hurdle that GTFW chucked into the mix, probably because it was her almost stealing the role that made Marilyn want to do it.
This is a possibility but remember Marilyn specifically said:
"I'm not hiring anyone today"
So how much longer would it have taken her to hire someone had Sam not stepped in and got Barbara hired that day?
__________________

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:29 PM   #31
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer
 
Lightning McQueenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan View Post
This is a possibility but remember Marilyn specifically said:
"I'm not hiring anyone today"
So how much longer would it have taken her to hire someone had Sam not stepped in and got Barbara hired that day?
Marilyn changed her mood more often than she changed her panties. Sometime that day she would have realised she needed a PA and hired someone.

On an entirely unrelated topic SBF, I clicked on the link in your siggie to try to see your screencap collection, but all there is is a picture of the Quantum Leap logo. Is there something else I have to do to see the screencaps?
__________________
Lightning McQueenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:39 PM   #32
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper
 
Sam Beckett Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,816
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie View Post
Marilyn changed her mood more often than she changed her panties. Sometime that day she would have realised she needed a PA and hired someone.
Alright I gotcha. I'm unfamiliar with her. I'm too young, she's long before my time, so if she changed her mood often than I can see your point as valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie View Post
On an entirely unrelated topic SBF, I clicked on the link in your siggie to try to see your screencap collection, but all there is is a picture of the Quantum Leap logo. Is there something else I have to do to see the screencaps?
Ok just scroll down a little more until you see DVD cover photos with 'season 1', season 2' etc labels. Click on one to get to the specific episode galleries.
Apologies there isn't much there right now. I've been incredibly busy and since moving my Acer with the torrents I screencap from is still at my previous address. I'll get back on it as soon as possible.
__________________

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2000 - 2016 Al's Place Quantum Leap Fan Site | 4.8.15.16.23.42