QL Costumes on Display

LunarCrystal

Project QL Intern
Mar 20, 2006
U.S.
FIDM is hosting a costume exhibit of acclaimed TV costume designers. One of the displays has been noted as Quantum Leap costumes, that both Scott and Dean wore in the show. It's going on in L.A., off 9th and Grand at the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising museum. It will be up until Sept. 9th.

I used to go to FIDM, and was able to go to many of the costume exhibitions for the Academy. It's great fun and it's free.

You went to FIDM? As in was an actual student?

*envies*

I was accepted there two years ago, out of high school, but I wasn't able to scrounge up enough to afford moving out there and attending...

I wish I could go there and see the QL costumes. I love, love, love Al's outfits.

:Love To All:
~ Joy ~

Yep. As an actual, real live student. For about a year. I didn't complete the course, but I could always go back if I wanted to. It'd be an Associates Degree in Art if I did... Wondering if it's worth it, though. I'm good at what I do without the degree and missing another 18,000. School's expensive. Self education, not so much.

Does the school not qualify as one for a Stafford loan or other student loan?

I'm one fully in support of people seeing their educational dreams come true, no matter how long it takes them!

More Info

I'll be in LA on the morning of 8/18 and could actually do this! Could you please provide more info like WHERE (more specific like for mapquest) and TIMES? Thanks!8)

McDuck said:
Does the school not qualify as one for a Stafford loan or other student loan?

I'm one fully in support of people seeing their educational dreams come true, no matter how long it takes them!
Yeah, student loans work, but this school is EXPENSIVE. And the apartment is expensive too.... One room shared by four people is $700 a month per person---aka $2800 a month. :hair

So, yeah, even with the Pell grant and scholarships and loans that I was eligible for, I still couldn't afford it.

But I'm okay with that now... I could simply pay $30 to take sewing lessons at Joannes and make costumes on my own.

I would so love to go see the costume displays, though. I know I'll definitely try to find the time to see the museum when going to LA in '09 for the convention!

Oooo... wouldn't it be cool if we could get a costume display for the convention.....?

DIRECTIONS:

Here're the directions available on the FIDM site
http://www.fidm.com/resources/museum+galleries/directions.html

And here's a link that Lisa provided on The Sassies:
http://www.dailybulletin.com/living/ci_4097300

~ Joy ~

asearcher said:
I'll be in LA on the morning of 8/18 and could actually do this! Could you please provide more info like WHERE (more specific like for mapquest) and TIMES? Thanks!8)

Could you take a few photos maybe? :bow It'd be nice to get the illusion of you know, actually being there instead of taking the ''most probably dangerous'' route of nabbing a plane - that by the way just sits there by itself at the airport doing nothing! Can you believe that? - and attempting a freebie trip to LA, ta muchly.:lol

I'll Do My Best

Assuming I can get the hubby to do this...I'll do my best to get pictures. That is also assuming that my horrid photography skills don't get in the way.

I was down in the garment district on Saturday and stopped into the museum. I'll go again when I can, and take pictures. They have the Hooker outfit up! (the actress was tiny!) and one of my favorite Al outfits on display. The purple and silver suede waistlength jacket, purple slacks with black pinstripes, and black and silver sparkling shoes. A fun green/purple/black printed shirt underneath with an interesting matching striped tie. Reference to Temptation Eyes episode. Sam's outfit was from a Single Drop of Rain, with a southern 50s style white day suit, red and gold brocade vest and black bowtie.

Also on display was the fabulous red evening gown worn by the actress from Sea Bride, during the tango scene.

As for putting the costumes on display for 2009? Well, you'd have to contact the costume designer for that. It's doable, and they might agree to it, so it's worth asking.

FIDM is stupidly expensive. Everything I learned was mostly from the textbooks. The instruction I received was snotty and vague. The knowledge acquired there should be offered in more places than just a fashion school, and should be a lot less expensive. Sewing lessons help. Though that's just part of it.

I'm sorry, but I think it's ridiculous to waste that amount of money for an art degree. I don't believe you need a degree for art. You need a degree to be a teacher. You need one to be an engineer. Not an artist. You wanna be an artist? You wanna make costumes? Go out and do it. Don't waste your money.

Yeah, that's what I finally told myself once it became clear that I wasn't going to be able to go. Plus, I wouldn't move back to California for all the money in the world... and I certainly can't see myself living there all by myself (in terms of not having any family or already-established friends around).

I do think it'd be awesome to have some costumes on display at the convention.... And maybe even manage to have the costume designer(s) do a Q&A panel or something. Now THAT would be awesome.

~ Joy ~

At the Exhibit

I went to see the exhibit. The QL part was small (as stated before...only 4 costumes but more than from some other shows) but quite fun. They had one of Sam's costumes (I think the one from "So Help Me God"...in any case it was the linen suit with the straw(?) hat...definitely southern.) As stated before 1 of Al's, the dress from the tango scene in Sea Bride, and the hooker costume (and yes...the actress WAS tiny!).

The rest of the exhibit was good too...they had costumes from many different venues including Wild Wild West, Deparate Houswives, Dynasty, Sonny and Cher, I Dream of Jeannie, and many others. I loved the Carol Burnett spoof costume from Gone With the Wind...it was great!

Parking was $5 but the exhibit was free. All in all, since I was in the area it was worth the time to check it out but going out to see it if that is the ONLY reason for going...I wouldn't have.