Possible QL movie by Deborah Pratt - she needs YOUR opinion!

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
Deborah Pratt, co-creator of the original Quantum Leap series is shopping her Quantum Leap movie script (not Trey Callaway's version) to Universal and says that NBCUni is showing some "amazing interest" in her project.

Deborah wants to know who YOU think would be the best actress to play Sammi Jo in the movie!! She’s got to be about 36 for the time line to work but could cast as young as 30 or as old as 40.

Reply here with your suggestions and I will pass along to Deborah!

Could it really happen this time????!!!

Eek... Too bad Kimberly Cullum's only 26; it'd be cool to see her play Sammy Jo as an adult.

Hmmm... how A-list or non A-list should we go? Is this for a once-off thing or for something that has the possibility of a long-term commitment?

How about Neve Campbell (http://imdb.com/name/nm0000117/ )?

There's an actress I saw recently in a Lifetime movie that could be good... Her name's Cara Pifko (http://imdb.com/name/nm0682999/ ).

That's all I can think of for the moment.

Joy

It can be anyone you want, as famous or unknown as you want!

My understanding thus far is that this is for a feature film, so not sure if this would turn into a series. I think I heard her mention she had Julia Roberts in mind when writing it at one time or another. :)

Don't know if it'll get made, not trying to get hopes up too high, but with Deborah behind it and Universal once again potentially interested, who knows what can happen! Get those suggestions in ASAP!

If Sammy-Jo gonna be a leaper so i'm thinking of Jennifer Garner at the top of my list.Unfortuntly i think Jennifer Garner would ,probably, be "too Expensive",so - I want to suggest Amy Acker(My Sammy-Jo in the Fanfic i'm writing).

I agree Amy Acker would be good.

I'd like to see Embeth Davidtz but she is just outside the age range at 42 (though she looks good) She was Miss Honey in Matilda.

Tia Carrere would also be quite good I think (40).

Of those of the 'right' age: Elizabeth Lackey or Rachel Weisz or Renee O'Connor or Annabeth Gish.

The recent Observer reported she was adapting the script (I'm assuming it's the same script) to become an online story. Have her plans changed since then? Because I'd prefer a film to a story any day!

And, most importantly, how can we show our support for it?

My mom's suggestion is Ashley Judd (http://imdb.com/name/nm0000171/ ).

Others could be Jean Louisa Kelly (http://imdb.com/name/nm0446465/ ), Zoe McLellan (http://imdb.com/name/nm0572721/ ), or Jolene Blalock (http://imdb.com/name/nm0086883/ ).

And to just go all-out, not thinking of accents and what-not, I'll suggest Claudia Black (http://imdb.com/name/nm0085227/ ) or Lena Headey (http://imdb.com/name/nm0372176/ ).

And I'll second (or I guess it'd be a "third") the nomination of Jennifer Garner.

Joy

LadyKayoss said:
The recent Observer reported she was adapting the script (I'm assuming it's the same script) to become an online story. Have her plans changed since then? Because I'd prefer a film to a story any day!

And, most importantly, how can we show our support for it?

You can show support by listing your suggestions and posting here! I'll be passing along comments to her.

You could go for irony and have Melora Hardin play her. She only just turned 40 in June.

Then we'd have had the same actress portray Young Abigail and Young Sammy and then the same actress play Adult Abigail and Adult Sammy.

Joy

Casting Sammy Jo...

Well, the age limit of around 36 kinda changes things; i wasn't aware they were sticking with the original timeline. Bearing this in mind, I could easily see several women in the role...

• Jodi-Lyn O'Keefe. She's 29, but could probably play older (similar to how the 24-year-old Kate Bosworth played a 30-something Lois Lane for "Superman Returns").
  • Tiffani Thiessen. 33 years old, former cast member on "Saved by the Bell", "Melrose Place", and "Fastlane", among others. If done right, I think she'd do rather well as Sammy Jo.
  • Annie Parisse. 32, formerly of "Law & Order", and had a minor role in the first "National Treasure" film.
  • Elisabeth Rohm. 34 years old, and has had two very notable roles: assistant D.A. Sareena on "Law & Order", and "Detective Kate Lockley" on the first season of "Angel" with David Boreanaz. Not sure how she'd look with dark hair, but it could be interesting.

tina_als_girl said:
You could go for irony and have Melora Hardin play her. She only just turned 40 in June.

Then we'd have had the same actress portray Young Abigail and Young Sammy and then the same actress play Adult Abigail and Adult Sammy.

Joy

It could be very Ironic,but it would also be much to wierd,i think.
well...at least for for me.
Not Considering,right now, the all hmm....dislikers of Abigail Fuller as were played by Melora Hardin in Trilogy 2&3.:)

What about casting Catherine Bell? She played alongside David James Elliot in JAG, is familiar with Bellasario, and if I say so myself is a gorgeous talented actress. I think she would be a great pick, not sure if the age matches up, but I'd go after her for the possible role.

I'm not sure how much involvment DPB will have in this film,if Deborah writes and produces it(If it really would happend,of course)..
Anyway,Catherine Bell is 39 -
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004738/

BTW -As much as i like Catherine Bell-I don't know why but... i just can't see her as a QL lead Character.

P.S.
Does anybody knows what was Trey Callaway's version?!

alsplacebartender said:
It can be anyone you want, as famous or unknown as you want!

My understanding thus far is that this is for a feature film, so not sure if this would turn into a series. I think I heard her mention she had Julia Roberts in mind when writing it at one time or another. :)

Don't know if it'll get made, not trying to get hopes up too high, but with Deborah behind it and Universal once again potentially interested, who knows what can happen! Get those suggestions in ASAP!

Julia Roberts so far is the only person named here I have heard of and I think she's a good choice. She has the look going pretty well.

I'll be honest and say that I can't stand Julia Roberts, and I personally can't see her pulling off that role.

I'd rather see a no-name or lesser-name actress who fits the role perfectly than have some A-lister whose mere presence would overshadow the story.

Joy

I have to say I agree with Joy about the no-name vs A-lister.

I'm sorry to say that I don't have any suggestions. :( Well, not at this moment, anyway.

tina_als_girl said:
I'll be honest and say that I can't stand Julia Roberts, and I personally can't see her pulling off that role.

I'd rather see a no-name or lesser-name actress who fits the role perfectly than have some A-lister whose mere presence would overshadow the story.

Joy

I have to agree. I have enjoyed some performances by Julia Roberts, but all in all I think she is over-rated, and not right for this part.

I don't think Julia Roberts Will fit to the part,too, and...If Deborah want an A-lister actress she better go with Jennifer Garner,who has a lot of experience with playing multiple Characters, she got during her TV series - "Alias". Maybe she's not as famous as Julia Roberts,but she's still quite famous around the world and probably "Cheaper" then Julia Roberts.

Yeah, I can totally see Jennifer Garner in the role. I think her age and look is absolutely perfect, if we're gonna go with an A-lister. And who knows, if this spawns a TV series, Jennifer would be more likely to go with it than Julia. That's one reason I was submitting names of actresses with TV work because they're going to be more likely to sign up for a series should the movie spin-off.

It just all depends on how much they want Sammy Jo to look like the actress who played her as a child.

Joy

alsplacebartender said:
You can show support by listing your suggestions and posting here! I'll be passing along comments to her.

Oh, great... This is the one way I'll have trouble supporting this! I have an image of the adult Sammie Jo in my head, and I haven't seen an actress that really matches her! But there are some fin suggestions here, and I'd go along with many of them. Not Julia Roberts, though; I wouldn't want a huge star that overshadows the non-A-listers, like Scott or Dean. I like the idea of Melora Hardin, and Jennifer Garner could pull it off as well. And there'd be a neat bit of symmetry with Garner: Scott used his talent to play different characters first in QL and then in a spy show, and Garner would go from a spy show to QL!

Al The Observer said:
She could do the swift Martial Arts moves that Sam/Scott could do. Sammy Jo following in her father's footsteps...

So is Jennifer Garner,and so is Amy Acker. They both starred in TV shows,that involved a lot of close combat/martial arts scenes - Garner in "Alias" and Amy Acker in "Angel".
Garner and Acker ,in my opinion, should be at the top of the list of Deborah Pratt's nominees for the part of Sammy-Jo.
So if it's really will happend,i think she should try and invite both of them to audition for this part.

BTW there were 2 suggestion here,that could work -Cara Pifko,who reminds a lot of 27yo Melora hardin and Elizabeth Lackey,who seems to me like a woman that could grow out of 12yo Kimberly Cullum.

P.S.
i can't see Amy-Jo Johnson as Sammy-Jo

Last edited:
tina_als_girl said:
Yeah, I can totally see Jennifer Garner in the role. I think her age and look is absolutely perfect, if we're gonna go with an A-lister. And who knows, if this spawns a TV series, Jennifer would be more likely to go with it than Julia. That's one reason I was submitting names of actresses with TV work because they're going to be more likely to sign up for a series should the movie spin-off.

It just all depends on how much they want Sammy Jo to look like the actress who played her as a child.

Joy

I don't think Jennifer Garner while I enjoy her looks the role.
As for the Julia Roberts thing I have not seen much of her roles and the ones I have are just ok. So I agree that a lesser name actress might be better.

Melora Hardin

Melora Hardin - it's a no brainer.

It would give the show continuity, she is still a very attractive woman at 40 and could easily play younger than that, and while she has received some celebrity from her role on The Office, she's still a plausable choice for an actress who would actually consider accepting the role, which would be doubtful with a lot of the A-list stars mentioned. We should try to think realistic here - this is a reboot of a sci-fi show thats been off the air for 15 years - not exactly a dream project for most young starlets right now.

Plus, Hardin has worked with Deborah and the QL team before, which could help open lines of communication more easily for her interest in the part.

If the fan community could get behind this choice, there may be a good chance of a reliable actress, who is currently in the eye of pop culture due to the sucess of The Office, AND who has a history with the show, getting this role.

I think this is a really exciting and realistic prospect. Thoughts? Reservations?

I'm sticking with Amy Acker(and Jennifer Garner). Amy can be perfect for the role. She not An A-lister but she's quite famous from "Angel" and "Alias" - 2 TV series that gave her some experiment with playing multiple characters("Alias") and some martial arts knowledge(both "Alias" and "Angel")
Anyway..."screen tests" were ment for testing actors/actresses to fit for roles in the movie/series/etc,so all Deborah need to do is invite who ever she wants and try to find her Sammy-Jo. It's can be Melora hardin,it's can be Amy Acker,it's can be Jennifer Garner and all the nominees all of us suggested in this thread and a lot more. It's up to Deborah Pratt, now.