Old 09-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #76
Sam's Crow
Assistant to Gooshie

Al pressed on the handlink and shook his head. "Got no'in'" he gave the result, holding a cigar in his mouth.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:00 PM   #77
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

Sam frowned. He felt that the Bulyamias were good people but made some bad choices. He didn't feel right about outright confronting them over if they had the money and could care for "his" children.

"Al, do you know what the adoption process was like when you were in the orphanage?" Sam asked. "What type of questions do they ask?"

Al shrugged as he pulled his cigar out of his mouth, "The usual, they want to know you, you fill out some forms, and they ask questions about your family and lifestyle. Adoption processes were simpler back then. ...That is unless you were like me and brought frogs to the Nuns every morning."

Sam's eyebrows went up, "You brought frogs to the Nuns?"

"All creatures great and small," Al replied. "Besides, I liked frogs. I was very interested in how they caught flies."

It was then Sam decided to change the subject, "One child is expensive enough but two... I don't want them to be seperated."

"Sam?"

"Yeah?"

"Your maternally bonding with the babies."

Sam gave his friend a look that would've peeled paint off the cars. "Maybe I could ask them how the Bulyamias could provide for the children. I'd want 'my' children to go to a good home where they'd be taken care of."

"They might lie," Al said sadly. "Sam, they want these babies so badly that they're willing to do almost anything to be able to adopt them. We'll do all that we can but, Sam..." Al's face fell, "You might have to be cruel to be kind."

Sam looked at his friend and knew he was right though he prayed there would be a way to let the Bulyamias adopt the children without Mr. Bulyamia going to prison.
--The Highway Man
Errowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:45 PM   #78
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Sam began to drive home, the weight of the two problems on his mind. Although he frequently dealt with multiple problems on his leaps, and some were much more complicated than this, each new problem was never easy to solve.

On one hand, Sam had to make sure that his children were not aborted, but had good, loving homes. He also had to make sure that Matina's children didn't die in an orphanage. Finally, he had to now try and help the Bulyamias. This was becoming complicated, and fast. Sam had no ideas at this point on how to solve both problems. What was he actually here to do: help his children, or the Bulyamias. Or... both?

Sam pulled into the driveway, thinking about what Al had said. Was he becoming bonded to the children? This had been a problem in past leaps. Sam would get too attached to the people close to the leapee, and that would complicate matters. Sam knew that he had to put things right, but he just didn't know how.

He got out of the car, locked the door, and began to walk up the path to the front door. First, he would have to see about how Anthony's job hunting was going, Sam resolved. He could figure things out from there.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #79
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

Sam briefly paused outside the front door, his hand outstretched towards the doorknob. His mind was heavy with thoughts as he stood there for several seconds.

A low click knocked Sam out of his trance. Anthony was standing on the other side looking surprised, "Matina, you're home earlier than I thought you'd be."

"I wasn't feeling well so the adoption process has been pushed back a few days," Sam said. "How is your job hunting coming?"

"It comes," Anthony replied. "I need to return another application." He pushed past his "wife" and walked down the path.

"Now what?" Sam mused to himself. He felt Anthony was trying but with the way things were it would be difficult.

Sam looked down at his stomach, "What am I going to do with you two?" he said to his belly. "And stop messing with my hormones and cravings!"

Not knowing what else to do he decided to go inside and make himself some food. After he got rid of that one craving he had he'd be able to think better.
--The Highway Man
Old 09-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #80
ohboy
Junior Leaper

While eating, Sam spent his energies focusing on how to solve the two problems at hand. The children were playing outside, so he did have a few moments of peace.

"Hungry, Sam?" Al asked, grinning as he looked at Sam's plate.

"I just needed something to eat to help me concentrate. That's all," Sam rebutted. "Hey Al, where does Mr. Bulyamia work?"

Al pressed his handlink, before looking back at Sam. "Mr. Fred Bulyamia works at human resources for-oh Sam, you're gonna get a kick out of this-an insurance company."

As Al chuckled, Sam mumbled silently to himself. "Human resources..."

Al looked at Sam. "I know that look, Sam. What are you planning?"
Old 09-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #81
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

"Since Mr. Bulyamia works in human resources there's bound to be a way to help the children or the Bulyamias," Sam rambled, his meal forgotten for the moment. "These people are there to help so I can't see why they would refuse to help two unborn children."

Al raised an eyebrow. "It might work."

"It can't hurt to try."

Al was forced to admit Sam was right.

"What's the phone number to the human resources building?"

Tapping away at a few buttons Al spoke, "555-7268."

"I'll call them up after lunch."
--The Highway Man
Old 09-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #82
Sam's Crow
Assistant to Gooshie

I actually expected there to be more of a debate on adoption and abortion throughout the story. Who knows? Maybe they'll be more later on.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #83
ohboy
Junior Leaper

There quite possibly could be. However, Round Robins tend to go in ways that are not expected. Anyways, I'll post another story contribution this afternooon is no else does first. Just remember, I'm sure that we're not at the climax yet, and although I have no idea what that'll be, since this story is sure to take many twists and turns throughout, the subject might come out.

I must say, though, I love seeing other people contribute, and surprising me along the way.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:10 PM   #84
ohboy
Junior Leaper

After finishing lunch, Sam cleaned everything up, and then walked over to the telephone. Sam knew the children were outside playing still, so he would have time not to be interrupted. Sam dialed the phone number.

"Hello. Fred Bulyamia, human resources for Shield Insurance speaking. How may I help you?"

"Mr. Bulyamia?" Sam asked, making sure it was him.

"Matina Golbeze? Hello. I hope this isn't bad news," Bulyamia answered, a hint of nervousness in his voice.

"No, this has nothing to do with the adoption," Sam answered, sure he could hear a sigh of relief on the other end.

"Oh, then what is it that you need?"

"Do you have a job opening?"
Old 09-21-2008, 11:37 AM   #85
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

There was a pause at the other end of the line.

"Mr. Bulyamia?" Sam repeated, thinking he had been cut off.

"I'm here," Mr. Bulyamia said. "Uh...I'll have to look, Mrs. Golbeze. Is this job for you?"

"Oh no, it's for my husband. He is busy looking for work and I thought that you might be able to help."

"I'll check to see what listings there are. Can I get back to you tomorow?"

"Tonight would be better if it's possible," Sam said.

"I'll take a look right away," Mr. Bulyamia said. "Good bye."

"Bye." Sam hung up the phone and looked down at his belly. He could've sworn he felt one of the babies move.
--The Highway Man
Old 09-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #86
ohboy
Junior Leaper

I'll post something tonight. However, Crow, you haven't done a post in a while. I hope you don't feel as though you are being crowded out. After all, I enjoy your contributions.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:26 PM   #87
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

**Raises hand** I enjoy your contributions too, Crow.
--The Highway Man
Old 09-22-2008, 11:49 AM   #88
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Sorry. I was a little too tired last night to insert a decent posting.

Next, Sam would have to tell Anthony. He wondered if he should tell him now, when there was prospect and he shouldn't be looking for other jobs, or later, when it was guaranteed. Sam decided that now would be best. Sam walked into Anthony's room, where he was still engaged in finding a job from the want ads.

"Anthony, I think I may have found you a job."

Anthony looked up, obviously interested, but skeptical at the same time. "What kind of job?"

"A job at an insurance company," Sam responded.

"How did you find a job at an insurance company, and how do you know that they'll hire me?"

"Because," Sam answered. "The one who might give you the job is the couple that is going to be the twin's adoptive parents."
Old 09-22-2008, 10:19 PM   #89
Sam's Crow
Assistant to Gooshie

Anthony placed his hand on Sam's tummy as tears began to fill his eyes.
"These two will have parents who have enough money to take care of them and we'll be able to..." Anthony sobbed.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #90
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

Sam placed a comforting hand on Anthony's shoulder. He felt his heart go out for this man.

I promise we'll make everything work out before I leap, Sam thought.
--The Highway Man
Old 09-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #91
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Sam left to go into the kitchen, leaving Anthony alone with his thoughts. All Sam hoped for was that there actually was a job out there for him. After all, if Mr. Bulyamia called back and said that there were no job openings, then this could turn ugly, fast.

Sam could see Al out of the corner of his eye, as he went appeared in the kitchen.

"Al, did I change history?" Sam asked.

Al looked at his handlink, and then back at Sam. "Uh, you did, but not as much as you would have liked too. You children still die, you still get divorced, and Fred Bulyamia still ends up going to prison."

I figure there always exists many problems before the end of the leap, and we still haven't gotten to the climax yet.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #92
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

"Does he get the job?" Sam asked, hoping the situation wouldn't turn ugly.

"It's not enough," Al reluctantly said.

"If I were to get a job would it help?" Sam asked.

Al shrugged, "It might. But Sam, you need to think about other options."

"What do I do?"

Al paused, "Listen to your heart Sam. Only you know what is best for the children."

Indeed. If there wasn't enough conflict it would make for a rather dull story. The nice thing is all of us can make this story as long as we want.
--The Highway Man
Old 09-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #93
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Sam paused for a moment, letting Al's reflective words sink in. One of the indicators that he was making progress in a leap was when Al began to act seriously. Surly, he was close to solving this.

"Alright, then," Sam asserted, talking to no one in particular. "I need to solve this problem, and hopefully before Anthony finds out that the job won't make ends meet. If I try to get a job at the moment, then he'll wonder why, and then things might get ugly, fast."

Al waited patiently. In many leaps, Sam and Al had to think quickly to solve the problem. In this leap, they had some time to think, without the pressure.

As Sam was trying to think, he looked out the window, to see the neighbor, Mrs. Rico, walking up to the door.

I have no idea at present how to end this. Of course, that means that the story is very good. Erroywn, since I don't think you around when this story was started, Mrs. Rico is the neighbor who babysits Matina's children. You probably read the story up to this point, but just in case...

Not to disclude you, Crow.

Last edited by ohboy; 09-25-2008 at 07:35 PM.
ohboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:39 PM   #94
Sam's Crow
Assistant to Gooshie

Sam opened the door before Mrs. Rico even had a chance to knock.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:38 PM   #95
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

Mrs. Rico looked surprised that the door had been opened before she had the chance to knock. Her hand was raised and almost found herself knocking on the air. In her free arm she carried a small canvas bag.

"Hello Mrs. Rico," Sam said good naturedly.

"Hello Matina, I was wondering how you were feeling?" Mrs. Rico said.

"I'm doing as well as can be expected. The babies haven't been too active today."

Mrs. Rico chuckled at that, "I suppose that's a good thing then."

Sam smiled politely at Mrs. Rico and motioned for her to come inside. "I just finished cleaning up. What can I do for you?"

"I came over to see if you were all right and if you'd like to have some tea?"

"Some tea sounds good," Sam agreed. He started to go get some cups when Mrs. Rico told him to sit down.

Mrs. Rico went about the kitchen gathering up everything she needed. Sam made mental notes on where everything was so he wouldn't forget.

Sam began to consider bouncing the idea of him getting a part time job off Mrs. Rico's head. Maybe she could help him find a way to get it past Anthony without him pitching a fit. He decided to announce his decision, "I've been thinking about getting a part time job to help make ends meet until the babies arrive."

Mrs. Rico placed her canvas bag on the table and looked at Sam. "How does Anthony feel about this?"

Sam shrugged, "I haven't told him yet."

"Matina, you know he won't like it."

"We need the money."

Mrs. Rico pulled out a chair and sat down. She took Sam's hand in her hands and looked him in the eyes. "Matina, honey, you better tread lightly about this issue. You know what pride Anthony has."

"I don't want to take away his pride," Sam said. "But he might have to swallow his pride. We don't have the money and we have to think of our children. I want my babies to have the best chance in life."

Mrs. Rico took a deep breath and let it out. "We'll discuss this over tea. Aren't you curious in what I have in my bag?"

"What?" Sam asked.

"Cookies. Guess what kind?"

"Oatmeal?" Sam asked, semi-hopeful.

"Chocolate chip."

"Ooooo!" Sam's eyes lit up. Perhaps he could find some room in his stomach for a chocolate chip cookie or two.

Thanks OhBoy. I've flipped through the pages so it's fresh in my mind for now...at least until my mind wanders off again. I think one of these days it'll wander off and not come back.
--The Highway Man
Old 09-25-2008, 07:51 PM   #96
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Since we are on the 96th post, I'm hoping that the 100th post is a document that contains the story up to this point, so anyone who is new can reference the story right from the fifth page. I guess I'll have some copying/pasting to do. Unless someone would like to surprise me the document.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #97
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Mrs Rico got out two plate, and put a couple cookies on each plate, although she left some in the bag, presumably for the rest of the family. Next, she sat down in the dining room, with Sam across from her.

Sam could see, looking in Mrs. Rico's eyes, what a kind person she was. The lady, as Sam could see, was nice, but at the same time she would probably be brutally honest. The perfect people to have helping me in leaps, Sam thought.

"What kind of job were you considering?"

"I don't know. Whatever I can find, I guess," Sam responded.

Mrs. Rico frowned as she sipped her tea. "With Anthony losing his job like that, he probably won't like you working instead of him."

It hit Sam that he forgot to tell her that he found him a job. It wasn't guaranteed that Mr. Bulyamia would find one for Anthony, but the prediction that Al made was good enough for Sam.

"I suppose I didn't mention this yet. The twin's adoptive father works in human resources at an insurance company, and said that he would find my husband a job there."

Mrs. Rico smiled at that. "That's great. I'd worry about how much he makes, and see if it will make ends meet, before trying to get a job yourself."
Old 10-03-2008, 01:38 AM   #98
ohboy
Junior Leaper

I must have made mine more challanging to follow than I thought...
Old 10-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #99
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

Sam nodded. "It also won't hurt to keep my eyes open in case a job does come along. I am hoping this new job will make ends meet but just in case..." Sam took a bite of the cookie and smiled, "These are good."

"You always say that," Mrs. Rico said.

"They're always good," Sam said with a grin.
--The Highway Man
Old 10-05-2008, 03:01 AM   #100
ohboy
Junior Leaper

On a side note, we've gotten over 1000 views on this thread. Someone besides the ones who post here (I'm including you, Aurora), most be reading this. Thank you!

Sam finished the cookie, and took a sip of the tea. Mrs. Rico was obviously a good cook, to make such moist, warm, gooey, chocolate chips.

As Sam placed down his cup, Matina's children all ran in, one of them crying.

"Mommy," the youngest one cried, "Alex stole my ball and won't give it back!"

"It's my ball! I had it first!" Alex yelled.

"No!" The middle child screamed. "I had it, and Samantha took it!"

As the bickering got worse, Sam didn't know what to do. He was never a parent, let alone a mother, and didn't quite have the edge on how to handle squabbling children.

Mrs. Rico stood up, and looked at all three of them. "Children, please, settle down." Mrs. Rico then looked Alex straight in the eye. "Alex, did you take the ball from Samantha?"

"No, Mrs. Rico."

Mrs. Rico then looked at Samantha. "Sam, did you take the ball from Jimmy?"

"No."

Finally, Mrs. Rico looked at Jimmy. "Jimmy, did you steal the ball from Sam or Alex?"

"No, ma'am."

"Then if neither of you stole the ball from each other, why are you mad. I'll tell you what, why don't you play a game together. If I hear anymore complaints about the ball not being shared, I'm going to see it your mother takes it away. Understand?"

"Yes, Mrs. Rico."

The children left, much happier than they came in. Sam was impressed.

"Wow. You really are good with the children!" Sam said in awe.