Old 01-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #26
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Sam looked at astonishment. "First, you're telling me that the farm turns out to be fine, and then you tell me that four of us end up dead?!?"

Al nodded, a grave expression on his face. "Yes, that is exactly what happened. Ziggy doesn't have anymore data on why you die, or why the farm is fine, just that there are no records that the bank or government seizes it."

Sam sighed, not knowing what to do. "First, I think that I need to check around and see if someone in this town doesn't like me. Al, do you know who takes over the farm after all this?"

Al looked at his handlink, and inserted a command, prompting what sounded like random barnyard animal sounds. Then Al looked back up. "Uh oh, Sam."

"What do you mean, uh oh?" Sam asked, a bit more impatiently than he meant to.

"I mean that Bill takes over the farm, and it seems to thrive after he does," Al answered.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #27
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

"Are you saying there's a chance Bill is the one who kills all of us?" Sam asked.

Al could only shrug, "Maybe. You better watch your back Sam. Just to be safe."

"I'll be doing more than just watching my own back," Sam muttered.
--The Highway Man
Errowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #28
jassian
Project Observer

Al could understand that keeping the Rogers alive would put Sam on edge, but his friend seemed especially wound up this Leap. He only guessed that it had to do with being on a farm, and Sam didn't look ready to talk it through. This was probably a bad time for a roger roger - joke.

"Well, town's not a bad place to start"
Al offered and had the sudden urge to retreat back into the control room.
"Unless you need anything else. Gooshie wanted to show me his latest improvement of the handlink data transfer. I'll check back on you later."
Which he'd been doing continuously throughout the project, with limited results, so it was a valid excuse.

Sam sensed that Al just wanted to escape.
"I'll be fine, don't worry about me." He said concerning both the mysterious deaths and his current state of mind, although he wasn't convinced of either. Something was nagging at him since the beginning of this Leap. And he had to let it out somehow. Turned out that that somehow was Al and Sam didn't feel as bad about it just yet as he thought he should.

Al gave him a quick nod and opened the imaging chamber door.
A cow mooed lazily as he stepped through sideways, keeping an eye on Sam just a bit longer.
"To you too, m'am" Al said to the cow and glanced over to Sam, who smiled a quiet thank you at the not unsuccessful cheer-up attempt.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #29
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Sam decided that the first thing to do would be to find a bar, or some gathering, where people would normally gather. If this really was his hometown, and Victoria had no reason to lie about that, then he should know people here. This was a small town, just like Sam remembered of his own town, where neighbors knew each other from birth.

"Gerry? Gerry Rogers, is that you?"

Sam turned around to see a young woman wearing an orange-flowered dress walking towards him. Sam, even after all these leaps, still had a bit of trouble thinking quickly enough on his feet to avoid the awkwardness of some of his conversations.

"Uh, yeah. It's me."

"You remember me, right, Gerry? Betty Greene?"
Old 01-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #30
Jaycol
Control Room Technician

Sam was trying to think of what to say. After all of his years leaping back and forth and having to react on a moments notice should have come naturally but like always it never did. "uh" he managed weakly. " Oh come on don't tell me you forgot about me and our relationship all ready. You haven't been gone that long." Betty chastised."No, uh Betty, How can I forget that and you" not for the first time did Sam wish Al would have hung around for a little bit longer. 'Why is it he is always leaving at the times I need him the most. No that was not right Al has been there for him more times and in more ways than he could even imagine counting, then why am I feeling so angry toward him it has been like that since the beginning of this leap.' Oh well he thought 'that is something I will have to think on in the future in the meantime he had more pressing matters to attend to like trying to save himself and Gerry's family..."Ziggy. Pull up everything you can on this Bill character and let me know what you find out." Al said as he stepped through the imaging chamber door. His mind was preoccupied by the way Sam has been acting toward him he couldn't understand for the life of him why Sam seems so on edge this leap. 'Poor guy' Al thought. ' I can only imagine how he must feel lost in time not knowing where he will end up everytime he leaps it has to be getting to him'"Right away Admiral" Ziggy's smooth voice came from seemingly out of nowhere. "It is going to take some time Admiral perhaps you should get something to eat while you wait.""Now that is a fine Idea Ziggy" Al said as he headed down to the cafeteria, passing by a seemingly always busy Gooshie. "I wonder what is on the menu today"
Old 01-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #31
Jaycol
Control Room Technician

Sorry about the wait in updates to the story and as always I apologize for the format. This story is getting interesting. It is cool to see everyones submission. As always though the more the merrier.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #32
ohboy
Junior Leaper

No problem at all, Jaycol. Always happy to read your contributions. And you are certainly correct, that the more people submitting, the merrier of a time we shall all have.

"Al?" Betty asked, looking at Sam. "Who's Al?"

Sam looked back, realizing that he just asked Al something in front of Betty. For some reason, he was feeling a bit off during this leap, as though something was slowing his reflexes. "Uh... I meant to say 'Al is everything?' but I said Al instead of how."

Betty just giggled. "Oh Gerry. It's so cute when you get nervous. I guess you've been away for so, you're a bit uncomfortable back in this little rural pocket of the country."

"Not at all. After all, I grew up on a farm," Sam replied. Betty then giggled again.

"Of course you did, silly. You grew up here, remember?"

Sam mentally slapped his forehead. Why was he acting like this? Was there something wrong with his host? He usually knows better than to say something like that.

"Oh, yeah..." Sam replied weakly.

Betty, however, only frowned. "Gerry, are you feeling alright?"
Old 01-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #33
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

"Yes and no," Sam said. "It's been a long day and I've been feeling a touch under the weather."

It was times like this Sam wished he could freeze time for long enough for him to regain his bearings and thoughts.
--The Highway Man
Old 01-31-2009, 12:47 PM   #34
ohboy
Junior Leaper

"Oh, are you sick?" Betty asked in a comforting voice. "I hope they're not working you too hard in the big city?"

Sam shook his head. "No, it's about as much work as a farm, give or take." Sam didn't really know that for sure, but decided that was the best answer to give at the moment.

"So, then, what's it like being a lawyer?" Betty asked.

"Well," Sam began, trying to of how he could describe what being a lawyer is like without sounding phony, "it's pretty high pressure. You have to review lots of cases, and think of viable arguments for plaintiffs and defendants. It can be stressful, but in the end, it really feels good to know that you helped someone, affecting their life in a positive way, and making a huge difference to them."

Old 02-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #35
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Considering the fact that it has been 2 1/2 weeks since the last story contribution, I am kindly bringing this story to the forefront of the "new posts" list, in hope of generating interest in continuing the story. After all, things are really starting to get interesting.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #36
jassian
Project Observer

Sam could feel and hear someone move up to him from behind. The sensation was looming and when a tall man in a farmer's shirt, his muscles, tan and bodylanguage suggesting that he was used to extremely hard work the man's expression confirmed the initial discomfort with the man's presence.

"For the better, ey?"
He ended up standing next to Betty and they both looked very familiar with each other. And the man seemed familiar with Sam... Gerry.

"It's still your company that snatches people's land away. I never thought you'd dare to show your face here."

Betty gave the man a scolding look. Along the lines of 'we weren't going to to do this, he's still my friend'

couldn't resist a little complication
Old 02-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #37
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Sam took a bit of offensive to the man. Not just because of what he said, but more along the tone that he said it.

"What do you mean the lands that I took away?" Sam asked.

Betty turned to the muscular man. "Hank, please don't do this now. Gerry just came home for a while, and I don't think that he has anything to do with what happened."

Hank looked at Betty with a look of anger on his face. "You can't be serious. Maybe he didn't do nothin', but when your family's a bunch of greedy pigs, then they gonna breed greedy pigs as well."

Sam glared at Hank. "Don't call my parents pigs."

At this, Hank flashed a menacing smile. "Whatcha ya' gonna do about it? Sue me?"
Old 02-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #38
Jaycol
Control Room Technician

The next thing Sam knew was Hank was laying on his back from a punch to the face he delivered. Sam couldn't believe it. Usually he would be a lot more restrained and wouldn't dare be so quick to hit someone. Caught off gaurd by his violent reaction, Sam was speechless the only thing he could think to say was "I...Im sorry." What the hell was happening to him? he never acted like that. Sam still in shock turned to dissappear in the crowd with Betty yelling after him calling him a jerk.

Last edited by leaper1; 02-22-2009 at 06:41 AM. Reason: embolden for story continuity
Jaycol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:18 PM   #39
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Sam continued walking, not knowing where he was going. He didn't know what had come over him, and he was very ashamed of himself for it. It was not that he had hit Hank; he had people before in his leaps. The difference is that the other times were usually to protect someone else, or for a good cause. What he did back there reflected nothing more than a bad temper.

Sam looked around, and realized that, lost in his thoughts, he didn't know where he was. He was on a large, dirt road, and there was no one in sight. Sam wished that Al would appear, if not to talk to him about his problem, to at least tell him how to get home.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #40
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

Sam glanced from side to side in an effort to look like he was checking out the land.

"Hi, Sam," Al's calm voice said.

"Al! Am I glad to see you!" Sam couldn't help but smile when he saw Al hadn't changed outfits...yet. "How do I get home?"
--The Highway Man
Old 02-23-2009, 06:04 AM   #41
jassian
Project Observer

"Uhm, Sam, do you mean home or home... home?" Al asked.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #42
ohboy
Junior Leaper

"Home. Gerry's home!" Sam said, a bit more annoyed than he meant to.

"Oh, yeah," Al said, as he entered something into his handlink. After a variety of barnyard animal sounds emitted from the handlink, Al looked back up at Sam. "Follow me, Sam."

Sam started walking alongside the hologram, as they walked back towards town. Sam was grateful, though, that he had a rather isolated place where he could talk to Al for a few minutes about the problem that he was having.

"Al, I think that there's something wrong with me on this leap."

"Oh?" Al asked, waiting for Sam to continue.

"Well, I don't know how to put this, but I think that I may have acquired some of Gerry's personality traits."
Old 02-25-2009, 01:14 AM   #43
Jaycol
Control Room Technician

"Yeah, about that Sam." Al began rather hesitantly. Sam hated hearing that tone of voice from Al. He knew it never led to anything good.

"What now Al?" Sam said trying to hold back the impatient complaint that wanted to escape his mouth.

"Well, I was coming back from the cafeteria when Tina kind of jumped me from behind so I ended up going back to our room and just as things started to heat up..."

"Damn it Al I don't want to hear about that, can't you for once keep your mind out of the gutter." Sam snapped.

"Er well, yeah, anyway, Ziggy annouced that she detected something wrong with your brainwaves." Al started to explain.

"What how can something be wrong with my brainwaves?" Sam asked his alarm raising.

"Well, you know how your mind is swiss cheesed and you can't remember things that you should? Well, Ziggy believes the same thing is starting to happen to your emotions as well."

Sam was bewildered at Al's explanation. How much more of this can his mind take. First his memories and now his emotions. All he could think to say is "what, how, why"

"Now Sam don't get all paranoid and stuff. The truth is we never really knew how what long term leaping about through time would effect the leapee. It was supposed to pull you back after your initial leap but (as we all know) god, fate, time, whatever interferred and left you bouncing back and forth."

Sam didn't want to hear anymore. If quantum leaping through time effected his memories and now his emotions. How much more can his mind or body for that matter take. Sam felt despair and fear rising within him. He wasn't sure if it was himself or his now swiss cheesed emotions affecting him. On the verge of tears he looked at his holographic friend, his best friend and simply stated, "Al, I just want to go home"

All right I hope this wasn't too long or unrealistic it took me awhile to find out what Sam was suffering from (secretly I was hoping someone else would have come up with something) but I figured if quantum leaping through time affected Sam's memories, why the other functions of his mind. Keep the story going and keep this thread going. I am going to try as much as I can.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:24 AM   #44
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycol View Post
All right I hope this wasn't too long or unrealistic it took me awhile to find out what Sam was suffering from (secretly I was hoping someone else would have come up with something) but I figured if quantum leaping through time affected Sam's memories, why the other functions of his mind. Keep the story going and keep this thread going. I am going to try as much as I can.
Personally, I thought that it was a powerful story contribution, and a wonderful addition. Also, length is not an issue, and I appreciate story contributions of any size. I'm just glad that you and everyone else takes the time to contribute to this story. If anything, this has to be one of my favorite threads, because the Round Robin is truly a melding pot of ideas and creativity, where different writing styles meet and connect, and everyone who posts even one sentence to add to the story is greatly appreciated. I'll get off my soapbox now, but I just thought that needed being said.

Sam already knew the answer to this question, but he had to ask anyways, just make sure. "Al, I have a question about Gerry."

"Go ahead and ask, Sam," Al replied.

"Have you met Gerry in the waiting room?" Sam asked.

"Oh yeah. Most people are scared when they first enter the waiting room, but he was just downright mad. Yelling and screaming at us. I left Dr. Beeks to calm him down, but I don't know how much success she had."

Sam sighed. So that was where he was getting his temper from. Gerry was an angry person, and that was being passed on to him. Al's voice broke through Sam's thoughts. "So, what did you want to ask?"

"You just answered it. Gerry's a hothead, and now, if I don't hurry and leap out of here, I'm going to be one too."

By the way, just to clarify, could somebody tell me I spelled Dr. Beeks' name correctly. Thank you.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:25 AM   #45
jassian
Project Observer

What's also really awesome is how seemlesly it all fits together. when I read the word file of the other story I had a really hard time separating different posts. I really could only do it by remembering. Otherwise I wouldn't have known. Just a real tribute to the teamwork.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:03 PM   #46
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassian View Post
What's also really awesome is how seemlesly it all fits together. when I read the word file of the other story I had a really hard time separating different posts. I really could only do it by remembering. Otherwise I wouldn't have known. Just a real tribute to the teamwork.
Thank you for telling me that you read that Word file. Now I know to make a word file for this story as well.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #47
jassian
Project Observer

Please do
Old 03-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #48
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

Al reluctantly nodded at that. Secretly he prayed that Sam would leap out before he completely lost his temper and would blow up at someone.

"Relax Sam, I'm going to do all that I can to keep you from losing your temper," Al reassured.
--The Highway Man
Old 03-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #49
ohboy
Junior Leaper

"How are you going..." Sam stopped, and lowered his voice, drawing back some of the anger "How are you going to do that? I can't even control my own emotions at the moment?"

"I don't know, Sam. I'll just make sure you don't, okay." Al responded.

Sam sighed. He didn't even know what he was going to do when he got back, or what he was supposed to do on this leap. He couldn't wait to go home.

"You jerk!" A voice suddenly yelled. Both Al and Sam turned around to see Betty stomping towards Sam, taking him aback.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #50
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Just bringing it up to the front that it's been a week since a last posting, if anyone has any good ideas.