Old 04-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #76
Jaycol
Control Room Technician

"Come on now Jerry, Don't dawdle you have all ready kept your grandpa waiting long enough" Veronica said.
"I'll be right in Ma" Sam said. " I just have to use the bathroom real quick."
"Well be quick with it then." Veronica stated in her most motherly manner.
Sam looked at Al and motioned for him to follow him with his head.
"Oh come on Sam, you know I hate going to the head all the time." Sam shot a glance at Al with a fire in his eyes and Al decided he should just go along with it. Up in the Bathroom Sam said "Al go talk to Jerry in the waiting room and find out what he was doing with a hefty bit of money in his wallet along with the deed to the farm, Also have Ziggy run a check on anyone who wants to buy the farm or sell it for that matter."
"All right Sam. Are you going to be all right, you know with the anger issues and all." Al asked obviously concerned.
"Yeah I think I will be all right. I mean it is just dinner with the family. What could go wrong?" Sam said with a genuine smile. His first one since this leap began. He had snapped at Al so many times during this leap and he was still concerned about his friend's well being. 'Someday I am going to make it up to him. All these years and leaps and he is still by my side. Someday Al, I promise.' Sam thought to himself as he headed down to the dining room with the sound of the imaging chamber door whooshing shut behind him.

Last edited by leaper1; 04-03-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Jaycol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #77
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

Sam entered the room with his smile still on his face. He pulled up a chair and asked, "What are we having?"

"Your grandfather's favorite," Veronica said.

"Oooh, sounds good."
--The Highway Man
Errowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:09 AM   #78
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Verconia led Sam and Betty to the table, where Buck was already sitting down. Sam and Betty took their places at the table, while Veronica went to the kitchen to get the dish. Whatever it was, Sam knew that it smelled quite good.

"So, how have you been?" Buck asked Betty. "Haven't seen you around town much, since Gerry left."

"I've been doing quite well, Mr. Rogers," Betty said.

At this, Al popped in. "Buck Rogers, Mr. Rogers. This guy is full of cultural references," Al chuckled.

"I don't think Mr. Rogers has come yet," Sam whispered, before realized that he said that to thin air. Chalking that mistake up to Gerry's personality merging, he looked back to the others. "I mean, I don't think Mr. Rogers, my grandfather, has came to town often."

Betty looked at Gerry with a funny look in her eys, but Buck just laughed. "You're so used to all that formal lawyer stuff that you're calling your own grandpa Mr. Rogers?"
Old 04-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #79
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

Sam felt the color creep into his cheeks, "I'm sorry, I'm so used to being so formal I have to remember I don't need to be that way here."

"So you refer to your own grandfather as 'Mister Rodgers' when you're a fancy lawyer?" Betty asked.

"Well, yeah..." Sam paused long enough to put on a sympathetic face, "It's a lawyer thing."

Inwardly he heard the words "You wouldn't understand" but managed to keep them to himself.
--The Highway Man
Old 04-05-2009, 02:24 AM   #80
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Sam wanted to find a way that he could talk to Al. Perhaps if he knew why he had that deed, and the money, he could guide the dinner conversation to better suit his leap. Of course, he had already gone to the bathroom twice, and was beginning to get tired of them. Just as he was about to make up some excuse to leave the table, Veronica came in with a huge turkey.

"Dinner's ready," Veronica said. As she set the table, the door opened, and a strong looking man walked in. He looked as though he had been working on the farm all day.

"Justin, why don't you get cleaned up for dinner," Veronica said. "We can all wait a minute for you to come down."

"Yes, mama." Justin said, and headed towards the bathroom. This was what Sam needed. It would take Justin a minute to clean up, and Sam could step outside with Al for a moment, come back in, and then eat that delicoius looking turkey. Things were beginning to look up.

"Uh, will you excuse me for a minute. I need to get some fresh air."

"Are you absolutely sure that you're alright?" Betty asked. "You've been acting funny all day."

Sam looked at Betty, and smiled. "I think I'm just not used to being on vacation. In the city, it's just work, work, and more work. I guess I'm having trouble relaxing, and need a minute outside to absorb it."

The answer satisfied the members of the table. "Alright, dear," Veronica said. "I don't understand big city life, but go ahead. I'll shout for you when Justin's ready."

"Thanks, Mrs. Rogers," Sam said, winking at Buck. He laughed, as Veronica looked quite confused.

If you need to remember who Justin is, refer back to the last post on the first page by Jaycol. I just thought I would mention that because he hasn't been used in a long time.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #81
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

Sam stepped out of the house to the outdoors as quickly as his legs would allow.

"Oooh, that turkey looks delicious," Al commented. "Of all the times I have to be a hologram."

"Al," Sam said. "Al, what's going on?"
--The Highway Man
Old 04-13-2009, 12:11 PM   #82
ohboy
Junior Leaper

"Uh, Sam. I talked to Jerry, and the reason that you have the deed is not a good one."

Sam braced himself for what Al was about to say. In the back of his mind, he knew why he had the deed, but it was still a shock when Al verbally confirmed his suspicion.

"Why do I have the deed?" Sam asked.

"Apparantly you and Bill have some type of deal in getting the farm for yourselves. The problem is, Jerry wouldn't tell us why. There must be something vaulable that those two know about this farm that nobody else knows, if they end up being so successful with it."

"If they're working together, then why am I... Jerry, found dead."

"We don't know that yet, and obviously, Jerry wouldn't know that either. I guess you two must have had a falling out, or something like that. I think the best thing for you to do is find Bill."

"Alright Jerry, everything's ready!" Sam heard Veronica yell.

"Well, after dinner, I mean," Al amended.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #83
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

"I'll be right there!" Sam called out over his shoulder.

Sam turned back to his friend, "Al, let me know as soon as you find this Bill whoever."

"I'm on it, Sam!" Al promised with a little salute.

Putting a forced smile on his face Sam headed back to the house for dinner. He quietly shut the door behind him and grinned more, "That smells so good!"
--The Highway Man
Old 04-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #84
Jaycol
Control Room Technician

Despite his forced smile, Sam was still troubled by the possibility that Jerry would betray his family. He just couldn't understand it. Jerry's family were nice people, Sam was enjoying being with them. Buck reminded him of his father while it was obvious that Jerry and his brother had a really good relationship. No, despite his temper Sam was sure Jerry wouldn't betray his family. There had to be a reason Jerry had the deed to the farm. Sam knew it wasn't because of the deal that Al had mentioned, but what was it? He had to find out about this bill guy in order to leap out of here.

"So, Mom. How is Bill doing?" Sam asked.

Last edited by leaper1; 04-15-2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Embolden for consistency
Jaycol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #85
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Veronica sighed upon hearing his name. "I don't know what gotten into that boy lately. He seems so... so... what's the word you used, Buck?"

"Withdrawn?" Buck offered.

"Yes, that's it. He seems pretty withdrawn lately."

Sam frowned, It would figure that Bill would become withdrawn during a leap. "Well, I guess I should say hello to him," Sam said, before chewing on a piece of the turkey. It was juicy and delicious. It almost made the leap worthwhile, eating this wonderful, homecooked dinner.

"Well, Bill always was a loner," Betty said. "At least from what Jerry told me."

"Yeah, I don't know what to do wtih the boy. He works real hard, and I don't know if we would have this farm if he didn't put so much work into it. But everytime I talk to him, I get this bad feeling. I don't know, I can't explain it."

Sam really wished that they would now stop talking about Bill so that he could enjoy this meal. He almost said something snappy to that effect, but caught himself as the words crawled up this throat. He took another bite of the turkey.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #86
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

Sam remained tense as he ate some more dinner. He didn't like the direction the conversation was going in.

"I had forgotten how much I enjoy your cooking," Betty suddenly cut in.
--The Highway Man
Old 04-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #87
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Veronica appeared to have forgotten the grave mood that the conversation was turning, as she smiled to Betty. "Why thank you, dear. This's an old family recipe, you know?"

Sam smiled inwardly. Perhaps he could enjoy his dinner. Of course, he never actually found out where Bill was, but he knew that he could ask them later. Or maybe Al knew where he was. Regardless, he talked to "his" family for the rest of the meal, and had a very enjoyable time. It almost reminded him of being back at home, when he had dinners with his real family. Sam hoped that before he leapt, he could have one more nice dinner like this, since it was so rare that he did.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:01 PM   #88
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

"This dinner is just as good as I last remembered," Sam remarked. "I've missed it."

Veronica looked amused at Sam's remark which confused him.

"What is it?" Sam asked.

To Sam's surprise Veronica chuckled, "Before you left to become a lawyer you used to remark that you couldn't get away from here to have some city food."

"I was wrong. The food there isn't as nearly as good as this. Besides, I've done a great amount of growing up since those days."
--The Highway Man
Old 04-22-2009, 02:31 AM   #89
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Veronica looked at Sam for a moment, and then smiled again. "Well, I guess you don't know what you miss until it's gone, right?"

Sam nodded, not answering due to a large piece of chicken in his mouth.

"Slow down, Gerry," Betty laughed. "When was the last time you ate?''

Honestly, Sam couldn't remember eating on this leap, and had only a vague recollection of his last leap, which was into a pregnant woman named... He couldn't seem to remember. "8 years," Sam said truthfully, which made everyone at the table laugh.

Finally, after much more pleasant conversation, the dinner was over, and Sam stood up to leave the table as the dishes were being cleared.

Figured I should mention again that anyone who would like to contribute to the story is certainly welcome to. For those who read the last story, it always make the story a lot more fun and entertaining when a lot of people contribute.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #90
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

"Do you need any help?" Sam offered.

"No, I'm fine dear," Veronica replied. "Go off and enjoy your evening."

Sorry about it being so short, I couldn't really think of much to add.
--The Highway Man
Old 04-27-2009, 01:27 AM   #91
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Sorry about the lull. I'm trying to think of something to add, but I can't seem to at the moment. Perhaps someone else can?
Old 04-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #92
Jaycol
Control Room Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohboy View Post
Sorry about the lull. I'm trying to think of something to add, but I can't seem to at the moment. Perhaps someone else can?
Don't worry about it. I have the same issues at times. That is why it takes me a while to post an entry also. I have an idea though so I am going to add some now.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #93
Jaycol
Control Room Technician

All right going to have to wait on that. I did type something up and it was pretty good sized. The problem is somehow I ended upo backing up out of the message page and lost it all. I am really disheartened now. Someone else can add something if they want or just wait until I feel up to typing all of that again. Sorry folks.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #94
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycol View Post
All right going to have to wait on that. I did type something up and it was pretty good sized. The problem is somehow I ended upo backing up out of the message page and lost it all. I am really disheartened now. Someone else can add something if they want or just wait until I feel up to typing all of that again. Sorry folks.
I understand that. That same problem has happened to me on different occasions, so I know how frustrating it is, especially when a lot was written, and then it was all deleted by an error message.

I'll mull over the content of the story, but I think that we've now hit a lull in the plot.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #95
leaper1
PQL Security Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohboy View Post
I understand that. That same problem has happened to me on different occasions, so I know how frustrating it is, especially when a lot was written, and then it was all deleted by an error message.

I'll mull over the content of the story, but I think that we've now hit a lull in the plot.
I've had similar things happen in the past - even with a fairly long email reply which then times out.
I tend now to write a word or notepad document with the content, then just cut and past into the email or webpage when I'm done. Saves a lot of frustration!

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.(Leo Buscaglia) Helen in Bedford
leaper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:38 PM   #96
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Alright, here is something that should stimulate the story again; I left it rather open-ended.

Sam nodded, and noticed Betty at the table. "Would you like to go outside and get some fresh air?" Sam asked Betty.

"Sure, Gerry," Betty smiled, as the two of them headed towards the door.

"You kids behave yourselves now," Buck chuckled. "Don't be too friendly welcoming him back, you hear?" he said, winking at Betty.

"I promise I won't, Mr. Rogers," Betty said good naturedly.

The two of them walked outside, where the sun was setting, and a beautiful sunset could be seen taking place. Sam and Betty both found two chairs on the patio, and sat down across from each other, their view at the magnificant red sky.

"So, how does it feel to be back?" Betty asked.

Sam took a moment to think of what Gerry would say. "Well, it's been pretty exciting, what with Hank and all. But, I am glad to get to see everyone again, and eat a good, home-cooked meal."

"Well, I really am glad you're back, Gerry. And I should apologize about Hank. You see, he just gets jealous of you. He's a bit insecure..."

"And controlling," said Sam, before he could stop himself.

"What do you mean by that?" Betty asked.
"He thinks he owns you, Betty. Just be careful, alright."

At that moment, Sam had the idea for something else that he was there to do, after he asked Al. He wanted to know what Betty's history was, and if he had to help her as well as the farm.

As Betty was about to say something, and from the look on her face it was going to be an argument, a man began to walk up towards the walkway. The sun was behind the man, so Sam couldn't make out who it was. However, he had a strange feeling inside of him that told him to be on guard.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #97
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

Sam squinted in a better effort to get a look at the face of the person. Unfortunately the attempt failed and left him with a minor headache.

"Can I help you?" Sam asked in hopes of learning who the person was by their voice.

"Maybe," the man replied.

Much to Sam's relief and discomfort it was a voice he didn't recognize.

Oh boy, Sam thought.
--The Highway Man
Old 04-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #98
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Sam knew two things, even though he could see the man. The first, much to his relief, was that the voice did not belong to Hank, or the two men that Hank was with. The second was that the man seemed not angry, but at the least very serious. He had a feeling that this wasn't a social call. Sam turned to Betty, to see if she knew who he was. The look on her face told him that she didn't. Finally, though, he saw a hint of recognition on Betty's face.

"Who is it, Betty?" Sam asked. "I, uh, can't see because the sun is in my eyes?"

"I can't either, and I almost forgot who the voice belonged to. But that is you, isn't it. Bill?"

Sam put his hand over his eyes, and could see a rather gruff man with a beard, glaring at the two. So this was Bill. Sam figured he could try to gather some information, but before he could, Bill spoke again.

"Can we speak in private, Gerry. I have... something that needs discussing."
Old 05-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #99
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

"Ummm...yeah, sure!" Sam reluctantly said. "Would you excuse me, Betty?"

"I'll be inside," Betty quickly replied.

Sam watched as she trotted up the steps and shut the door behind her. It was then he turned back to Bill.

"You've still got that deed, Gerry?" Bill asked.

"Of course I do," Sam said. "What about it?"
--The Highway Man
Old 05-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #100
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Bill looked around the area, making sure that Betty had really gone inside, before he turned to speak to Sam.

"Is it on you, or did you leave it in your room?"

Sam didn't know rather to lie or not. However, he was a terrible liar, and he really didn't know what the few seconds would do for him. So he nodded. "Yeah, it's on me."

Bill smiled. "Good. Hold on to it, along with the money."

At this, Al's voice pierced into the conversation. "Sam, we figured out why he got so rich. Apparantly, the farm sits right above a small oil field, which would explain why he did so well off."

Sam widened his eyes, trying to now carry on two conversations at once. "What?" Sam asked, surprised at Al's statement.

Last edited by ohboy; 05-07-2009 at 03:21 AM. Reason: To correct some silly mistakes.
ohboy is offline   Reply With Quote