Fair 0 0%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #26
Lightning McQueenie
Junior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy View Post
Lightning McQueenie, what incident? Inquiring minds want to know!
Michelle's mother caught "Andrew" (Sam) reading a box of dog food - interesting trick for a blind man. This obviously wouldn't have happened in the original history, and she would most likely have ruined Andrew's career had GFTW not blinded Sam, thus making "Andrew"'s story believable again when Michelle's mother tried to expose him.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #27
Trudy
Waiting Room Visitor

Oh, yeah, that! I thought you were talking about another incident in another episode I forgot. Were there any other incidents in other episodes where GFTW interfered directly?
Old 01-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #28
Lightning McQueenie
Junior Leaper

Quote:
Oh, yeah, that! I thought you were talking about another incident in another episode I forgot. Were there any other incidents in other episodes where GFTW interfered directly?
Well, as I was saying before the forum so rudely censored me, in "The B**gieman", GFTW resets the entire leap :P

I'm sure there are more cases as well, I just can't think of them off hand.

Actually, I do believe that the Evil Project Quantum Leap's inception was from Sam explaining his project under Sodium Pentathol - it's just too big a coincidence having the Evil Leaper appear in the very next episode. I think GFTW must have intervened to put Sam up against her, to at least slow down the rights they were putting wrong... Makes me wonder how they would have finally been defeated had the series progressed...
Old 01-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #29
Trudy
Waiting Room Visitor

I fear I'm the only person who didn't like "The B**gieman" episode. I thought it was way over-the-top. So I can't blame GFTW from erasing that history.

And it's too bad we didn't get any more of the series. I was just a wee one when the series first aired, so my first exposure to Quantum Leap was as a slightly-older wee one on USA Networks. Why did the series end up getting cancelled? I'm going to assume poor ratings, but there's usually a bigger story than that.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:52 AM   #30
Lightning McQueenie
Junior Leaper

Quote:
I fear I'm the only person who didn't like "The B**gieman" episode. I thought it was way over-the-top. So I can't blame GFTW from erasing that history.

And it's too bad we didn't get any more of the series. I was just a wee one when the series first aired, so my first exposure to Quantum Leap was as a slightly-older wee one on USA Networks. Why did the series end up getting cancelled? I'm going to assume poor ratings, but there's usually a bigger story than that.
A combination of the ratings falling and the show being taken in a direction that many did not like (e.g. evil leapers, leaping into the lives of real people...)
Old 07-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #31
OhBoy4
PQL Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie View Post
A combination of the ratings falling and the show being taken in a direction that many did not like (e.g. evil leapers, leaping into the lives of real people...)
Also, NBC was making some really dumb decisions around the time QL was cancelled (1993). Cheers had its swan song in '92, and the shows (along with Cheers) that made NBC the #1 network in the '80s---The Cosby Show, Night Court, The A-Team, St. Elsewhere, Hill Street Blues, Miami Vice, L.A. Law, Family Ties, The Facts of Life, and I believe others I'm forgetting now---were either long gone or on their last legs. The shows NBC used to replace the old ones (with the exception of a Friends here or a Seinfeld there) were nowhere as good. Apparently the network thought its success in the '80s would carry over to later decades. It was wrong.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #32
OhBoy4
PQL Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBoy4 View Post
Also, NBC was making some really dumb decisions around the time QL was cancelled (1993). Cheers had its swan song in '92, and the shows (along with Cheers) that made NBC the #1 network in the '80s---The Cosby Show, Night Court, The A-Team, St. Elsewhere, Hill Street Blues, Miami Vice, L.A. Law, Family Ties, The Facts of Life, and I believe others I'm forgetting now---were either long gone or on their last legs. The shows NBC used to replace the old ones (with the exception of a Friends here or a Seinfeld there) were nowhere as good. Apparently the network thought its success in the '80s would carry over to later decades. It was wrong.
Whoops! Cheers said good-bye in '93, not '92. My apologies.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #33
MichelleD
Control Room Technician

This is a great episode. Favorite scenes: Sam/Scott playing Chopsticks and any time he's interacting with Chopin. Al talking about the girl who played the "oldsies with her toesies" and Al telling Chopin his mother was afraid of cats.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:44 PM   #34
blue enigma
Accelerator Technician

lol I love the scene when Al tells Chopin his mother was afraid of cats. The whole thing is so Al.

Chopin was awesome and it was really lovely the way Sam interacted with him.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #35
Lightning McQueenie
Junior Leaper

I just thought of something about this episode - Sam leapt into this situation to save Michelle from the strangler. Why didn't Ziggy pick up on the fact that Andrew's French neighbour would also be victim to the strangler and tell Sam to try to save her as well?
Old 08-27-2013, 04:59 AM   #36
Donofrio_QLTD
Control Room Technician

Another episode with a very classic vibe to it. The music, the scenes, the situations. It's very hard not to recognize anything from this episode. The characters were well-developed, but I didn't really like Michelle. Of course I hate the mother, haha!, but I didn't find her too unrelatable to reality, either.

Pete was very one-dimensional but fun. I found all the "suspense" parts really funny in this episode and even cartoonish to some extent (for example, when the French girl is strangled in the park, that was sort of a "well, wait a minute..." funny reaction). Didn't like how they sometimes used the same footage from a previous scene.

I thought the ending was a bit rushed. I agree with isz about the "you can't change a POV with a matter of seconds" opinion to a certain point: Sometimes, when the world crumbles to some people, and they are proved wrong about something (probably about who or what they never trusted, like in this case), they can actually change, if deep inside (very, very deep, indeed) they have a shred of goodness. That's what I think happened to the mother (she thought she may have misjudged him), so it may not be a cop-out, after all.

My rating: Average. Classic, but not one of QL's best, in my humble opinion.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:17 AM   #37
jg1981
PQL Visitor

Never really noticed before (it must have been the HD that made me realise this time!) but wow, that's some impressive piano playing from Bakula!
Old 02-12-2016, 12:43 AM   #38
servo75
Imaging Chamber Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexter View Post
There is some men who will always be sexy no matter what age, i remember watching Sean Connery in Medicine Man and there was one scene where I just thought, if that man kissed me, I swear I'd faint. Lucky i was sitting down watching it 'cause I'd have gone weak at the knees.
I don't know if it's just me, but I thought Sam's hair was too long in that season.
Sort of, yes.
Must not be much of a looker, huh?
I wouldn't let her hear you say that.
servo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:46 AM   #39
servo75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan View Post
Yeah I don't like her attitude and the way she slaps her daughter for standing up and disagreeing with her point of views. That scene kind of made me wish Sam had not been busy playing a concert so he could set her stright about hitting her child.
I thought her character was too contrived though, like all of the sudden at the end the mother was like "I have my own life," and following Sam to Andrew's apartment - creepy.
Sort of, yes.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:47 AM   #40
servo75

Default The stage manager

Wasn't the stage manager also Doc's reflection in "How the Tess Was Won?"
Sort of, yes.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:58 AM   #41
MO
Pulse Communications Technician

I was just about to say that! ^ Yes, he played Doc's reflection! With glasses, too!

I loved the concerto part. Scott plays beautifully. The smothering mother reminded me of some helicopter parenting I've seen. I couldn't figure out why, if Michele was so miserable with still being under her mother's rule, she hasn't left and gone out on her own yet. I guess she was never taught how to be an independent adult. Shame.

Interesting twist with who turned out to be the Central Park strangler. I hate that Sam wasn't able to intervene in the French neighbor's death.

Al was great in this one. I literally laughed out loud at the scene where he teased Chopin and then laughed about it, insisting to Sam that yes, it was funny. Because it was. (Full disclosure: It takes a *lot* to make me literally LOL.)

This episode gets a Good rating from me.