Old 03-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
jshiffma
PQL Visitor
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2
Default Need help with a sound reference

Hi all,

I am in need of some advice on a sound from the show. Could someone point me to a clip or audio file of the sound of a failed leap? I think it is some kind of beeping... I am a sound editor and I need to reference the sound for another show as a callback.

Any help would be much appreciated!

-Jeff
__________________
jshiffma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
feldon30
Forum Technician
 
feldon30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshiffma View Post
Hi all,

I am in need of some advice on a sound from the show. Could someone point me to a clip or audio file of the sound of a failed leap? I think it is some kind of beeping... I am a sound editor and I need to reference the sound for another show as a callback.
If my recollection of Quantum Leap history is correct, we've seen 3 failed retrievals. And none of them sounded like "beeping".

The first time was in the pilot "Genesis", and at the time there was no actual leap effect sound (or visual for that matter), other than the clock spinning back and the camera flying back and then upwards). At this point, leaps were depicted with dramatic orchestral music heavy on woodwinds.

The second time was also in season one with Double Identity, where the project's efforts to retrieve Sam instead leaped him from Frankie LaPalma into Geno Fescotti, with the standard leap sound. I've edited together some different leap sounds from season 1 to produce a representative effect. I have attached it below as a 192kbps mp3.

The third time was The Leap Back, and for this one there is a unique variation -- a "mangling" or distressing of the standard leap sound. Again, I've attached this below as a 192kbps mp3.

For reference, I have also included a definitive leap effect sound that represents the seasons 2-5 leap effect.

I hope you find this helpful. If you need either of these as 24/96 WAV please let me know.

http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/soun...dRetrieval.mp3
http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/soun...LeapFinal2.mp3
http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/soun...-LeapFinal.mp3
__________________

Last edited by feldon30; 08-08-2015 at 09:36 PM.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
jshiffma
PQL Visitor
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2
Default

Wow, this is BY FAR the most definitive and helpful response I have EVER received from a forum. I'm so glad I asked!! These sounds are a great reference point for me. I would love to get them in 24/96 wav if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks again for your help feldon30. This is fantastic!

-Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
If my recollection of Quantum Leap history is correct, we've seen 3 failed retrievals. And none of them sounded like "beeping".

The first time was in the pilot "Genesis", and at the time there was no actual leap effect sound (or visual for that matter), other than the clock spinning back and the camera flying back and then upwards). At this point, leaps were depicted with dramatic orchestral music heavy on woodwinds.

The second time was also in season one with Double Identity, where the project's efforts to retrieve Sam instead leaped him from Frankie LaPalma into Geno Fescotti, with the standard leap sound. I've edited together somee different leap sounds from season 1 to produce a representative effect. I have attached it below as a 192kbps mp3.

The third time was The Leap Back, and for this one there is a unique variation -- a "mangling" or distressing of the standard leap sound. Again, I've attached this below as a 192kbps mp3.

For reference, I have also included a definitive leap effect sound that represents the seasons 2-5 leap effect.

I hope you find this helpful. If you need either of these as 24/96 WAV please let me know.
__________________
jshiffma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
feldon30
Forum Technician
 
feldon30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshiffma View Post
Wow, this is BY FAR the most definitive and helpful response I have EVER received from a forum. I'm so glad I asked!! These sounds are a great reference point for me. I would love to get them in 24/96 wav if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks again for your help feldon30. This is fantastic!

-Jeff
Here are those WAVs. Some are 16/44 but hope it helps.

http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/med/...LeapSounds.zip

If you ever want a particularly "freaked out" version of the Leap, catch the evil leaper sound from Deliver Us from Evil.
__________________
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
jshiffma
PQL Visitor
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
Here are those WAVs. Some are 16/44 but hope it helps.

http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/med/...LeapSounds.zip

If you ever want a particularly "freaked out" version of the Leap, catch the evil leaper sound from Deliver Us from Evil.
This is really helpful! Thanks again!!
__________________
jshiffma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2000 - 2016 Al's Place Quantum Leap Fan Site | 4.8.15.16.23.42