Old 11-21-2016, 12:46 PM   #1
Replica Props
PQL Visitor

Default Season 4 Handlink Replica. A 10 year quest.

After Mark Dickson shared photos from the set of season 4 episode "Play Ball" I became obsessed with making a handlink replica. Years ago I drew some cad drawings and over the years I refined them over and over again. Tracking down some of the little LEDs was a quest many QL fans pursued, but after watching and seeing how rare those leds were, I decided to CNC machine from aluminum all the tiles. My plan was to make molds and cast the parts in transparent resin

I ended up with this crude model

Not happy I decided to try the laser cutting route, and sent my cad drawings to a company to do the cutting. I got a few samples cut, but the quality was poor and without actually being there in their office, I could not fiddle with the size adjustments to compensate for the beam width on different power settings. It became apparent that I would need to buy a laser cutter and do it my self. So this year I took the plunge and purchased one from ebay.

After a little experimenting and learning the new machine, I came up with a mock up of the handlink body. This was and is still in the testing phase as I still needed to gather all the data on the electronics and light channeling.
But for a first cut, it was exciting.

I then went on to create another mock up of all the tiles to make sure before I committed to the full size color acrylic, it all fit together.

Happy with that, I purchased all the color acrylic and one by one cut batches of each tile.

Some colors were wrong (and still are, specifically the green) but it slowly came together.

I wont post the hundreds of photos I took during the process, you can see them here if you want. https://www.facebook.com/replicapropscom/

I am not done yet, I still have to find the proper green and work on the electronics, but I wanted to share what I have done to date with people who love the show.

Hope you enjoyed seeing the story of this prop replica.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:57 PM   #2
leaper1
PQL Security Staff

Wow! Talk about a labor of love.

You win the gold for dedication to fandom.

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.(Leo Buscaglia) Helen in Bedford
leaper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
Replica Props
PQL Visitor

And the proper green I was waiting on just arrived.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
Lightning McQueenie
Junior Leaper

I am so impressed. I'm sharing this with the QLP (y)
Old 11-22-2016, 04:11 PM   #5
feldon30
Forum Technician

Truly impressive. There have been discussions here and there about trying to recreate the handlink *exactly* as it was made. The problem is it was made using compound LEDs that were already out-of-production when the show was on the air.

Replica Props has come up with a solution that uses different parts, but he has certainly knocked it out of the park for coming up with a design that looks VERY close to how the screen-used model looks.

Last edited by feldon30; 11-22-2016 at 04:56 PM.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:31 AM   #6
Lightning McQueenie
Junior Leaper

If anyone wants one of these handlink replicas, be sure to put your name on the waiting list here: http://replicaprops.com/Quantum-Leap-Handlink_p_62.html
Old 05-22-2017, 02:28 AM   #7
Al_Calavicci
Control Room Technician

Do you have any for sale yet? I am seriously interested in buying one. You've made the most accurate one I've seen so far.
Al_Calavicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #8
Replica Props
PQL Visitor

I'm still in the build phase. I do plan on selling as soon as they are complete.
Rob
Old 05-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #9
Replica Props
PQL Visitor

I noticed all the photo links expired. Probably because they were all on facebook. If you want to see current progress update photos, they are on my facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/replicapropscom/