The timelime created after Mirror Image.

Starbright

Project QL Intern
Oct 6, 2022
This is related to the spoiler discussion we've been having but also very much it's own thing.

So at the end of Mirror Image, Sam goes to Beth as as his real self in a blaze of blue light that shemay or may not be able to perceive but either way he just appears in her living room moments after having a dance with Al as a hologram and she perhaps thinks she feels his spirit. (Which if anything should make her more sure he is dead not less) .

Now maybe that little moment where she "feels" Al was always Sam popping in but either way - Sam IS now there and they talk.

This early in her life, Beth has never met Sam, should have no idea who he is.

We know that he tells her Al is alive and to wait for him but what else is said?

Does he tell Beth who he is? That he is a time traveler and that Al is his best friend and his hologram?

Does he tell Beth that he was just the cop she met also?

You see Sam has just eliminated both the primary reason he wanted to change time and the reason Al would be drawn to it.

Sam has Donna and his brother back. Al has Beth never leaving. However, there still needs to be a reason for Sam to leap and maybe that's where Beth comes in.

Someday Beth may need to tell another Sam Beckett that he needs to leap or Donna isn't there, Tom isn't there, and she isn't there. She tells him someday you'll come to me and tell me this.

Or maybe he doesn't tell her all that - maybe she realizes only when she sees young Sam Beckett on a magazine cover or meets him with Al. We don't know when or what she tells Al. Maybe it's only after they loose him that she understands exactly when and what that encounter was - Sam's goodbye.

Maybe Sam also leaves fairwell messages he wrote and sealed in a box for everyone.

There are a lot of options but the only way we get the story of Beth and Al in this new time line. Of Sam and Donna. Of the friendship and posdible secrets that united them - is for Beth to tell the story on screen (unless it's in a book/graphic novel/animated with someone else voicing Al, etc) - because even if they De-age Scott and Susan and have a good Donna - short of digital recreation or splicing together some footage we don't get Dean for new scenes as Al.

So if Beth is telling the story you can get away with splicing, restoring certain rare footage, etc. And for Beth to talk about this organically she needs to be drawn more into the story and ne talking to people.

A relationship with Magic isn't the only way to do this. But they both know about Quantum Leap, and Magic isn't afraid of Al's shadow over them. They are old friends who can choose to be comfortable with each other and a friendship that is slowly morphing into a sort of long term companionship.

Al may have even asked Magic to look after his wife and given something akin to a blessing. Widow marriages used to be a very common thing you don't betray a spouse who has died even if they were the great and true love of your life just because you find someone you enjoy spending time with and decide not to be alone.

So yeah I'd love to watch a very supportive Magic talking and joking about Al with Beth. Listening to the stories only she knows.

Bringing her closer to others on the project , having her try being a hologram with Ben.

Maybe someday encountering Sam out there and getting a chance to meet Al as a young boy and say a goodbye that is both very different and similar to the one in MIA - both for herself and the audience.

It would be poetry.

If the writers don't give this to us, I think I'm serious about this turning into a fanfic although I don't know if I can write it by myself.

So yeah I hoping Magic and Beth are dating because it leads to the best way I can think of to fully make Al and Sam into real people for new viewers- the stories Beth can tell, the things only Beth knows.

She was the last one to ever see Sam and quite possibly the new reason he leaped.

Thoughts

I’m hoping to hear more about exactly sorts of things seeing a massive spoiler posted on Twitter.

I say that as someone who wrote/is working on with an eye towards completing of a fanfic from Beth’s POV that starts at the end of M.I.A./Mirror Image and is currently in the 1980’s, knowing that whatever might come out in the show will fully render it Alternate Universe. (It already is AU because I had my own ideas about the four Calavicci daughters and Janis isn’t one of them, as no one had any info to work from back then other than there were 4 of them. Lol I started it in 1995 and resumed it last fall after a 15 year hiatus due to life. Links to it are in the fanfic section further down if anyone would like to read it. It’s on fanfiction.net and I update it when I can—I’m a homeschool mom so it’s very much a matter of *when* I can! Lol)

I think I found the spoilers you were referring to if it's episode stills.

There is a limit to what they tell us but - interesting.

-----

I went back to look at the end of Mirror Image and Beth does *not* see Sam's leap in - her back is turned, so she could have heard or felt something weird but IF she sees the blue light it's when/If Sam leaps out next to her.

Sam does identify himself as a friend of Al. I'm not going to type the scene out word for word but I'd forgotten just how strong that scene is for all that I don't really love most of Mirror Image.

Both Sam and Beth have tears in thier eyes. I know the bartender says Sam can go home but it has always felt, to me, that Sam gave up his chance to go home to give his best friend a better life. Otherwise he could have done that *then* gone home but it didn't work that way.

Why is Sam crying talking to Beth, when I saw it the first time I thought maybe this meant Al would never be his best friend, his hologram. We now know Al was there and about Al never letting go of trying to find Sam - my gut feel is he knew what Sam did for him. Not every detail of it but somehow at some point - before Sam left, after he lept, or perhaps after Mirror Image when Beth finally understood her original encounter or told him.

I want to know about the rest of that conversation, about how and what happened when Sam left.

That rare footage we know of, the denim may have been Dean's regular clothes for a rehearsal but it struck me that this was an Al that was more comfortable and at ease with himself. He had no need to wear all sorts of outrageous and creative clothing. I always kinda figured it was his little rebellion to military structure and having being a POW to just wear the wildest stuff he could find any time he wasn't in uniform.

Of course, we now have that line from the revival about his questionable fashion choices. So eccentric admiral he still was but sometimes he also wore comfortable denim I guess - my limited psychology background and much larger lack of sleep will need to ponder that - once I actually get some sleep.

Last edited:
For a fleeting few moments as I watched Sam leap into Beth's living room in this episode at age 17, I imagined the massive heart-to-heart and infodump you just described, as Sam explains who he is, how he knows Al, and how the Quantum Leap project still needs to happen even though the reason for it has just been changed or removed entirely.

The recently released filmed rehearsal of future Beth and Al talking in their living room at Project Quantum Leap about Sam would have confirmed that this Sam-Beth conversation took place. Otherwise as you say, it makes no sense. Indeed the conclusion I drew was that Sam and Al never met and that St. John was the observer for all of Sam's leaps and then after Mirror Image, he was leaping alone. This was a huge slap in the face to me.

When I hear the suggestion that Sam is still "trapped in time" or "lost" it drives me crazy. The ending of Mirror Image was Sam self-actualizing. He knows who he is. He remembers Beth. He remembers past people he's leaped into. Otherwise how could have a heart-to-heart with Beth and tell her about Project Quantum Leap to maintain the timeline?

We know from interviews with Don Bellisario and things said at Conventions that Sam and Al were "always slated to meet" and that season 6 would have opened with a 2 hour episode to address the events of Mirror Image and then the show would have resumed the standard "problem of the week" formula of previous Quantum Leap. Leaping would become Sam's day job and he could leap home, as himself, any time he wants, or he can leap directionlessly giving himself to the timeline, and be thrown into another person's life to fix.

The new Quantum Leap should have opened with a recap, the deleted rehearsal of Al and Beth with some CGI to add Quantum Leap scenery (since it was filmed in a living room), and more scenes with Beth (instead, what few scenes there were of Beth and Magic by her car were cut short to give us 2 minutes of Ian and the rest of the QL bunch gaping at a CGI map). They should have given us that instead of the hackneyed Train Job Bank Heist.

I was also 17 when I saw Mirror Image.

McDuck I read your story - you should totally keep writing it, it may be AU but that doesn't matter, keep going :)

Feldon - per lost in time, from the perspective of the people at the project Sam IS missing.

I'm also not sure it's quite as clear-cut as he is fully I'm control.

Maybe he had the option to go home - from that moment in that Bar and maybe had the series continued Sam would have been going home when he wished or had Al leaping with him.

Something else happened and I have *lots* of potential scenarios. But the Sam we know would not have let Al spend his life searching or abandoned Donna with no closure.

Either Sam legit does not know Al remembers him or *something* else happened after he left Beth. Whatever that something is and the conversation Sam had with Beth long ago is the key to those answers.

More meta thoughts :

I understand that the revival was originally under a different show runner, that Scott said no to whatever they planned for him in the original pilot script (and if it was mortally wounded Sam appears in front of someone with a final message or something equally awful them I'm glad he said no to that script and that group.

I would much rather have this show establish itself, build in enough history for new/casual viewers and then have a meaty recurring role that is worthy of both Scott and Sam.

There are a *lot* of ways to incorporate him on a recurring basis or even fully add him to the cast if Scott is open to that. Unfortunately, with Dean gone there are some scenes that we will never get short of some extremely creative solutions.

As for that wonderful scene with Beth and Al, I would have *loved* to see it as the opener to this series but other then the change of showrunner I have some educated guesses why we didn't get it.

Number 1(Technical) - Is that footage really high enough quality to open a series. Honestly it isn't, the visuals have been improved a lot but the audio is still barely discernable. I highly doubt an attempt at enhancing that footage was in the pilot budget,maybe it's available for this year? But even with a lot of enhancement work, the bottom line is we just don't have Dean to help with audio. Maybe a computer can enhance things enough but I have my doubts.

According to Wikipedia both Dean and his brother had kids is there a family member or immitator willing and able to help make even 1 or 2 scenes with Al's voice?

There have been movies and episodes that family and friends of a no longer living actor have helped to finish - even when these people were not actors. So if there is a good candidate and willingness from family- it would be incredible to at least have one rare footage scene made cannon and whatever it takes to create an eventual reunion scene between Sam and Al. I mean I would love more then that but just those two scenes would be incredible.

True New footage with Dean isn't possible but I do believe that with the proper framing as a story or dream from Beth the video from that rare footage can be used.

Number 2 (storyline) - those of us on this forum are not casual fans of the original series who vaguely remember the original show. However there are new viewers that are seekng the revival and then perhaps watching the original as well as those casual viewers from back when.

Think about Star Trek: The Next Generation, or the Arrowverse shows like The Flash. They stood on thier own but had both guest stars and even actual legacy cast members.

I am still predicting Scott shows up either this year or next year. It depends on how they bring him in and what Scott wants. Is it brief teases leading to outright joining the cast, is it a "special event", etc. We might even get a fake Sam (where Scott plays some Villian who briefly takes Sam's face.) before we get real Sam. And I can totally go for Scott taking a turn as a um a certain mysterious evil entity's Halloween disguise <impish grin>.

I'll say again - Sam Beckett appears prior to or I'm the season 3 finale -

There are also lots of clips of Al, convention footage, interviews, outtakes, production still, other performances. Maybe even home movies.

So I'm sure an actual tribute to Dean can be pulled off to *some* degree but yeah after new viewers care more about Al and, Sam, Beth, etc is probably better.

I also love the recent suggestion of having Ben visit a prior leap with Sam and Al as Star Trek has done. That would be a lot of fun.

And another good way of connecting new viewers to the original show and getting old fans to check out the new show.

Not sure I'd all of you want my long list of possible scenarios related to what happened to Sam and how he could join the team but - I have lots of ideas.

Starbright, Thank you! I am hoping to add at least two more chapters to it this month--set that as one of my NaNoWriMo goals. I've got another post-MI/pre-QL story that I've been working on since March that I'm trying to finish (another NaNoWriMo goal lol). That one sort of DOES tie in to the revival series as it has a 4 year old Janis in it.

Soooooooo, who's watched the latest episode?

I have a lot to process about it all, still, and am still digesting y'all's excellent comments above since my last posting. We got a slight HINT at some information by things Beth said tonight. Well delivered, and I'm still trying to decide how I feel about it all (it's positive). I may have to rewatch all the Beth scenes we've been given thus far. I do hope we continue to see Susan Diol in this season! (And yes, I, too, continue to hold out hope for Scott in the right way!!)

As for that wonderful scene with Beth and Al, I would have *loved* to see it as the opener to this series but other then the change of showrunner I have some educated guesses why we didn't get it.

Number 1(Technical) - Is that footage really high enough quality to open a series. Honestly it isn't, the visuals have been improved a lot but the audio is still barely discernable. I highly doubt an attempt at enhancing that footage was in the pilot budget,maybe it's available for this year? But even with a lot of enhancement work, the bottom line is we just don't have Dean to help with audio. Maybe a computer can enhance things enough but I have my doubts.
NBC would still have possession of the 35mm film negatives (likely shot open matte so it could even be used widescreen if there aren't lights and camera stands off to the side) and Don Bellisario undoubtedly has a video tape master copy of this footage in excellent quality. A 4th generation VHS tape fan copy that finally appeared on Reddit 30 years later wouldn't be used as a starting point.

Number 2 (storyline) - those of us on this forum are not casual fans of the original series who vaguely remember the original show. However there are new viewers that are seekng the revival and then perhaps watching the original as well as those casual viewers from back when.
Studios want it both ways.

They want to bank on an established IP with established characters and get the existing audience for free BUT they then feel no obligation to that audience. I will agree that showrunners, writers, directors, producers and actors don't owe the fans anything UNLESS they are continuing an established franchise. That's where I draw the line. I feel the showrunners of established properties have an obligation to show respect for the material and have a good storytelling reason for changes. I AM sympathetic to the fact that TV and movie professionals are under tremendous pressure to continue existing IP rather than creating untested properties. Continuing any existing show or movie without ticking off too many fans while picking up new ones is an almost impossible job. But it IS a job.
But the Sam we know would not have let Al spend his life searching or abandoned Donna with no closure.
Now you understand why I had incandescent rage towards Mirror Image. That was absolutely my conclusion. Sam decided leaping was more important than seeing his best friend or his wife. Sam just walked away from everything to be a goodie two shoes leaper for the rest of his natural life. I still have intense feelings of hurt about this episode 35 years later.

The Beth/Al scene would have completely changed this. Don clarifying at conventions "Sam and Al were always slated to meet" was nice for people who went. I didn't.

I'll say again - Sam Beckett appears prior to or I'm the season 3 finale
That would be spectacular. They'll have to write a really attractive part in the new show for him to come back.

So I'm sure an actual tribute to Dean can be pulled off to *some* degree but yeah after new viewers care more about Al and, Sam, Beth, etc is probably better.
While I'd have loved a bigger tribute, the footage of Beth and Al establishes Sam's capabilities and a clue to how he might be found. I think that's its biggest value as a 45 second piece of footage.

As far as NBC having the 35mm - I hope so. Universal had a fire in 2008 that destroyed a bunch of stuff. I know some NBC shows were impacted. Belisario saying certain scenes were never filmed that we now have rehersal footage could mean he was being cagey. That would be the answer that leads to the easy road.

The harder roads are if the footage was destroyed or if the scene never got past rehersal stage because word of the cancelation came down and they just never filmed it with microphones. I hope you are right Feldon. By rough guess - the probability is 60-70 percent that there is a better version for them to use. Its still complicated with no Dean for pickup shots or voice over, framing to fit in an ep, and special effects to add but I am hopeful we see that scene and/or other footage they can cobble together. Possibly even this year.

I love that we are in a continuation and I do think the current showrunner IS trying to build something new while honoring and connecting to the original. Not perfectly but I am seeing hopeful indicators and thinking positive.

I think I can say that much without spoilers for the most recent ep ;)

I hate that it took so long to get a revival that Dean passed away. And yeah we are in a similar place on Mirror Image - Eventually I will force myself to watch it again.

I like the new team and love that Quantum Leap is getting the chance to be a universe/franchise of its own. That part is really cool.

For Scott - they need to write something worthy of both his skill as an actor and of Sam the charactor. I'd like to see him in a meaty recurring role, special events, or outright joining the cast depending on which Scott is interested in.

But first they have to reconnect with Sam in the current situation without destroying his charactor and telling a good story. Once that is resolved then it doesn't really matter if he becomes the new hologram, a fellow leaper, a leaper who alternates with Ben, is running a special time/space spot for Ben to visit regularly, Is a project consultant, etc. There are plenty of ways to make him anything from special guest star to cast member for a full season or more.

So that brings us to the various possible explanations of what happened to Sam after he saw Beth in mirror image.

------
All of these options take into account the existing meta situation and locked in information.

Scenario 1: maybe Sam would have been able to go home from that Bar but once he choose to go to Beth and give Al a better life - that changed in some way.

Which leads to multiple branches of why and how things play out but it could be as simple as you can go whereever/whenever you wish only via certain special points I'm space-time like that bar and he just had no idea how much time then passes, that Al remembers him, and that people he cares about need him.

The problem is - Scott having aged in real life doesn't really work with him being frozen for years like Ben and since I want Scott to reprise the role of Sam in an extended way - we could do some de-aged flashbacks but de-aging him for every appearance is probably not ideal - plus that would be super sad - Sam frozen for decades not even out there doing good. It's bad enough Al isn't there to come home to - but hoping he can reunite with Angel-leaper Al or something.

Perhaps Sam made a change so big that going home would set some of those very improvements in doubt and so he has to keep leaping to keep his changes and loved ones safe until Ben is able to takeover/He finishes a series of leaps. That would kinda go with the quantum physics concept of collapsing the waveform solidifies which probability actually takes place.

Maybe it's as simple as he goes home - he can't leap again and he has to keep leaping for some reason.

Maybe there was some kind of block on certain years/,places making them impossible for Sam to access somehow.

Scenario 2 - Sam is captured or otherwise prevented from returning in some way by some other group, entity, or force. Gets stuck after a failed leap, or does not dare leap out of some situation and risk the original person returning.

Scenario 3: Sam discovered something so critical, some threat or need so big that he couldn't leave or risk being followed back to those he cared about. Or perhaps is acting as the protector of someone or something of critical importance.

One example, I could see is if he litterally had to stop someone or something from wiping out the ancestors of everyone on both projects or something like that.

Scenario 4: Sam *did* or will go to Al but for some reason Al had to keep Sam's visits secret.

I have my doubts it would play well - plus again no Dean.

Scenario 5: Sam had to take over a certain bar in temporary weird space or similar but eventually ends up visitable/able to project himself to Ben or the project as a hologram.

Sam is not exactly human anymore and is closer to an Angel-leaper. Although he can leap home, he gets pulled back into the time stream, or people can"'t see him, or he can only be corporeal for a short time or some other weird situation.

Scenario 6: Sam has no memory of certain things for some reason. Could easily turn awful storywise.

Scenario 7: Sam is and has been home or does visit - but is under some other identity for some reason that is very complicated.

Trying to think if I left any options out.

I think there is a picture of Trudy in the extended ending

One thing I *just* noticed watching the "Quantumm Leap Alternate Ending Series Finale 4K Restoration"

On the family photo with Al, Beth, and the 4 girls there is also a black and white photo of a young girl attached, its blink and you'll miss it - it has to be Trudy, and quite possibly the only photo Al had of her. What an incredible detail that feels so so right.

This may be an old discovery to most of you or totally new.

I'm thankful for your detailed thoughts and theories.

As you undoubtedly know, after the 35mm slides of the Alternate/Original Ending surfaced on eBay, Richard Herd (Moe Stein) was able to confirm to the Quantum Leap Podcast that the Beth & Al scene appeared in the pages of his Official Shooting Script of Mirror Image. Herd provided camera phone pictures of each page, including Al leaping into Al's Place Bar in the future, talking to the Bartender, looking in a mirror, and seeing that he was a blond bombshell. I think it was shortly after this that the grainy 4th gen VHS copy of the Beth & Al footage appeared on Reddit.

Up until recently, Don Bellsario repeatedly dismissed claims that these scenes existed, saying they were "fan fiction" and the imaginations of fans running wild, even as inner circle fans of Quantum Leap had been passing around tape copies of this scene shown at fan conventions.

So to my eyes, the Beth & Al scene seems like a rehearsal. They seem to be in street clothes. Al's garb in particular is very New Mexico 90's in style. I figure it was coming down to the wire on whether QL would be renewed or not and so they filmed this scene just in case. They may have even gotten word during filming that the show was cancelled. For one second after the director calls "Cut", Dean's face doesn't relax. He looks down. But it's 1 second of footage so who knows. Clearly things were rushed as the production wound down as indicated by the misspelled title card.

There are microphones as visible in the 35mm negatives found by Allison Pregler:
https://qlnegatives.tumblr.com/

Amazing catch about Trudi. I never noticed.

You posit some interesting ideas. Perhaps close-mindedly, I always took everything at face value. Sam leaped with his body, and at the end of Mirror Image, he can leap anywhere, any time. I never envisioned any great conspiracy or that Sam was frozen in time. Throughout Quantum Leap, I dismissed most of the supernatural elements as just a fun storytelling exercise or something to bump up ratings. I took A Portrait for Troian as them wanting to tell a ghost story with elements of 70's mystery shows, not that there were actual ghosts. I took the B**g**m*n as a dream. I took the Evil Leapers as rival leapers whose motives were evil from the start, rather than being corrupted or guided by the Devil. I never really had an opinion about the vampire episode other than "silly". But if you add all these (and bigfoot) up, maybe Quantum Leap was a supernatural show all along and I was just viewing with blinders.

Ben being frozen in time for years to me is just... annoying. Unless they're going to have an exceptional reason and explanation for it, it seems like LOST mystery spitballing.

I'm glad people are enjoying Quantum Leap 35 years later, even if they're not making the new show for me.

Last edited:
Susan Diol is interviewed that she at least was in costume and aged makeup. Highly possible Dean was in his own clothes; yet if you look at the family portrait, he’s in a white shirt with a red cardigan over normal looking slacks. So it’s also possible that new timeline Al dressed more conservatively, maybe just sometimes or at home?. (It’s that or Beth was exceptionally persuasive at controlling the family wardrobe for family portraits.)

Susan Diol is interviewed that she at least was in costume and aged makeup. Highly possible Dean was in his own clothes; yet if you look at the family portrait, he’s in a white shirt with a red cardigan over normal looking slacks. So it’s also possible that new timeline Al dressed more conservatively, maybe just sometimes or at home?. (It’s that or Beth was exceptionally persuasive at controlling the family wardrobe for family portraits.)
Oh interesting! I guess they're in their living room at the Calevicci home in NM then.

Sorry about the vanishing act - between starting a new job and losing *multiple* attempted posts to a variety of misadventures - yeah a quick post is better then none.

So first great catch on those microphones. Its been way to long since I looked at the stills versus watching the video of that footage. So yeah *that* was most likely the piece of data I was trying to remember - and its a great sign.

Now just because microphones are visible in episode stills does not mean we have clear audio but the odds *could* go as high as 80% that the footage is useable - especially combined with Susan Diol confirming she was in age makeup and costume.

Maybe we even *should* go back to my original interpretation of the pictures and what Al was wearing as a change in Al from Beth being there - and more comfortable as himself. That line in the new series came later but the original intent may have been to partially use wardrobe to show who he became in the new timeline.

Btw when I saw the original ending broadcast my version *had* the photos and the written messages but not the added scene with Beth and Al. Did anyone else get that version?

So as far as the sound, the stills, the video it looks like they came awfully close to fully filming that scene for air. Now we don't know they ever turned on those microphones, or if a train cameby, someone sneezed, it just isn't clear enough or even if the footage was destroyed somehow but yeah the odds go up.

I am happy to report that several of my short term educated guess/predictions have come true so lets hope I'm right about the things most of us so badly want to see.

I am standing by us seeing Scott/Sam by the season 3 finale or prior.

There are a bunch of other stuff to discuss but getting this posted before anything *else* gets in the way.

Now just because microphones are visible in episode stills does not mean we have clear audio but the odds *could* go as high as 80% that the footage is useable - especially combined with Susan Diol confirming she was in age makeup and costume.

Maybe we even *should* go back to my original interpretation of the pictures and what Al was wearing as a change in Al from Beth being there - and more comfortable as himself. That line in the new series came later but the original intent may have been to partially use wardrobe to show who he became in the new timeline.
That's a great point. He might not have had the outrageous outfits if he had stayed with Beth all along.

Btw when I saw the original ending broadcast my version *had* the photos and the written messages but not the added scene with Beth and Al. Did anyone else get that version?
If the scene with Beth and Al had been in any broadcast, someone would have it on VHS. I was on the east coast and I recorded Mirror Image on VHS on its initial airing. In fact after after the end credits and staring dumbfounded at the screen for 5 minutes, I rewound the tape, and watched it again immediately hoping to find some further meaning to it.

Yet we know other fans had seen this unreleased Beth & Al scene and that copies were floating around in the inner circle and I believe shown at fan conventions. It took 30 years for it to make it out to the internet at large.

I am happy to report that several of my short term educated guess/predictions have come true so lets hope I'm right about the things most of us so badly want to see.

I am standing by us seeing Scott/Sam by the season 3 finale or prior.

There are a bunch of other stuff to discuss but getting this posted before anything *else* gets in the way.
Sometimes a post has too much to respond to. I get that! :) I hope we get some kind of Scott/Sam connection too.