Another Mother

• Total voters

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
Another Mother
September 30, 1981

Scottsdale, Arizona

As a mother of a teenager, a pre-teen, and a toddler, Sam must prevent the kidnapping and disappearance of her son while at the same time managing all the duties of a Mom! To complicate matters, the toddler, Teresa, can see Al and knows that Sam is not her mother.

This episode has a novel sequel and is Al's Place Bartender's favorite episode!

Written by: Deborah Pratt
Directed by: Joseph L. Scanlan

Rate and comment on this episode!

Last edited by a moderator:
:D I really did like this episode it is one of my favorites.I really
like how Al sang Teresa a sleep.

Sam finding out just how hard it is to be a working mom!! Man, with all the problems I've personally had lately, it has a whole new truth to it as well!! heheheh

I thought the abduction scene was well done. And of course, it's pure cannon for it brings in Sam's martial arts background... I just wish they would have thought of it in the first season when he was the "Boxer"...

Matt

This was very good. This is where you learn about Sam's knowledge of martial arts and you also find out that children under the age of 5 can see Sam and Al. Great sequel in the virtual seasons.

jmstone65 said:
:D I really did like this episode it is one of my favorites.I really

Excellent episode, my favourite one with Al in, loved it when he sings to Teresa (later found out is the producers daughter called Troian!) no wonder Dean Stockwell likes the girl, shows through his acting - totally believable. love the song :D :dreaming 8) :hurray:

I really did like this episode it is one of my favorites.I really
Me too - it's so cute, but what I like most about that scene is how it's almost exactly like the scene from Anchors Aweigh, when Dean was the little kid and Frank Sinatra was the one singing him to sleep. I just thought it was nice to see it come full circle.

I absolutely love this episode. My favorite scenes are with Al and Teresa, they are just so precious. Al's off-key singing of 'Inchworm' is probably one of the absolute best moments in the show. It's hard to believe that the girl who played Teresa is now a grown up. That episode is most definitely a gem.

I adore this episode, not least because the kids are approximately similar ages to my own three kids. As a former Girl Scout leader, I love the line when Kevin looks at the knocked out bad guys and says, "Mom! HOW?" and Sam says, "Girl Scouts."

As the mom of a teenage son, I LOVED LOVED LOVED Sam's speech about virginity. "It doesn't matter if you're male or female. And there's no special time it has to happen. But there does have to be a special reason - when you love someone so much that making love with them is the most natural way of expressing it." Perfection.

The first episode of QL with Ziggy interduction in the series...to bad it took them 22 episode to come with it.
Anywway... Sam as a mom was quite entertaining,and i really liked Troian Bellisario role as Teresa,but...I found the story itself a bit below good. Not something unforgetable(Not even close,actuelly) like "The Color of Truth","Man of la mancha", "Good night dear heart","last dance before an execution", "MIA","Mirror Image" and a few more.

As my kids get older, I like this one more and more. My favorite bit is Teresa's delivery of the line: "That'snotMommythat'saman." Just the way she says it cracks me up. And the dialogue among the three kids is very believable.

It's a little painful to watch the practical joke scene, because the son is so humiliated. I guess it's done well, since I want to reach through the screen and slap all of his "friends."

Me too - it's so cute, but what I like most about that scene is how it's almost exactly like the scene from Anchors Aweigh, when Dean was the little kid and Frank Sinatra was the one singing him to sleep. I just thought it was nice to see it come full circle.
That's the first time I've heard this. I'll have to watch that movie someday, if only for that scene! Thanks for the info.

I love how she says:
"thats not my mommy thats a man, and so's the guy in the yukky shirt"
Al: hey this is my favorite shirt this is cutting edge stuff!
Teresa: It's yukky!

and Al looks at her like "Hey!"
I am laughing just typing this.

I also love when Al is in the back of the van with a tied up Kevin and one of the dudes crawls back there and towards Kevin and Al responds with:
"You lay one hand on this kid you slimeball and I'll Kill yah, I don't know how, but I'll kill yah."

bluedana said:
That's the first time I've heard this. I'll have to watch that movie someday, if only for that scene! Thanks for the info.

It's a looooong movie... but little Dean steals the show. It was his first film, at age 8. It also includes the classic scene of Gene Kelly dancing with animated Jerry Mouse, which was state-of-the-art special effects for the time.

Anyway, Another Mother is one of my favorites. Just a lot of fun, yucky shirt and all.

Brillant one this...Al is the man here and he shows it..Al made a promise to the little girl he would come back..I don't think he ever did though!...As mentioned here Al came back in the virtual seasons..does anyone know what series and espisode that was...I would love to read it...

This is a good episode, I particularly like how Sam and Al take on the "Mum and Dad" roles, squabbling like an old married couple haha. And it makes you realise just how good a dad Al would have been if he'd had the chance. But as someone said, I only voted good because this episode is somewhat forgettable as opposed to some others.

this episode made me laugh, be on edge and even jump for joy when sam beat upthe bad dudes, a good quote was:

Kid: If i have a Mum like that I'd still be a virgin
Al: you still are a virgin pimple face and you're gonna stay one until 6 years time

I also love this episode and the begining with Tersea is so precious. She is a gem. I love the way that Sam spoke to the young man about losing his virginity and sex. It was senere and filled with wisdom.
Sam really cared. I also felt Al's compassion for the young boy as those two kidnappers took him. He had a look of don't hurt his boy or your're gone. It was the way any parent or person who loves children would feel if someone was trying to hurt their own.
This one is up there with another gem of an episode. bravo.

Indiana Leaper said:
Brillant one this...Al is the man here and he shows it..Al made a promise to the little girl he would come back..I don't think he ever did though!...As mentioned here Al came back in the virtual seasons..does anyone know what series and espisode that was...I would love to read it...

You know I really loved this ep, but didn't really see the similarities between me and her until now, separated, 3 kids, 2 oldies and the 'what the hell was I thinking' baby. There is just so much on my plate right now, I was talking to the lady in the movie library today and she said (and I'm getting sick of hearing it) I dont' know how you do it, well today I didn't know how I did it and I just bawled!! She let me take out a DVD for free! Awwwww!!

I thought that this episode was great. There were many great scenes. I LOVED the last scene with Sam and Kevin at the breakfast table. I thought it was most inspiring. I also loved Teresa; she is such a sweetheart. And Al's affection for Teresa was just so touching. Overall a wonderful show.

this episode made me laugh, be on edge and even jump for joy when sam beat upthe bad dudes, a good quote was:

Kid: If i have a Mum like that I'd still be a virgin
Al: you still are a virgin pimple face and you're gonna stay one until 6 years time

I've always wondered how Ziggy could possibly know this. After all, she only gets information that's recorded in databases. Did this kid take out a newspaper article or something when he finally did lose his virginity? Hahaha

I've always wondered how Ziggy could possibly know this. After all, she only gets information that's recorded in databases. Did this kid take out a newspaper article or something when he finally did lose his virginity? Hahaha

Good point.
Maybe he got a dose of something [ahem] and it was therefore on his medical records!

I just realised something - there is a reason why they decided to have the generic introduction at the beginning of each episode from this episode on, rather than having Sam reprise the previous episode.

It's clear that the shows were written so that they could (almost) be watched in any order, and it was clear that in the first run, they wanted to show repeats every now and then. Two weeks prior, they had shown a repeat of Kamikazi Kid, and so had to reprise Kamikazi Kid instead of the episode that should have been shown. So they decided to have a generic introduction from that point on, so that they could be shown in any order.

Having watched a lot of SVU, in my recent viewings of this episode I have come to realize that the kidnappers make no sense.

One thing that seems to be supported by Kevin's (bloodied) clothes being found separate from his vanished body and the one man's advance on Sam, is that they are sexual predators.
They're victimology however is all over the place.
In an earlier scene they are shown scouting a couple of kids, a bother and a sister who look to be in the 8-10 age range getting off a school bus and being picked up by their mother.
How could they have gone from that to targeting a 15 year old boy and then making an attempt on a middle aged mother?

While SVU doesn't make me an expert it has more often than not portrayed sexual predators as having specific preferences. Prepubescent girls, prepubescent boys, teenage girls, teenage boys, adult women with handicaps, a certain color hair, a certain race etc.

These guys were under developed and poorly written but it's television after all and I love this episode for Teresa and the series for it's many other well done aspects so it doesn't matter much to me.

Having watched a lot of SVU, in my recent viewings of this episode I have come to realize that the kidnappers make no sense.

One thing that seems to be supported by Kevin's (bloodied) clothes being found separate from his vanished body and the one man's advance on Sam, is that they are sexual predators.
They're victimology however is all over the place.
In an earlier scene they are shown scouting a couple of kids, a bother and a sister who look to be in the 8-10 age range getting off a school bus and being picked up by their mother.
How could they have gone from that to targeting a 15 year old boy and then making an attempt on a middle aged mother?

While SVU doesn't make me an expert it has more often than not portrayed sexual predators as having specific preferences. Prepubescent girls, prepubescent boys, teenage girls, teenage boys, adult women with handicaps, a certain color hair, a certain race etc.

These guys were under developed and poorly written but it's television after all and I love this episode for Teresa and the series for it's many other well done aspects so it doesn't matter much to me.

I agree about the kidnappers. Overall this episode felt too rushed. The kidnappers were a plot point that didn't make a whole lot of sense. Worst of all, after Sam knocks them out, he and Kevin just get into their car and drive away! Did they call the police? Talk about your loose threads.

The other thing I noticed is that this seems to be the only episode where Sam "senses" he's about to leap, giving Al ample time to say a proper goodbye to Teresa. I can't think of any other episode where Sam has that much advance warning he's about to leap out. Usually it takes him completely by surprise.

A mixed bag of an episode, in my opinion. Well-developed characters here and there... but also sometimes very cliched and, again, one-dimensional. Some very light-hearted moments (like for kids), some very touching, dramatic and serious, and some other were suspenseful. The actors who played the perverts are very believable and those moments were well played out. Teresa was lovable but sometimes a bit distracting, except for her last scene, which was so touching (wow!, I think Troian Bellisario is about my same age now!!).

Liked the character of Jackie, but the bullies were all cartoons and cliched. Didn't like the sister (Susan) at all, and while Kevin was a very good character, the actor who played him looked a bit too old to be playing a teenager, in my opinion. He was supposed to be a 16 year old, I think, and he looked like 22, 23.

I thought the mentioning of that other show by Donald P. Bellisario, Magnum P.I., was unnecessary and a bit over-the-top. The topics in themselves: the teenage years, the bullying, the social pressure, the urge/pressure of losing your virginity, the fact of being different in a middle full of jerks, the sort of life on middle-class neighborhoods like those, the fact of being a single mother with more than 2 kids against the whole world, all those topics were great, and, while Deborah Pratt didn't handle them in a perfect way, perhaps with only a little scratch at their reality, I think she managed to get her point across and it actually worked for me. The first episode with the "Ziggy" voice-over introduction (even if it was a man here - great thing they immediately switched it after this ep.). This intro wasn't as great as Sam's voice-over at the beginning of each teaser, in my opinion, but, as time goes by, you get used to it and it actually isn't that bad.

By the way, that neighborhood were they lived looked a lot like the one that was used in the music video for the song "Subdivisions" by the rock-prog band "Rush" (a favorite of mine).

My rating: Average.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I also loved the way Sam "senses" the correct time when he has to leap out.

Last edited: