Why no modern leaps?

Clint Calavicci

Project QL Intern
Aug 31, 2022
This may have been discussed before but anyone ever wonder why Sam never leapt into the "90s"? The show was set in 1999 but (as I recall) there weren't ever any leaps into the time between 89 (when the show aired) and 99 when it was set. Thoughts?

This may have been discussed before but anyone ever wonder why Sam never leapt into the "90s"? The show was set in 1999 but (as I recall) there weren't ever any leaps into the time between 89 (when the show aired) and 99 when it was set. Thoughts?

Let's first establish Sam's lifetime: 8/8/53 - the present. We can discern that Sam's first leap was circa May, 1995. The "future's" timespan progressed along with us as the audience. (There are minor date inconsistencies which appear to be continuity mistakes.)

The furthest year Sam leapt was 1987 in "Revemge / Evil Leaper II." It seems that the ripple effects of Sam's adjustments probably could not truly be known from Project Quantum Leap's point in time. Even they had a future.

The original Quantum Leap was an anthology show, with a different setting and people every week. The only constants being Sam and Al. I think Don wanted to do a nostalgia drama so he could commentate on the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Leaps in the 90's wouldn't necessarily offer that interest.

The new show, by the way, may be more of a Procedural Ensemble like CSI or Law & Order but with time travel?

The original Quantum Leap was an anthology show, with a different setting and people every week. The only constants being Sam and Al. I think Don wanted to do a nostalgia drama so he could commentate on the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Leaps in the 90's wouldn't necessarily offer that interest.

The new show, by the way, may be more of a Procedural Ensemble like CSI or Law & Order but with time travel?

Interesting observation. It's sad that the new series can only go back to 1985. All of Ben Song's leaps will be from well within my lifetime and the way the pilot looked, it may as well have taken place today. It's harder to make nostalgic episodes but I really hope they try harder. I'm guessing the time period would be roughly 1985-2012 or something like that. The general rule seemed to be not within 10 years of time at the project.

Let's first establish Sam's lifetime: 8/8/53 - the present. We can discern that Sam's first leap was circa May, 1995. The "future's" timespan progressed along with us as the audience. (There are minor date inconsistencies which appear to be continuity mistakes.)

The furthest year Sam leapt was 1987 in "Revemge / Evil Leaper II." It seems that the ripple effects of Sam's adjustments probably could not truly be known from Project Quantum Leap's point in time. Even they had a future.

Minor inconsistencies is putting it lightly. In "Shock Theater" Al mentioned to Tibby he was 43 years in the future (1997) then in the very next episode Sam came home to September 1999. Then even later on in Star Light Star Bright, it was May 1, 1999

Interesting observation. It's sad that the new series can only go back to 1985. All of Ben Song's leaps will be from well within my lifetime and the way the pilot looked, it may as well have taken place today. It's harder to make nostalgic episodes but I really hope they try harder. I'm guessing the time period would be roughly 1985-2012 or something like that. The general rule seemed to be not within 10 years of time at the project.

The new series is going back much further than 1985. In the 3rd episode it is 1977 then the 5th episode is set in the Old West in the 1870s. Ben can leap beyond his lifetime because of the code he downloaded into Ziggy before he leaped. He is following Sam. If you watch the episodes you can see they are similar to leaps from the original. Janice said Ben came to her about helping. I think Sam could have leaped into Ben to write the code and get Janice to help and then leaped to get to the point Sam wanted them to get to. Something either went wrong or Ben has to follow certain points in time to get there. Should be interesting. I like the series so far.