Albert Calavicci

mstalanon

Project QL Intern
Apr 30, 2002
Independence, MO
Okay, I'll start one

In the original history, Al comes back from Vietnam a near-broken man, with one major thought that sustained him...

Beth.

Imagine the heartbreak of coming back to an empty home, and finding your only true love married to someone else. The military was his entire life, for he also had no surviving family members either. Just exactly how long did it take him to turn to the bottle? What about his immersion back into Military life? I had proposed in my short story "A Leap For Al" that the former POW had found a niche of a type, working for command and control. Even helping train the S.E.A.L.S....

From amidst this pain and a lost sense of direction, why else did he go kinda crazy with embracing all that life had to offer. It was either that, or die a slow death of a broken heart.

Sadly, we know that his other three marraiges still didn't give him what he really desired. Libedo is one thing, but True Love is another.

I'm really looking forward to helping document some of Al's pains... and a few of his triumphs. In particular, I can't get his "disco days" out of my head! LOL!

Your thoughts???

Matt

Sure...

You know Joy, I had mentioned before (about a year ago), that I was thinking very seriously about writing a novel about what happened to Al after "A Leap For Lisa"...

This would be even pre-Project: StarBright! Sooo, we could get to work on that right away.

Then there are the other members of Project: Quantum Leap! Dr. Verbeena Beeks (which I'm kinda touching on my ongoing story now), Gushie, Dr. Tina Martinez (now SHE's gotta be an interesting character!), Dr. Donna Eleese -Beckett, Sammi Jo Fuller (well, she doesn't exist yet, does she?? <<grin>>), any of the Marines stationed at the Project, hospital, custodial, secretarial, command and support staffs... ANYBODY that's associated. Senator Weisman... and what was the one that the female senator replaced on the oversight commitee?

Once you get thinking about it, you see a whole plethora of ideas!!

Matt

P.S. I thought Al had a total of four marraiges... but I do remember him thinking about his "fourth... no fifth wife"...

Ahhh Amor'e!! LOL!

Albert Calavicci --- SPOILERS FOR MY STORY IN PROGRESS

Nope, it was five. Here they are, not necessarily in order... hehehe

1. Beth
2. Unnamed Hungarian
3. Ruthie
4. Sharon
5. Maxine

Actually, I figured out a great idea for the story I'm developing for SP last night. We know from MIA that Al hadn't seen Beth since he left for his second tour in 'Nam. BUT... that doesn't mean that Beth never saw *him* after he got home. Also, we never found out whether Beth's marriage to Dirk actually lasted.

SPOILERS
FOR
MY
STORY
IN
PROGRESS

SOOOOO... here's my idea:

It is October 17, 1989. Al is boarding a large commercial jet in New Mexico. He has to meet up with someone (don't know who yet) in San Francisco. Well, it turns out that Beth, who was visiting family in New York, is changing planes in NM and ends up on the same flight as Al.

Al never sees Beth, but Beth sees Al. This brings back a flood of memories about her divorce with Dirk (who turned out to be an abuser), her discovery that Al had come home from Vietnam, and life from then to now (1989). These memories are triggered by different things throughout the story.

Both Al and Beth are driving (in separate cars, of course) on I-880 when the Loma Prieta earthquake hits. They are both trapped in the rubble with their travel buddies (perhaps Sam is with Al, and a girlfriend is with Beth?).

Lives flash before eyes, wounds are healed, yada yada yada. A crowd gathers as rescuers come to get them out. After all four are rescued, they're surrounded by the cheering crowds. All this time, Beth is trying to get a glimpse of Al. See, when she first sees him on the plane, she wants to say hello, but can't get up the nerve. But after talking with her friend while being trapped, she finally gets the courage to try to talk to Al.

But unfortunately, because of Sam's fame, he and Al are so surrounded that Beth can't get through to them. She calls out, and Sam hears and sees her, but Al doesn't.

Sam and Al are swept away to one hospital, while Beth and her friend are taken to another. Beth never sees Al again.

Back at the Project, Sam mulls over whether to tell Al that he saw Beth. He ultimately decides not to, not wanting to open a still healing wound...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

So... whatcha think?

Joy

Re: Albert Calavicci --- SPOILERS FOR MY STORY IN PROGRESS

Aoooooooooo!!! I LIKE that my friend!

ya got me droolin' for details and more!!

Re: Albert Calavicci --- SPOILERS FOR MY STORY IN PROGRESS

Joy

That sounds like a wonderful story!
Start writing, girl, cos we are already on the edge of our seats.