The Ackward Light Streak in Sam's Hair?

Sam Beckett Fan

Re-Writing Life
Jun 3, 2005
medium.com
ok, this wsa brought up mysteriously today when my best friend came over, upon a comment i made looking at a picture of Sam inside the Season one DVD cover. Kristen, my best friend, says that another friend of ours therorized that the light streak in Sam's hair acually had a meaning. that it got bigger as the series progressed and it meant something to do with like the stress of the traveling or something. we did not acually have a detailed conversation about it, so i really have no idea what i am saying except that is what she told me our other friend has theorized about it, and i was just wondering you experts here thought.

:\ *shrugs*

There was never an explanation in the series as to where the light streak came from. Now, in real life, it just happened to appear when Scott Bakula was four years old, with no apparent reason.

Ashley McConnell presented a theory in her QL novel "Prelude" that Sam's streak was due to head trauma; I looked it up once on Google, and it's been proven that head trauma or brain surgery could lead to white patches of hair.

That's all I know as far as that goes.

Joy

Well, Sam acknowledges this in "Mirror Image" when he sees his reflection for the first time in years. He's shocked and says, "I've got white hair!" This clearly implies that Sam never had white hair (or never remembered he had white hair) the last time he saw his reflection, or at least not that noticeable. Of course, in "The Leap Back," I highly doubt Sam never looked in the mirror while he was back in his own time, where he had the streak as well.

So then you could fall back to the swiss-cheese explanation, and say that he just didn't remember he had the streak. I think I agree that the Accelerator did it to him. A nuclear chamber, a quantum field, electricity, time-travel... it was enough to fry Sam's brain, so the stress of that probably created the streak. It just seems to fit, and a similar circumstance occurred with Rogue in X-Men, when a large force field created a white streak in her hair. I like Scott's white streak, though. I think it adds a unique look to him both as an actor and playing Sam.

I too like the theory that the Accelerator did it to Sam, but I did also put forward another theory in my story "High Hopes" (shameless plugging here) which is soon to be reposted in its entirety here at Al's place under the heading of "Original Fan Fiction by Our Members."
I posted it after my encounter with Dean Stockwell, since it was the story I presented him with, but the darned hacker went and wiped it all! :shoot
I'm reposting as fast as I can, it should all be up in a few days.
Please check it out and let me know what you think, guys.
It follows "Terror Firma" (posted on p2 of the same area) but I think it stands alone if you haven't read the first.

Coming soon....
the third installment in this set of five....
"Run for Their Lives"

You're all thinking too much into this.

Your hair turns white if you get really scared. And from what Sam's been through it's a wonder that his whole head isn't white as snow.

Actually.......any theories beyond it was in Scott Bakula's hair since the age of 4; therefore it was in Sam Beckett's hair since the age of 4....are thinking too much into it. :lol ;)

(rassin frassin spamblocker....had to type this all over again.....hums Jeopardy theme song......types more ellipses.....figures enough time has elapsed to click submit again)

don't look at me, a friend of my best friend and i thought up this wierd theory and i just wanted to see if anyone else had one. and yes this friend can think too much into things sometimes.:eek:

We're all just teasing, SBF. Leapers have a tendency to do just that....which is why Don Bellisario was famous for saying at conventions: Don't Investigate This Too Closely! <g>

oh, ok, sorry sometimes i have miscommunications with people concerning jokes, mostly the jokes are mine though and people often mistake me for being sarcastic. so it's all cool.;)

i wish i could have seen one of the conventions, that would have been so cool. i mean i was a little kid at the time, but who cares, that's what conventions are for, hehe.

oh, and by the way, just a little IMO, i never meant anything negitive with this convo about his hair, i acually find that patch to be part of what makes me find him kinda cute. hehe.:eek:

Actually.......any theories beyond it was in Scott Bakula's hair since the age of 4; therefore it was in Sam Beckett's hair since the age of 4....are thinking too much into it.

And we know this isn't the case because the young Sam in "Genesis" and the reflection in "The Leap Home" did not have the streak. :D

That's a very good point... never noticed that before, Chris. Hmmm...

And we know this isn't the case because the young Sam in "Genesis" and the reflection in "The Leap Home" did not have the streak.

He also had a ball cap on. ;) <g,d,r>

There is a scene on the DVD in "The Leap Home" where Sam looks in the mirror without his cap on, for anyone interested in taking a closer look. It has always been "syndi-cut" on the Sci-Fi version.

Yes, it is one of the scenes in the originally aired uncut version. It's just that the show has been in syndication for so many years that many of us only know the episodes by the "syndi-cut" Sci-Fi versions.

Well, you already have the season I'm talking about, and you only have to wait a few more months 'til Season 4. Like I said in the past, once you have all the seasons, you'll forget all the time you had to wait. And take it from somebody who had to wait for many things in life, many of which I'm still waiting for. You'll be fine. ;)