Writer's plea

leaper1

PQL Security Staff
Staff member
Sep 1, 2002
Bedford, England
Okay, I've tried and tried, but it is no good.
I can't continue my story (pre MI, last in the arc at fanfic.net) without some help from the clever folk here.
I've hit a road block.
It's really such a little thing, but I just can't come up with the goods.
Whoever gives me a really good idea will get credit in the writer's notes, and my undying gratitude.

Without giving away too many spoilers this is what I need - an unwinable bet!

The premise is that guy a) -hereafter kp is rich, and a gambler and a philanthropist
guy b) hereafter aj, is a regular widower guy with a daughter with M.E. (chronic fatigue) and they have just lost everything in a fire

kp wants to give aj enough money to take his daughter to a dolphin therapy centre - her dearest wish
but aj is too proud to accept 'charity'
so kp proposes a wager to let him accept the money and keep his dignity

needs to have him feel like he won it fairly, so it mustnt be too obvious
but needs to be a bet kp can propose that he is sure to lose.
Preferably one of those situation when even if it looks like he's won, that means he must have lost, if u follow.

There are lots of sure bets if you want to win - many a con is based on something that looks like pure chance but can be manipulated to ensure things go gambler's way
but setting out to lose is a lot harder

Any brainwaves folks?

I can get him to find another way to have aj accept the money - but I'd really like to go with the bet if I can find the right one.

Answers on a postcard to.... :p

Does this bet have to be a real bettable situation or can it be like that episode of Seinfeld where Kramer and the rich Texan start betting over which plane will be delayed next, etc.

Sorry, Jen, not seen Seinfeld so I'm not sure exactly how your example works.

Basically, it needs to be something fairly simple that is immediately quantifiable (is that the word I want?). So - bet placed, conditions met, pay up, done.

I know I'm asking a lot here - it's been going round and round in my head for days. Seems like it should be so easy, but it just isn't. :banghead

Any flashes of inspiration from anyone will be gratefully received, whether or not I eventually use them. Sometimes even an off the wall, no way it would work, idea can lead to the best solution just by setting the mind to why the first wouldn't do.

Found the script online; here's the pertinent "bet" situation/dialogue:
excerpts of Episode: THE DIPLOMAT CLUB

% Airport, Kramer and a man sitting

Kramer: Hey, how you doin'?

Earl: Pretty good.

Kramer: Name's Kramer.

Earl: Earl Hafler, nice to meet you. I'm headed to Houston, where you headed?

Kramer: Oh I'm happy right here. Isn't this place amazing? Planes flying in from all corners of the world, and they know the minute they're arriving.

Earl: Ah they don't know a darn thing. That's why my flight the Houston's been delayed. They're all morons. Matter of fact, I'll bet you that that flight to Pittsburgh takes off before my flight to Houston.

Kramer: Bet? Um, not betting.

Earl: Friendly wager.

Kramer: I haven't made a bet in three years, I-

Earl: Ah c'mon. Keep things interesting, pass the time.

Kramer: Okay, how much?

Earl: How 'bout 200?

Kramer: You're on, cowboy!

*~*~*~*

% At the airport...

Intercom: Now arriving at gate 12...

Earl: This could be Mexico City.

Kramer: C'mon Seattle, let's go.

Earl: Come on, Mexico City!

Kramer: Seattle, yeah!

Intercom: ...flight 42 from Mexico City.

Kramer: All right, c'mon, let's go again.

*~*~*~*~*~
% Airport...

Earl: Well, Mr. Kramer, looks like you're in the hole $3200... Will that be cash or check?

Kramer: All right, look, one more bet. Double or nothing. C'mon.

Earl: All right, but I wanna see some cash on the table.

Kramer: All right, let me call my bank. You stay here. (He calls)

N: Hello?

Kramer: Yeah, it's, uh, me.

N: Hey, what's up?

Kramer: All right, listen. I need some cash.

N: What for?

Kramer: I just need it, that's all.

N: Oh no. Don't tell me. You're gambling again, aren't you? Oh you weak, weak man. Where are you?

Kramer: I'm at the airport.

N: The airport?

Kramer: We've been betting on arrivals and departures. (Newman rolls eyes) But I'm down $3200 , so you've gotta get me some cash.

N: I don't have that kinda dough.

Kramer: Sure you do.

N: Oh no, no, not the bag!

Kramer: Oh help me man, I'm desperate!

N: All right, all right.

*~*~*~~*~*
% Newman arrives at the airport with a bag

N: Kramer.

Kramer: Hey.

N: Okay, here it is.

Kramer: Good. (To Earl) Here's my collateral.

Earl: So it's a mailbag, so what?

N: So what? Do you know whose mailbag that is?

Earl: (Reading) David Berkowitz.

N: Son of Sam. The worst mass murderer the post office ever produced.

Earl: Where did you get this?

N: I took over his route. And boy, were there a lot of dogs on that route.

Earl: Any of 'em talk to you?

N: Just to tell me to keep off the snacks!

Earl: (To Kramer) Your buddy's a helluva guy.

Kramer: Yeah, don't I know it.

Earl: Okay, Cosmo, we're back in business. Let's check out the board. Now, who do you like?

Kramer: All right, how 'bout Ithaca vs. Boston?

Earl: All right, I'll give you a sportin' chance. I'll take Ithaca.

Kramer: Double or nothin'.

Earl: Double or nothin'.

N: I hope you know what you're doing... (Kramer gives Newman a look of lack of confidence)

*~*~*~*~*~
% Airport, Kramer is smoking a cigar

Earl: Well, that Newman was your good luck charm.

Kramer: Yeah, he was.

Earl: I should have quitted at double or nothin'. Travelers checks acceptable?

Kramer: Oh I accept.

N: (Talking to another man) ...yeah he worked in the cubicle right next to me. We once double dated.

Kramer: Yeah, it's a pleasure doin' business with a gentleman like yourself. (Elaine enters)

Elaine: Kramer.

Kramer: Oh hi Elaine. What are you doing here?

Elaine: Jerry asked me to meet his girlfriend here. Did you here about his plane in Ithaca?

Earl: What about the plane in Ithaca?

Elaine: Oh, our stupid friend freaked out the pilot. Single handedly delayed the plane a whole hour. Can you believe that?

Kramer: Boy...

Earl: Your friend caused the delay?

Elaine: Uh huh.

Earl: You're a cheat! Nobody hustles Earl Hafler.

Kramer: C'mon!

Earl: See you around, Cosmo.

Kramer: What?

*~*~*~*~*~*~
http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheDiplomatClub.htm

How about a sporting Venue. What year is it supposed to take place in? You could look up some significant sportine events from that year, have Al look up the results and then just bet the loser.

Or you could use the weather. He could bet that it would rain (or not), and it wouldn't rain (or would).

I also like the idea of the sporting event.

Al's Handlink said:
How about a sporting Venue. What year is it supposed to take place in? You could look up some significant sportine events from that year, have Al look up the results and then just bet the loser.

Sorry, I haven't given enough details. It takes place in 2003, but it is 2003 for Al too! Sam has leaped into the present - in fact since Sam is in Australia, (in a totally different time zone) on the clock he is about 11 hours ahead of Al!
So there is no possibility of 'fixing' a bet in that way. Besides, Sam is not kp, he is the daughter.

This probably won't help, but me and my friends are always betting each other over silly stuff like "I bet I can touch every single table top in this restaurant faster than you" or I bet I can stuff more marshmallow Peeps in my mouth than you".

Sherlock's Sparrow said:
This probably won't help, but me and my friends are always betting each other over silly stuff like "I bet I can touch every single table top in this restaurant faster than you" or I bet I can stuff more marshmallow Peeps in my mouth than you".

That sort of thing would only work if there was something kp knew for sure that aj could do and he couldn't.

Thanks for all the ideas folks, I think I have worked a way around it now.
Chapter 17, here I come.

Now all I need to know is how far a Lear Jet can fly before it has to refuel!

Sherdran said:
Helen, I just did a quick search and found this link to a website called JetSet Aviation that has the information you're looking for. Here's the link:
http://www.jetsetav.com/index.html

Eleiece

Thanks E!

After I posted that, I did a quick search myself and came up with some useful info, but this site is even better. Especially as it has email contact, so I may be able to get my exact queries answered as to the practicalities of what I am trying to achieve.

You guys rock, thanks again!

Done at last!

Okay folks, for any of you who are interested, this story, "M.E. myself and Sam" is now written. I am waiting on beta proof reading, but as that comes in I am posting it at

http://www.fanfiction.net/secure/live_preview.php?storyid=3750936&chapter=1

So far the prologue and first couple of chapters are up.

This is the fifth and last story in my five story arc, which started with "Terror Firma" about 13 years ago!

All five stories can be found at www.fanfiction.net under my pen name of Madders Ahatter.