I met Scott Bakula last week

ChickenStu

Project QL Intern
Nov 8, 2005
He was at London Comic Con 2009. I'm sorry to say that he came across as kind of a jerk. His autograph was stupidly expensive (but like an idiot I still paid to get it) and he was charging more than anyone else there.
He was also refusing to have his photo taken with fans.

I still took a cheeky photo anyway though, lol.

When I met him, told him I was a huge fan of the show he was just like "yeah yeah, that's great" and I was kind of waved along so he could meet this next person in the queue. Made me feel kind of worthless actually.

So guys, there you go. That's what your hero is like in real life.

Attachments

• P7190006.jpg
    P7190006.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 73
He was at London Comic Con 2009. I'm sorry to say that he came across as kind of a jerk. His autograph was stupidly expensive (but like an idiot I still paid to get it) and he was charging more than anyone else there.

When I met him, told him I was a huge fan of the show he was just like "yeah yeah, that's great" and I was kind of waved along so he could meet this next person in the queue. Made me feel kind of worthless actually.

I'm sorry you had a negative experience. I was at the same event and it was a totally different story for me.
Were you on a high ticket and therefore late in the day?
As time goes on, the stars are more pressured to get through the remaining signings. They are TOLD to stop personalizing autographs and not to stop for photos or handshakes etc.
Look at it from their point of view, sitting for hours on end signing photo after photo - it is a wonder they don't get RSI.

I was lucky enough to be there early [even though it meant being up at 5am and waiting outside for an hour and a half!] At the start, he was relaxed and friendly and very generous.

At least he showed up.

It's a good idea not to get too invested in any celebrity. They're not heroes, they're just people.

That's very odd actually. But yes, go sign your name a few hundred times in one sitting and see how you feel lol.

Scott does not determine his own fee - it's set by the event organizer and approved by his agent in most cases from my understanding. He was nice enough to waive the fee for Quantum Leap fans in L.A. last March.

He also does not make the decision to have photos taken. That's up to the organizer and his agent.

He's really a nice guy - everyone has their limits though.

I'm not sure that's a fair assumption to make about anyone, let alone Scott. What you've described is a far cry from the man I've met on more than one occassion.

As others have said, he was not in control of all variablee at the LFCC and can not be held respondible for things such as price, photos, etc.

Also, as has been pointed out, how would you feel sitting there for however long he was, signing your name constantly, and probably being told the same thing over and over. I think you'd have to be a robot to not let it get to you at some point. So, I guess what you can really say is that he's human.

Last edited:
I agree with Julia, that it is not easy to sit there for ours and sign autographs your hands hurt from signing and you are a human being. Not a machine. But I will say this that man is not a jerk because in my book he was kind to me at the Quantum leap convention in March.
To me after a not so pleasant experience meeting Michael Bolton in A NY Record store and not being able to say any compliment at all I will take meeting Scott over him any day.

The problem is that people are always thinking that the celebrities owe them everything, somehow, and that's not the way it is. I'm sorry to break this to you, but they also get tired and moody sometimes (like we all do). In fact, considering all the work they have (not only actors, but also producers, writers, directors, etc.), I have to say that it's impressive that they still have the energy to take pictures with fans, smile, sign autographs, let alone show up at conventions and everything. If it were me, I know I couldn't handle it. I'd send it all to hell. That's why I never think of a celebrity as a hero. They're not superior beings, you know.

When I heard that Scott was going to the LFCC, I was abit nervous. Those events are like grabbing your money and making a run for it. I was hoping it wasn't going to be too much for a sweet soul like him. But I did notice that he was busy most of the day I was there. But he was sweet to my twin sister and I.

I actually thought he was more relaxed at Leap Back. He was so funny and sweet.

Actually, when Dean was at Collectormania MK in 2005, he looked totally shattered. When he wasn't in that shopping center he was so relaxed (I know this as I bumped into him a couple of times while I was out and about) he even asked me to join him for lunch. We all have our off moments.

Definitely not the experience I had with him at Leap Back. I was one of the later folks in the autograph line, so he had to be tired by that point, yet he was polite, engaging and inquisitive. He happily signed my manuscript from the short-story contest, asked about it, posed for the picture and even encouraged me to 'get that script produced.'

sorry you had a 'bad meet' - but i met him on the saturday and i found him to be very gracious and polite.

he couldn't have pictures taken with fans at the table as there were too many people that wanted to meet him. so in order to meet everybody the 'no posed photo' rule came into force.

he doesn't set the autograph price's. the convention does. he just gets paid a flat fee.

in las vegas last year at the star trek convention his autograph was £75.

looking at various pictures from the sunday he does look very tired compared to the saturday

sorry but he isn't a 'jerk' as you say - i can tell you a few stories about some real jerks i have met!

Last edited:
When I heard that Scott was going to the LFCC, I was abit nervous. Those events are like grabbing your money and making a run for it. I was hoping it wasn't going to be too much for a sweet soul like him. But I did notice that he was busy most of the day I was there. But he was sweet to my twin sister and I.

I actually thought he was more relaxed at Leap Back. He was so funny and sweet.

Actually, when Dean was at Collectormania MK in 2005, he looked totally shattered. When he wasn't in that shopping center he was so relaxed (I know this as I bumped into him a couple of times while I was out and about) he even asked me to join him for lunch. We all have our off moments.

wow - you have met dean stockwell - kool!

I was at both the LeapBack and LFCC and I can tell you that I was disappointed with my autograph and photo meet at LFCC. I was really unhappy with my Sunday "professional" photo, paid the 25 pounds and got the worse photo thank goodness the Saturday photo was a decent one. During the talk was a different story as he did sing Happy Birthday to me, but I am so grateful for the LeapBack con that I have better memories from the autograph meet.

I'm just glad there were other celebs to meet at LFCC, I had a great chat with Dominic Keating and got a kiss from Peter Fracinelli during the Twilight talk. It was these guys that made the LFCC worth the trip from Australia. I wouldn't say Scott was a jerk, I would say it was the conditions enforced on him and the volunteers around him that made him come across as a jerk.

That is what made LeapBack such a wonderful event. It was not only fan organized, but it gave due respect to the actors involved. Hopefully the actors felt comfortable and less pressure than in a typical convention. Also, the fan-to-actor ratio was amazing. Everyone hopefully got to talk in person with at least someone from the show. I know I got to talk to Richard Herd a bit which was a real treat.

I was at both the LeapBack and LFCC and I can tell you that I was disappointed with my autograph and photo meet at LFCC. I was really unhappy with my Sunday "professional" photo, paid the 25 pounds and got the worse photo thank goodness the Saturday photo was a decent one. During the talk was a different story as he did sing Happy Birthday to me, but I am so grateful for the LeapBack con that I have better memories from the autograph meet.

I'm just glad there were other celebs to meet at LFCC, I had a great chat with Dominic Keating and got a kiss from Peter Fracinelli during the Twilight talk. It was these guys that made the LFCC worth the trip from Australia. I wouldn't say Scott was a jerk, I would say it was the conditions enforced on him and the volunteers around him that made him come across as a jerk.

wow - you were the australian laydee who got happy birthday sung to her! kool!

i have been to these autograph conventions before - so i knew that it would a very rushed meet as he would be so popular as he has never done a the UK convention before.

they are told how many they have to sign. if they don't sign as many as should do can moaned at. as the organisation needs to make a certain amount of money.

i was surprised that up until 4:45pm on the first day - he was still doing dedications. i thought that showmasters would have told him to just sign his name and no messages.

so when it was my turn around 4:30pm i expected it to be a few seconds and i would be happy with that.

BUT i was really surprised - that i had a 'mini' chat with him when he signed all my three things. maybe as i wasn't expecting much - i felt that i got a lot out him, much more than i was expecting to. so i came away very happy. :D

mission accomplished. :hurray::hurray:

Last edited:
During the talk was a different story as he did sing Happy Birthday to me, .

I was the one in front of you and i tapesd it. I gave you my email address but I gathered maybe you received it from someone else, if not let me know and I can still email you the footage

I was at LFCC on Saturday too, I thought he was very friendly :) Although I did see him pretty early on, so I guess it makes a difference.
I was in that talk too - lucky you having him sing to you! He sang very well :)

I was the one in front of you and i tapesd it. I gave you my email address but I gathered maybe you received it from someone else, if not let me know and I can still email you the footage

I did get a copy from my friend, she managed to taped the whole song successfully. Thanks again for the offer, it was good to know I had a backup in case my friends camera didn't get it.

oh ! poor guy ! i hope your' not so disapointed ! i suppose you know this is not his job but he's obliged to do this for business ( i think ) ! he prefer certainly make his real job : playing caracters on movies !!
this job whit autographs and picts whit fans is certainly restricting for him !! he like certainly do it for us but imagine this all the day, during 8 or 10 hours a day !!

i dont know how much of us could be do it sincerely whit pleasure after hours whith pressure, much noise, much crush !!! poor guy ! poor actor !
lucky or not ????

Is it realy the job we love him in ??

You know, I have to take back what I said about Mr Bakula. I've seen a few things with him on YouTube where he's unaware he's being filmed and he comes across as pretty cool.

Maybe I just caught the dude at a bad time.

You know, I have to take back what I said about Mr Bakula. I've seen a few things with him on YouTube where he's unaware he's being filmed and he comes across as pretty cool.

I'm sure you probably did. Everyone has off days (some, like myself, have them more often than I'd care to admit). I, too, have heard nothing but great things about Scott. I'd love to get the opportunity to meet him someday. :)

Now that's cool, glad you changed your mind, I have met Scott several times now and I never saw him in a bad mood but he does want to tend to all his fans and if you get to exchange a few words with him and get a couple back than that's just great, but I know I am not the only fan and there always is a long line behind me so I tend to keep it short but sweet too just so Scott will indeed be able to attend to all the fans. Since he always takes care of the very last fan and never leaves untill that last auto is signed i really wouldnt want him to be the one to turn out the lights and lock the place up before he could finally go back to his hotel :lol