Controlling Of Sams Leaps

angvee

Project QL Intern
Aug 7, 2011
Australia
www.turboimagehost.com
In Mirror Image Sam was wandering whether Al the Bartender was controlling his leaps.

What do people think in regards to whom was controlling Sams leaps and why?

Does anyone think that Sams leaps were controlled at all and why?

Take into consideration that my memory is not very good and that the only time I remember the controlling of Sams leaps being mentioned was in Mirror Image. If anyone would like to correct me please do so.

I'd be interested to see what peoples thoughts are in regards to sams leaps being controlled.

:)

I think when he leaps now, he has a choice. He can leap "into the wild blue yonder" and let fate decide his next assignment. OR, he can purposefully leap anywhere he wants. Targeted leaps may require his own body, I'm not sure. How much free will are we talking here? If he could leap into anyone, into their body, changing whatever he wants, that would be ultimate power.

I think the reason why it took 5 years of leaps before the truth was revealed to Sam is because if you just gave someone the power to leap and told them right off the bat they could go anywhere, you'd have armies of evil leapers doing whatever they want for selfish or criminal reasons. So it starts out as a twist of fate and luck and then if you stick through it and prove yourself, the truth gets revealed?

There's a lot of philosophy that could have been explored in the unproduced 6th season. I know most people like the individual stories, but I am really into anthology shows that have an overarching backstory. And I'm not alone. Look at X-Files, Fringe, and heck Lost. People really want a show framed by mysteries and interest.

You have a very interesting response feldon30 :)

Interesting you bring up anthology shows because I to enjoy them. Alfred Hitchcock presents, twilight zone, outer limits, tales from the darkside and the list goes on.

What I find interesting is a word you bring up. Mysteries. That is exactly why I love anthology shows. Because you never get an answer. What, who, when, why?

Thats why I like the time travel premise of Quantum Leap. Because with the time travel premise there will be questions that there are no answers for. And to some people perhaps, well with me especially, it does make it interesting to watch because the mind starts to wander.....

What I find interesting is a word you bring up. Mysteries. That is exactly why I love anthology shows. Because you never get an answer. What, who, when, why?p
Especially if the name of your show is Lost. ;)

Thats why I like the time travel premise of Quantum Leap. Because with the time travel premise there will be questions that there are no answers for. And to some people perhaps, well with me especially, it does make it interesting to watch because the mind starts to wander.....
The irony is, Quantum Leap was not a Sci-Fi show at its core. That's one part of the show that attracted me, but it was mostly in the background. I've always wondered if they would try to stick to story-of-the-week in Season 6, or bring in overarching storylines.

Overarching storylines in Quantum Leap:

* Al's failed marraiges / Beth / M.I.A.
* Evil Leapers
* Sam's marital status
* Sam's paternal status

Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
The first is resolved. And if you take the complete screenplay for Mirror Image as canonical, then Al still has as big a part to play in the project.

The second was partially resolved -- Alia is free, but surely the the Lothos project did not conclude with Zoey's apparent death.

The other 2 are a bit contentious.

I'm sure there's more. I must confess to not having read much of the followup Fan Fiction.

I've always wondered if they would try to stick to story-of-the-week in Season 6, or bring in overarching storylines.

I'd say it would be a mix of both, as it always was. I'm kind of glad Season 6 never happened in a way, because from what I heard about the unproduced original ending to "Mirror Image," it sounded like the stories might have taken place in the future. I loved the Evil Leaper additons and celebrity leaps in Season 5, but mystical "ghost" leapers and God-like bartenders kind of went a little too far for me.

As I hate "Mirror Image" for basically contradicting the rest of the series and more or less making up its own rules, I certainly wouldn't want to see an entire season doing that.

I think the leaps were definitely controlled. My evidence for this, aside from the obvious that something had to be fixed (ie, what are the odds that random chance would dump him in such a situation each time), when you look at episodes like Honeymoon Express, there was very obviously a plan that nobody foresaw.

In Mirror Image Sam was wandering whether Al the Bartender was controlling his leaps.

What do people think in regards to whom was controlling Sams leaps and why?

Does anyone think that Sams leaps were controlled at all and why?

Take into consideration that my memory is not very good and that the only time I remember the controlling of Sams leaps being mentioned was in Mirror Image. If anyone would like to correct me please do so.

I'd be interested to see what peoples thoughts are in regards to sams leaps being controlled.

:)

I think the leaps were definitely controlled. My evidence for this, aside from the obvious that something had to be fixed (ie, what are the odds that random chance would dump him in such a situation each time), when you look at episodes like Honeymoon Express, there was very obviously a plan that nobody foresaw.

I'd like to see a combination of both in this new reboot, although not premised as a sc-fi show week on week it had sc-fi at other core with the concept of time travellers and the tech surrounding it. I'm hoping with the reboot they stick to the individual storyline of putting right what went wrong in people's lives but introduce more behind the scene glimpse of project QL i.e Killin Time, Honeymoon express etc