Round Robin Story B

Thanks for continuing to do that. It really makes it easier when I got through at the end and turn this story into a word document to post at the end, along with differentiating story postings from conversation.

You've earned a place in the acknowledgment section at the end of the story Leaper1! (Plus, you taught me that embolden was a word, so that alone deserves credit 8o :roflmao:)

yes, unlike 'enbiggen' wasn't it? in Simpsons, embolden is a recognized word - at least in British English!
My pleasure to edit the posts. I'm not sure why the bold feature doesn't work for Jaycol, but its a simple fix.

yes, unlike 'enbiggen' wasn't it? in Simpsons, embolden is a recognized word - at least in British English!
My pleasure to edit the posts. I'm not sure why the bold feature doesn't work for Jaycol, but its a simple fix.

The reason it doesnt work is because I have limited access at home so at work I am able to get on more, but because I am logging in from work, I have to use a proxy to bypass the firewall and that causes little things like "enbolden"(hey I like the sound of that)and simple grammatical things like paragraphs to not work right. Thank you though for continuing to edit it leaper1

"It's about time!" Sam shouted. "I'm sorry, I mean, what did they say?"

"You need to find a way to purge the anger," Al said. "You know of the different ways to do it so give it a go!"

"That's your plan?" Sam asked, his eyebrows crawling up his forehead.

"What? You thought I'd have some magic pill to make your anger go away? Put the anger to use, use it for good."

"Focus and direct my anger? Al, have you lost your mind?" Sam asked, raising his voice.

"Hey!" Al said, looking hurt. " I didn't say direct my anger towards me."

Sam breathed deeply, and closed his eyes. He had to figure out the problem, and get out of here. He didn't mean to snap at his good friend, the one who's stood by him through all these turmoils.

"I'm sorry, Al," Sam said, lowering his voice. "I just need to know what I have to do, and then get out of here. I need to go home. Jerry's home."

Al tilted his cigar towards the table where Betty was. "And leave her without lunch. Come on Sam, I think a nice lunch'll cheer you up."

"Maybe you're right. But I'm supposed to talk about Jerry's life after he left the city. How would I know Jerry's life."

"I'll stay in on the conversation. If she wants to know something important, then I'll tell you about it," Al said as he whipped out his handlink. "If it's something small, you can fill in the gaps."

Sam nodded, his eyes thanking his old friend. He then walked out of the bathroom, and returned to his table with Betty. Al was standing besides the table.

"What took so long, Jerry?" Betty asked. "I hope you don't mind, but I ordered your favorite."

"Really?" Sam asked. "I can't believe you remembered."

"How could I forget. You used to order the club sandwich every time we came here? I even asked them to put macaroni salad on the side."

Sam smiled to himself. Maybe Al was right. Maybe he did need to sit down over a nice lunch to rejuvenate him, which might give him an edge over his anger. What Sam didn't notice, though, was Hank nearing the little diner.

"Thank you for ordering for me," Sam said with a semi-forced smile. He decided to get the subject on his companion as quickly as possible so Al could get any necessary information. "How have you been while I've been away?"

Al was so busy tapping away at buttons he failed to notice Hank edging towards them.

"There you are, Rogers!" Hank yelled to Sam, startling the both of them. "Thought you'd run away before I could catch up to you?"

Sam began to stand up, but Al put a rather a transparent hand on his shoulder. "Sam, remember. Direct your anger, don't hurt him."

Sam nodded, which Hank assumed was an answer. "Well, then its a good thing I caught up to you, isn't it?"

Sam glared at Hank, although he could see two burly men behind Hank. Obviously, this man didn't fight fair. "Would you like to step outside?" Sam asked.

"It would be my pleasure," Hank responded.

"Jerry, don't do this!" Betty said.

"Yeah, Sam. She's right!" Al agreed.

"I have a plan," Sam mumbled to Al, before turning to Betty. "I'll be back in a minute."

"Jerry!" Betty called, but by this time, the four men and one hologram were going outside.

Sam did his best to remain standing in a neutral stance. If he could he would avoid settling this dispute with violence. That and he didn't know if he alone would be able to take on three grown men.

"You wanted to have a word with me?" Sam innocently said.

"Yeah, I did!" Hank snapped.

"Stall, Sam!" Al urged.

"Are they necessary?" Sam asked while gesturing to the two burly men with Hank. "If we are going to settle this shouldn't it be between the two of us?"

"They're just here in case you decide to sucker punch me again," Hank said, a smug look on his face.

"If I recall, you started it," Sam said.

"Listen, bigshot lawyer. Betty's my girl, and I'll thank you not to talk to her."

Sam was getting angry now. Not only because of how he was treating Sam, but because he thought he had some control over Betty. Sam had a feeling Hank was bad news for Betty, and they would probably be involved in leaping out.

"Listen, Hank. I don't see a sign on her that says you own her," Sam said.

"Maybe I'll make her wear one, then," Hank said, and the two men behind him started laughing.

"You nozzle!" Al said to Hank.

"Listen, just leave me alone, and leave Betty alone, okay?" Sam said.

Hank took an intimidating step towards Sam. "What are you going to do about it?"

Sam had enough of this Hank. He felt the anger inside of him, but this time, instead of fighting it, he absorbed it into his being. Just like Al said, he was going to use this anger to resolve the situation. Sam was mad, but he was still in control of himself. That was all he needed.

"Just leave Betty alone," Sam said again.

"Make me!" Hank said, before he pushed Sam, causing him to fall back. However, Sam stabilized himself, and ducked in time to avoid another punch towards the face. As another fist swung at him, Sam grabbed his wrist, and hurled him to the ground. He then looked at the other two men who started coming towards him.

Al, however, could see in Sam's eyes that he was just inches away from snapping. If Jerry's anger took over, and combined with Sam's martial arts fighting abilities, things could get very ugly.

"Saaam," Al began. "Sam, solve this fight quickly!"

Sam wasn't listening as he was busy kicking one of the goons in the stomach.

Al had never seen that look in Sam's eyes before. The look told him Sam certainly wasn't enjoying what he had to do but he did plan on ending it once and for all.

One of the goon's fists hit Sam's stomach, and he stumbled. However, as the goon came closer, Sam kicked him the in the stomach, and turned to Hank, who was starting to stand up. Both of his companions were on the ground, groaning.

Sam bent down, and held Hank's hair with his hand. "Don't bother me, or Betty again, understand?" Sam said.

Hank nodded as best as he could, considering he was being held.

Sorry for making Sam seem so violent.

Sam only fights for defense and when he needs to.

Sam jerked roughly as he released Hank. He watched as Hank fell to the ground and stepped over him. Sam didn't feel any other harsh words needed to be exchanged.

"That was amazing, Sam!" Al said more in astonishment than actual praise.

"I only did what I had to do," Sam replied.

Sam only fights for defense and when he needs to.

That is true. I'm not fully awake yet, so I'll try to reply to this later. However, if anyone else wants to contribute, don't hesitate. This is open to everyone, and I love reading what everyone has to add.

Walking back to the diner Sam still felt ashamed at how he handled the whole confrontation with Hank and his boys, even if he was able to hold himself in check. Betty was looking at him with concern etched on her face. "Are you all right?" She asked.
Sam couldn't look into her eyes he was too ashamed to. "I'm fine. Lets get out of here. My mom is cooking dinner and would kill me if she knew I ruined my appetite at the diner, I am sure she could make room for you." He said trying to put a lighter tone on things. He reached into his back pocket for his wallet and opened it up. He was shocked to see what was in the wallet. Inside there was way more money than a junior lawyer at a firm would make and a folded up piece of paper. His curiosity got the better of him and he unfolded the paper and froze. "Sam, I don't like that look. What is wrong?" Al asked worry thick in his voice.
"I think it is the deed to the farm." Sam said, feeling like a brand new set of weights was dropped on his shoulders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sam briefly closed his eyes and then opened them again. The weight on his shoulders increased as he shoved the deed back into "his" wallet before Betty could see.

"Are you sure, Jerry?" Betty asked. "I don't want to impose..."

Forcing a warm smile on his face Sam shook his head, "Mom would love to see you again. She's always been quite fond of you and we can all catch up on what's happened."

The two of them walked back to the farm, with help from Al as to the directions. When they got there, Jerry's mother was waiting by the door, a look of both love and sternness that only a mother could give.

"Jerry Fitzgerald Rogers, do you have any idea what time it is. I told you that supper would be ready by five," she said.

Sam realized that it was later than he thought it was. Apparantly, fighting, both with Hank and his own sanity, made him lose track of time. "Sorry mom," Sam replied.

"Hello Betty," Veronica said, motioning to Betty. "Come on in, there's always room for one more."

"I would love to," Betty said, and the two of them walked toward the house. That just left Sam to think why he had the deed to the farm, and why he had so much money. Jerry wasn't planning on betraying his family, was he? This might be something that Al would have to ask the real Jerry back in the waiting room. He had to find, yet again, another place to be alone to ask Al.

"Come on now Jerry, Don't dawdle you have all ready kept your grandpa waiting long enough" Veronica said.
"I'll be right in Ma" Sam said. " I just have to use the bathroom real quick."
"Well be quick with it then." Veronica stated in her most motherly manner.
Sam looked at Al and motioned for him to follow him with his head.
"Oh come on Sam, you know I hate going to the head all the time." Sam shot a glance at Al with a fire in his eyes and Al decided he should just go along with it. Up in the Bathroom Sam said "Al go talk to Jerry in the waiting room and find out what he was doing with a hefty bit of money in his wallet along with the deed to the farm, Also have Ziggy run a check on anyone who wants to buy the farm or sell it for that matter."
"All right Sam. Are you going to be all right, you know with the anger issues and all." Al asked obviously concerned.
"Yeah I think I will be all right. I mean it is just dinner with the family. What could go wrong?" Sam said with a genuine smile. His first one since this leap began. He had snapped at Al so many times during this leap and he was still concerned about his friend's well being. 'Someday I am going to make it up to him. All these years and leaps and he is still by my side. Someday Al, I promise.' Sam thought to himself as he headed down to the dining room with the sound of the imaging chamber door whooshing shut behind him.

Sam entered the room with his smile still on his face. He pulled up a chair and asked, "What are we having?"

"Your grandfather's favorite," Veronica said.

"Oooh, sounds good."

Verconia led Sam and Betty to the table, where Buck was already sitting down. Sam and Betty took their places at the table, while Veronica went to the kitchen to get the dish. Whatever it was, Sam knew that it smelled quite good.

"So, how have you been?" Buck asked Betty. "Haven't seen you around town much, since Gerry left."

"I've been doing quite well, Mr. Rogers," Betty said.

At this, Al popped in. "Buck Rogers, Mr. Rogers. This guy is full of cultural references," Al chuckled.

"I don't think Mr. Rogers has come yet," Sam whispered, before realized that he said that to thin air. Chalking that mistake up to Gerry's personality merging, he looked back to the others. "I mean, I don't think Mr. Rogers, my grandfather, has came to town often."

Betty looked at Gerry with a funny look in her eys, but Buck just laughed. "You're so used to all that formal lawyer stuff that you're calling your own grandpa Mr. Rogers?"

Sam felt the color creep into his cheeks, "I'm sorry, I'm so used to being so formal I have to remember I don't need to be that way here."

"So you refer to your own grandfather as 'Mister Rodgers' when you're a fancy lawyer?" Betty asked.

"Well, yeah..." Sam paused long enough to put on a sympathetic face, "It's a lawyer thing."

Inwardly he heard the words "You wouldn't understand" but managed to keep them to himself.

Sam wanted to find a way that he could talk to Al. Perhaps if he knew why he had that deed, and the money, he could guide the dinner conversation to better suit his leap. Of course, he had already gone to the bathroom twice, and was beginning to get tired of them. Just as he was about to make up some excuse to leave the table, Veronica came in with a huge turkey.

"Dinner's ready," Veronica said. As she set the table, the door opened, and a strong looking man walked in. He looked as though he had been working on the farm all day.

"Justin, why don't you get cleaned up for dinner," Veronica said. "We can all wait a minute for you to come down."

"Yes, mama." Justin said, and headed towards the bathroom. This was what Sam needed. It would take Justin a minute to clean up, and Sam could step outside with Al for a moment, come back in, and then eat that delicoius looking turkey. Things were beginning to look up.

"Uh, will you excuse me for a minute. I need to get some fresh air."

"Are you absolutely sure that you're alright?" Betty asked. "You've been acting funny all day."

Sam looked at Betty, and smiled. "I think I'm just not used to being on vacation. In the city, it's just work, work, and more work. I guess I'm having trouble relaxing, and need a minute outside to absorb it."

The answer satisfied the members of the table. "Alright, dear," Veronica said. "I don't understand big city life, but go ahead. I'll shout for you when Justin's ready."

"Thanks, Mrs. Rogers," Sam said, winking at Buck. He laughed, as Veronica looked quite confused.

If you need to remember who Justin is, refer back to the last post on the first page by Jaycol. I just thought I would mention that because he hasn't been used in a long time.

Sam stepped out of the house to the outdoors as quickly as his legs would allow.

"Oooh, that turkey looks delicious," Al commented. "Of all the times I have to be a hologram."

"Al," Sam said. "Al, what's going on?"

"Uh, Sam. I talked to Jerry, and the reason that you have the deed is not a good one."

Sam braced himself for what Al was about to say. In the back of his mind, he knew why he had the deed, but it was still a shock when Al verbally confirmed his suspicion.

"Why do I have the deed?" Sam asked.

"Apparantly you and Bill have some type of deal in getting the farm for yourselves. The problem is, Jerry wouldn't tell us why. There must be something vaulable that those two know about this farm that nobody else knows, if they end up being so successful with it."

"If they're working together, then why am I... Jerry, found dead."

"We don't know that yet, and obviously, Jerry wouldn't know that either. I guess you two must have had a falling out, or something like that. I think the best thing for you to do is find Bill."

"Alright Jerry, everything's ready!" Sam heard Veronica yell.

"Well, after dinner, I mean," Al amended.

"I'll be right there!" Sam called out over his shoulder.

Sam turned back to his friend, "Al, let me know as soon as you find this Bill whoever."

"I'm on it, Sam!" Al promised with a little salute.

Putting a forced smile on his face Sam headed back to the house for dinner. He quietly shut the door behind him and grinned more, "That smells so good!"

Despite his forced smile, Sam was still troubled by the possibility that Jerry would betray his family. He just couldn't understand it. Jerry's family were nice people, Sam was enjoying being with them. Buck reminded him of his father while it was obvious that Jerry and his brother had a really good relationship. No, despite his temper Sam was sure Jerry wouldn't betray his family. There had to be a reason Jerry had the deed to the farm. Sam knew it wasn't because of the deal that Al had mentioned, but what was it? He had to find out about this bill guy in order to leap out of here.

"So, Mom. How is Bill doing?" Sam asked.

Veronica sighed upon hearing his name. "I don't know what gotten into that boy lately. He seems so... so... what's the word you used, Buck?"

"Withdrawn?" Buck offered.

"Yes, that's it. He seems pretty withdrawn lately."

Sam frowned, It would figure that Bill would become withdrawn during a leap. "Well, I guess I should say hello to him," Sam said, before chewing on a piece of the turkey. It was juicy and delicious. It almost made the leap worthwhile, eating this wonderful, homecooked dinner.

"Well, Bill always was a loner," Betty said. "At least from what Jerry told me."

"Yeah, I don't know what to do wtih the boy. He works real hard, and I don't know if we would have this farm if he didn't put so much work into it. But everytime I talk to him, I get this bad feeling. I don't know, I can't explain it."

Sam really wished that they would now stop talking about Bill so that he could enjoy this meal. He almost said something snappy to that effect, but caught himself as the words crawled up this throat. He took another bite of the turkey.

Sam remained tense as he ate some more dinner. He didn't like the direction the conversation was going in.

"I had forgotten how much I enjoy your cooking," Betty suddenly cut in.

Veronica appeared to have forgotten the grave mood that the conversation was turning, as she smiled to Betty. "Why thank you, dear. This's an old family recipe, you know?"

Sam smiled inwardly. Perhaps he could enjoy his dinner. Of course, he never actually found out where Bill was, but he knew that he could ask them later. Or maybe Al knew where he was. Regardless, he talked to "his" family for the rest of the meal, and had a very enjoyable time. It almost reminded him of being back at home, when he had dinners with his real family. Sam hoped that before he leapt, he could have one more nice dinner like this, since it was so rare that he did.

"This dinner is just as good as I last remembered," Sam remarked. "I've missed it."

Veronica looked amused at Sam's remark which confused him.

"What is it?" Sam asked.

To Sam's surprise Veronica chuckled, "Before you left to become a lawyer you used to remark that you couldn't get away from here to have some city food."

"I was wrong. The food there isn't as nearly as good as this. Besides, I've done a great amount of growing up since those days."

Veronica looked at Sam for a moment, and then smiled again. "Well, I guess you don't know what you miss until it's gone, right?"

Sam nodded, not answering due to a large piece of chicken in his mouth.

"Slow down, Gerry," Betty laughed. "When was the last time you ate?''

Honestly, Sam couldn't remember eating on this leap, and had only a vague recollection of his last leap, which was into a pregnant woman named... He couldn't seem to remember. "8 years," Sam said truthfully, which made everyone at the table laugh.

Finally, after much more pleasant conversation, the dinner was over, and Sam stood up to leave the table as the dishes were being cleared.

Figured I should mention again that anyone who would like to contribute to the story is certainly welcome to. For those who read the last story, it always make the story a lot more fun and entertaining when a lot of people contribute.

"Do you need any help?" Sam offered.

"No, I'm fine dear," Veronica replied. "Go off and enjoy your evening."

Sorry about it being so short, I couldn't really think of much to add.