Brainstorming sessions?

LadyKayoss

Project QL Intern
Jan 26, 2006
Michigan
I didn't know where to put this; I couldn't find a similar thread anywhere. If one exists, feel free to shift this over there (just let me know where!)

Anyway, I'd like to write QL fanfiction, but this is one of those fandoms I'm wary of dabbling in because it has a large and fiercely loyal fanbase. I have some ideas for fics, and I'd like to be able to bounce them off of other fans and get their input, and I thought maybe it could be done on the messageboard.

LadyKayoss said:
....Anyway, I'd like to write QL fanfiction, but this is one of those fandoms I'm wary of dabbling in because it has a large and fiercely loyal fanbase. I have some ideas for fics, and I'd like to be able to bounce them off of other fans and get their input, and I thought maybe it could be done on the messageboard.

I've been told I'm a pretty good "bouncer off of"/a/k/a sounding board. :)

-------
Eleiece

I currently have three ideas I'm kicking around, none of which have any real plot detail worked out, as well as a Halloween story I'd like to do if I can pull off horror. I've given all my ideas 'working titles' so I can keep them straight.

And, I should warn you, I'm not exactly a nice person when it comes to characters I like.

Blind Justice This one, I'm iffy about. I know Sam has done the blind thing before, but this one's different. He leaps into a bomb squad member who's diffusing a bomb, only to have it blow up in his face and blind him. Not only does Sam have to learn to live with his handicap for this entire leap, he has to find a way to stop another bomb from going off and killing a lot of innocent people. I had toyed with the idea that he carries the blindness on through to his next leap, but I'm still not certain.

Bingo, Bango, Bongo I haven't seen this done anywhere before, but someone probably has. Sam finds himself as one of Al's women, and he has to fend off the advances of his persistent best friend without giving in to his urges to hurt him. Worse, Sam is a model, and has to put up with everything a model does, such as, oh, waxing. I have no clue what he's there for, or when, exactly, the leap takes place. I just thought the whole concept would be funny.

Deadline Sam and Al believe that Sam's task is to prevent the person he leaped into from being poisoned and dying. Unfortunately, they discover too late that the poison is in Sam's system, and now the only thing left for him to do is to bring his poisoner to justice and leap out before he dies. All the while, Sam's agonizing over the fact that, as soon as he leaps out, his host will return and be the one to die from the poison. Here's where I really need help: I need to find a poison that's fatal, has no antidote, and takes about a week to kill, though it has debilitating effects on the body beforehand.

My Halloween idea is still only in its fledgling stages; it takes elements from The B**giem*n and Shock Theater and almost drives Sam over the edge.

Let me know what you all think.

LadyKayoss said:
I currently have three ideas I'm kicking around, none of which have any real plot detail worked out, as well as a Halloween story I'd like to do if I can pull off horror. I've given all my ideas 'working titles' so I can keep them straight.

Blind Justice This one, I'm iffy about. I know Sam has done the blind thing before, but this one's different. He leaps into a bomb squad member who's diffusing a bomb, only to have it blow up in his face and blind him. Not only does Sam have to learn to live with his handicap for this entire leap, he has to find a way to stop another bomb from going off and killing a lot of innocent people. I had toyed with the idea that he carries the blindness on through to his next leap, but I'm still not certain.

------------------------------
This one sounds very intriguing. As for carrying the blindness over into another leap, to my thinking, if you wanted to resolve Sam's blindness, you would need to write a companion story for "Blind Justice".

===================================================
Bingo, Bango, Bongo I haven't seen this done anywhere before, but someone probably has. Sam finds himself as one of Al's women, and he has to fend off the advances of his persistent best friend without giving in to his urges to hurt him. Worse, Sam is a model, and has to put up with everything a model does, such as, oh, waxing. I have no clue what he's there for, or when, exactly, the leap takes place. I just thought the whole concept would be funny.

-----------------
I'm already :roflmao: about this one. It would be priceless! I can just picture him fighting off Al's gleaming-eyed advances. As for why Sam is there, maybe he's there to prevent a fellow model from committing suicide when...oh...say... the designer whose collection is being shown, cuts her from the show because of....whatever reason. I would REALLY love to see this one written! *G*

======================================================
Deadline Sam and Al believe that Sam's task is to prevent the person he leaped into from being poisoned and dying. Unfortunately, they discover too late that the poison is in Sam's system, and now the only thing left for him to do is to bring his poisoner to justice and leap out before he dies. All the while, Sam's agonizing over the fact that, as soon as he leaps out, his host will return and be the one to die from the poison. Here's where I really need help: I need to find a poison that's fatal, has no antidote, and takes about a week to kill, though it has debilitating effects on the body beforehand.

-------------------------------------------------------------
As much as I like your other two story ideas, "Deadline" has absolutely got me fascinated! Sam working against the clock to accomplish his mission, in increasing agony from the poison as well as knowing that his host will die as soon as he leaps out.... drama, angst, soul-searching....this would make a great story!

===================================================
My Halloween idea is still only in its fledgling stages; it takes elements from The B**giem*n and Shock Theater and almost drives Sam over the edge.

---------------------
Another intriguing story nugget! I love a good edge of the seat, nail-biting, messing with Sam's mind (to say nothing of the reader's!) mind. I'll be interested in seeing how you grow this nugget into a story.

And, I should warn you, I'm not exactly a nice person when it comes to characters I like.

*G* There's a goodly number of writers here (raises hand) who like being "not nice" to our favorite time-traveling quantum physicist, so you're in good company!
-------
Eleiece

*G* There's a goodly number of writers here (raises hand) who like being "not nice" to our favorite time-traveling quantum physicist, so you're in good company!

I think I see a syndrome here as I raise my hand, as well. Let's just say that in the majority of the stories I'm working on right now everytime I open one to work on it Sam goes running and screaming as far from me as he can.

What's your poison?

Here's where I really need help: I need to find a poison that's fatal, has no antidote, and takes about a week to kill, though it has debilitating effects on the body beforehand.

You may find arsenic will do the trick.
Nasty stuff, can have a cumulative effect so take long time to kill, and painfully.
Only thing is, if you work out you're being given it and stop taking it, you'll survive, though possibly with long term disability if exposure is great enough, but you could get round that by having the victim given a large dose that would finish them off just around the time Sam leaps out.

For the symptoms etc. see my VS story "Skin Deep" from season eleven, and I can give you access to what I have left of the extensive research I did on arsenic for this story.

I'm sure I saw a film once with the hero struggling to find out who poisoned him before he died, but I can't recall either the name of the film or the poison. It may not have been named (and indeed was probably totally fictitious). I'm sure there is a James Bond (might be Live and Let Die) where he is given a poison drink and has to get hold of the antidote, and it falls etc and all very dramatic 'will he get enough to save him?' which of course he does in the nick of time. I'm sure my research suggested there was no poison that would act in the way described, and very few have simple 'sip the antidote and be fine in five minutes' convenient cures. Over the years, accuracy has been sacrificed to dramatic effect in many professional works of fiction.
I get the impression you are like me though - you like things to have a ring of truth about them.
Good luck with your research, your ideas sound interesting. (maybe we could collaborate on a story sometime, I have a stack of ideas waiting to be written too, both solo and as joint ventures)

LadyKayoss said:
Heh, you're not the only one. Helen (leaper1) has been known to put Sam through the wringer on more than one occasion. I could be considered evil when it comes to ideas too: prime example is my VS story "Present's Convergence" (1101) where Sam gets captured by Lothos after Zo? leaps into him upon finally returning home. Sam gets stripped down, zapped with electrodes, hung from the ceiling with his feet barely touching the floor while being whipped with a cat o'nine tails for hours on end (ala The Passion of the Christ), and then branded with the letter 'L' on one side of his upper abdomen right below the ribcage. Ouch! And since the story takes place in TVS continuity, Sam still has the scar to forever "remind" him of the torture he endured. Plus, that ain't nothin' compared to what I have planned in the coming weeks! Yup, I'm evil, aren't I? :bat

LadyKayoss said:
I like that idea. Only thing is, if a bomb literally blew up in someone's face, wouldn't it do a lot more than blind them? Although I know about the character's fate, I didn't see the conclusion of that recent Grey's Anatomy episode with Kyle Chandler as the S.W.A.T. team guy, so I don't know how it all went down. But I do like the idea of Sam's blindness carrying over into his next leap. Only thing is, he couldn't stay that way forever...could he? :eek

LadyKayoss said:
That would be...interesting, to say the least. :p

LadyKayoss said:
That's a pretty good idea too. Perhaps the poison could be some fatal form of anthrax? Or maybe SWAK? (I think that's what it was called... from the NCIS episode from last season where DiNozzo almost died.) Not sure how long either of those take to kill the victim. I have one question with all of these ideas: are these just going to be normal fanfiction stories that don't relate to anything else, or are you considering submitting these for the Virtual Seasons? Just asking because I know not everyone necessarily wants to adhere to one specific timeline of continuity. If it's under consideration for TVS, that series follows the body-leaping rule, therefore, what happens to Sam physically during a leap will either heal in-between leaps, or sometimes carry over permanently depending on the situation and/or author. In rare instances, Sam has become afflicted with his host's medical condition, usually when a partial mind-merge is involved or something like that. Greg's (DeadZoneLeaper's) first VS story, "Guinea Pig," had Sam feeling the "residual" effects of his host's terminal cancer during his leap. So, just curious as to how you were thinking of playing around with that whole "Sam dying" aspect. :)

LadyKayoss said:
Sounds vaguely similar to something I've been working on for a while. Only thing I'll say about my story is the title: "Post Traumatic Leap Syndrome." :sup

Damon

Since a couple of people have asked about this, I'll explain my reasoning. I do believe in the body leaping thing; it's just that I've noticed that whenever Sam is seriously injured, the injury never carries over to the next leap. My assumption was that the injuries pass on to the returning person (a theory I've admittedly come up with thanks to a couple of the novels that also go with the body leaping). I'd just assumed it was a way to keep the timeline smooth, otherwise people from noticing something odd about the leapee; it would look strange if the person was grievously wounded at one point, then fine the next. That's just my opinion.

At the moment. I have no plans to write for the VS; I've only read through season 8, I'm too busy to meet a deadline, and no one even knows if I have writing skills, so it seems like it'd be presumptuous of me to submit something.

I'll try to answer more questions later; I smashed my middle finger about an hour ago (and managed to faint from the pain in the office; how humiliating!) so I don't want to be on too much longer. Ugh... it's hard to type with an injured middle finger... I keep missing the important letters!

leaper1 said:
I get the impression you are like me though - you like things to have a ring of truth about them.
Good luck with your research, your ideas sound interesting. (maybe we could collaborate on a story sometime, I have a stack of ideas waiting to be written too, both solo and as joint ventures)

I do like my stories to have a ring of truth, yes. I think it comes from being a science major. :) And I'd love a collaberation! I've never worked with anyone before!

Dman176 said:
That's a pretty good idea too. Perhaps the poison could be some fatal form of anthrax? Or maybe SWAK? (I think that's what it was called... from the NCIS episode from last season where DiNozzo almost died.) Not sure how long either of those take to kill the victim.

Hehehehe, this is my FAVORITE episode of NCIS! SWAK was the name of the ep, and it was the pneumonic plague that was in the envelope. It was chemically altered, but somehow it killed itself after a 48-72 hour period (i think, that one part of the ep is a little fuzzy). Dinozzo nearly died almost 3 days after he was infected, but you could always extend it to your needs. However, this particular disease was highly contagious.

This would be a great idea to do. I'm all for and would love to read it.

Samantha Beckett

And, I should warn you, I'm not exactly a nice person when it comes to characters I like

I am also evil when it comes treating the charecters. Just look at what I do to Sam in the current VS Episode, "To Help a Friend." And that is just the tip of the iceburg. MUHAHAHAHA

Very, VERY interesting Idea. I would love to see this one written

This one would be a great comidec episode. You could have a lot of fun with it.

Arsenic sounds about right as I thing it was Helen in Bedford said. It would deffinately be an interesting concept.

The Horror episodes are great.

Al's Handlink said:

I am also evil when it comes treating the charecters. Just look at what I do to Sam in the current VS Episode, "To Help a Friend." And that is just the tip of the iceburg. MUHAHAHAHA

But, as I have said before...there's "evil", then there's you.

I know some of yall say that the torture is your showing of affection for the character...i'm the opposite. I love and protect and keep my characters safe, lol. I put other ppl in jeopardy :D

Samantha Beckett

Shoot, many of you have raised interesting points/concerns, and I haven't been able to answer because of my smashed finger. I shall try to do it now, in one massive post!

Dman176 said:
I like that idea. Only thing is, if a bomb literally blew up in someone's face, wouldn't it do a lot more than blind them? Although I know about the character's fate, I didn't see the conclusion of that recent Grey's Anatomy episode with Kyle Chandler as the S.W.A.T. team guy, so I don't know how it all went down. But I do like the idea of Sam's blindness carrying over into his next leap. Only thing is, he couldn't stay that way forever...could he? :eek

My thought on this was that it wasn't a big bomb, and that it didn't quite blow up in his face. Sam leaps in, realizes that there's no way he could ever defuse a bomb, and starts backing away, only to have it blow up before he can completely escape. It's probably just easier for me to have the blindness passed on once Sam leaps. I had initially thought about a trilogy where Sam has to struggle through leaps blind, but I don't know...

Dman176 said:
That's a pretty good idea too. Perhaps the poison could be some fatal form of anthrax? Or maybe SWAK? (I think that's what it was called... from the NCIS episode from last season where DiNozzo almost died.) Not sure how long either of those take to kill the victim. If it's under consideration for TVS, that series follows the body-leaping rule, therefore, what happens to Sam physically during a leap will either heal in-between leaps, or sometimes carry over permanently depending on the situation and/or author. In rare instances, Sam has become afflicted with his host's medical condition, usually when a partial mind-merge is involved or something like that. Greg's (DeadZoneLeaper's) first VS story, "Guinea Pig," had Sam feeling the "residual" effects of his host's terminal cancer during his leap. So, just curious as to how you were thinking of playing around with that whole "Sam dying" aspect. :)Damon

Actually, it's not going to be a residual effect; Sam is dosed with the poison after his leap in, before Al warns him that the person he's leaped into is going to die. So the body-leaping isn't an issue, if I assume that any harm Sam takes is immediately passed on when he leaps out. And I'll definately have to check out the NCIS stuff you mentioned. I'm still at a loss, poison-wise.

Sherdran said:
I'm already :roflmao: about this one. It would be priceless! I can just picture him fighting off Al's gleaming-eyed advances. As for why Sam is there, maybe he's there to prevent a fellow model from committing suicide when...oh...say... the designer whose collection is being shown, cuts her from the show because of....whatever reason. I would REALLY love to see this one written! *G*

That could work. It's not going to be one of those major, important leaps; I just want to have Sam trying to fight off Al. And put him through the horror that is modeling. Poor guy; he's not going to get much to eat on this leap...

leaper1 said:
You may find arsenic will do the trick.
Nasty stuff, can have a cumulative effect so take long time to kill, and painfully.
Only thing is, if you work out you're being given it and stop taking it, you'll survive, though possibly with long term disability if exposure is great enough, but you could get round that by having the victim given a large dose that would finish them off just around the time Sam leaps out.

For the symptoms etc. see my VS story "Skin Deep" from season eleven, and I can give you access to what I have left of the extensive research I did on arsenic for this story.

I'm sure I saw a film once with the hero struggling to find out who poisoned him before he died, but I can't recall either the name of the film or the poison. It may not have been named (and indeed was probably totally fictitious). I'm sure there is a James Bond (might be Live and Let Die) where he is given a poison drink and has to get hold of the antidote, and it falls etc and all very dramatic 'will he get enough to save him?' which of course he does in the nick of time. I'm sure my research suggested there was no poison that would act in the way described, and very few have simple 'sip the antidote and be fine in five minutes' convenient cures. Over the years, accuracy has been sacrificed to dramatic effect in many professional works of fiction.

The problem with arsenic is that Sam isn't going to be exposed to it for very long. I'll have to consider this one, though; maybe it passes over to him when he leaps in. I stubbornly want there to be no chance of an antidote or cure, however.

Samantha Beckett said:
Hehehehe, this is my FAVORITE episode of NCIS! SWAK was the name of the ep, and it was the pneumonic plague that was in the envelope. It was chemically altered, but somehow it killed itself after a 48-72 hour period (i think, that one part of the ep is a little fuzzy). Dinozzo nearly died almost 3 days after he was infected, but you could always extend it to your needs. However, this particular disease was highly contagious.

This would be a great idea to do. I'm all for and would love to read it.

Samantha Beckett

Can you imagine if Sam was carrying a highly contagious, incurable disease? I think he'd quarantine himself and die before he risked exposing others - even if it means failing at his mission.

Admittedly, contagions are fun to play with. Imagine if one broke out at PQL?

Thanks for your input, everyone. Now I just need to figure out the times/places for these fics. *grumbles* This is what makes QL a difficult fandom to write for. Now I have to do research...