Do the DVDs use the *original* credit openings?

electrictroy

Project QL Intern
Aug 26, 2005
The opening/title sequence for the Sci-Fi Channel shows the opening from season 4 (flashbacks from the previous 3 years).

Do the DVDs include the *original* opening for seasons 1, 2, and 3?

troy

Yes, with the exception of "Play It Again, Seymour," which is a Season 1 episode that mistakenly has Season 2's opening credit sequence.

QL Nut said:
Yes, with the exception of "Play It Again, Seymour," which is a Season 1 episode that mistakenly has Season 2's opening credit sequence.

Actually, to my memory, that isn't an error at all. Play It Again Seymour was the first Quantum Leap episode that I ever saw on NBC brand new and it had the second season opening credits. I guess they decided that they didn't like the original first season credits.

Then it could be my memories are magnafoozled.

Kat

Cpt Jules said:
Actually, to my memory, that isn't an error at all. Play It Again Seymour was the first Quantum Leap episode that I ever saw on NBC brand new and it had the second season opening credits. I guess they decided that they didn't like the original first season credits.

Then it could be my memories are magnafoozled.

Kat

Really? I know back when the first season DVDs came out that there were questions of whether this was actually a mistake or not. Some members on the board here concluded that it was a mistake, but I was still never really sure.

The thing is, if a first season episode is going to use a second season opening credit sequence, that means that some of the second season had to have been already shot. If it's not a mistake, Season 2 must have began filming before Season 1 ended, obviously.

I personally never thought this was a mistake on the DVD set, because it's a mistake which seems like Universal would have to go out of their way to make. As I understand it, the opening credit sequences and saga cells are all part of the original film with their corresponding episodes as a whole. So, for Universal to screw that credit sequence up, it seems like they'd have to "cut and paste" one from a Season 2 episode. Get it?

QL Nut said:
Really? I know back when the first season DVDs came out that there were questions of whether this was actually a mistake or not. Some members on the board here concluded that it was a mistake, but I was still never really sure.

The thing is, if a first season episode is going to use a second season opening credit sequence, that means that some of the second season had to have been already shot. If it's not a mistake, Season 2 must have began filming before Season 1 ended, obviously.

I personally never thought this was a mistake on the DVD set, because it's a mistake which seems like Universal would have to go out of their way to make. As I understand it, the opening credit sequences and saga cells are all part of the original film with their corresponding episodes as a whole. So, for Universal to screw that credit sequence up, it seems like they'd have to "cut and paste" one from a Season 2 episode. Get it?

Yup!
:wave

Kat

Hi all. First post on the forum.

I watched the Season 1 DVD again recently, and i also caught a VHS recording of "A Leap of Faith" which for some reason came straight after Genesis on the TV version, and the titles were slightly different. In the DVD version of the episode, just like the rest of the season the zooming in dates in the title sequence have a green glow as opposed to the scrolling QUANTUM LEAP which has a blue glow. In the TV version of "A Leap of Faith" though the zooming in dates also have a blue glow.

Anyone else noticed that?

P.S - I'm on a Mac and for some reason the site dosen't work properly on a Mac on Safari. I had to use a PC just to signup.

Well...

Might be your player or your TV, because I always see every date in the title sequence in a blue glow. First, second and third (which includes "Leap of Faith")seasons. Blue glow. Green? No.

Mr-Stabby said:
Hi all. First post on the forum.

I watched the Season 1 DVD again recently, and i also caught a VHS recording of "A Leap of Faith" which for some reason came straight after Genesis on the TV version, and the titles were slightly different. In the DVD version of the episode, just like the rest of the season the zooming in dates in the title sequence have a green glow as opposed to the scrolling QUANTUM LEAP which has a blue glow. In the TV version of "A Leap of Faith" though the zooming in dates also have a blue glow.

Anyone else noticed that?

P.S - I'm on a Mac and for some reason the site dosen't work properly on a Mac on Safari. I had to use a PC just to signup.

Welcome to the site, Mr Stabby.

I am a Mac user too, and haven't had any problems with the site at all. I would recommend Firefox over Safari though, it tends to work better. Also, if there is ever another group chat - I have found that only IE lets me type in the chat box. Hope this helps.

Sauron said:
Might be your player or your TV, because I always see every date in the title sequence in a blue glow. First, second and third (which includes "Leap of Faith")seasons. Blue glow. Green? No.

Definitely not my TV.

Here's a clip i ripped directly from the DVD onto my Mac:

ql.jpg

This is from the titles of every episode on the DVD of Season 1. On the TV they all glowed green except on "Leap of Faith" where everything is blue.

Mr-Stabby said:
Definitely not my TV.

Here's a clip i ripped directly from the DVD onto my Mac:

This is from the titles of every episode on the DVD of Season 1. On the TV they all glowed green except on "Leap of Faith" where everything is blue.

I'm a bit confused here... The image you ripped is from Season 1's credit sequence. But "Leap Of Faith" is in Season 3, which is already a completely different sequence. Are you saying it aired on television with Season 1's credit sequence?

You also mentioned that you caught the differences by comparing a DVD to a VHS tape. Could it be that it's an old tape and that the color is slightly off?

The important thing here is that the season 2 intro sequence not only shows several scenes from season 2, but shows the new leap effects which I presume took dozens of hours of time to create. I thought this work was done over the summer hiatus between seasons 1 and 2.

Is there confirmation anywhere that shooting on season 2 episodes was happening before the airing of the 8th episode of season 1? And isn't this highly unusual in the episodic TV industry?

OK, I just checked the DVD. Here's the evidence:

There's no saga cell at all, not even Scott's Season 1 version. We just get Scott's "Here's what happened last time" setup, then the leap into the episode. The first part of Act I has been turned into the teaser, as happened to all Quantum Leap episodes upon rerun.

The only time this setup was used was during the first part of the second season. By the second half of the second season, Deborah/Ziggy's saga sell was dubbed onto all episodes, even first-season reruns.

But that means a rerun of Seymour had to air either before the first broadcast of What Price Gloria? (on Oct. 25) or after a rerun of Camikazi Kid (which aired in December -- I have a VHS copy which has him leaping out from "Portrait for Troian" into a rerun of "Kid").

My VHS copy of Seymour comes from the summer of 1990, when it was rerun with the new saga sell and opening credits. Sam then leaped into the rabbi from "Thou Shalt Not..."

While it's not impossible that NBC re-ran Seymour more than once, it seems highly unlikely to me.

What I'm saying in a roundabout way is...I dunno. ;) I threw out the facts and theories that I could think of, but as far as hard info, I can't crack this case at all.