Hello from Pennsylvania!

Siggy

Project QL Intern
Hello! I'm new to both this community and Quantum Leap in general.

As for how I came to be here...well...I've always known about Quantum Leap, but always sort of had it in the back of my head that if it was ever on, maybe I'd watch it. I was five when it started, so a bit young for the first run.

So...I happened to be browsing Hulu one day, saw that they had some episodes, and began to consider it. Then Scott Bakula was on Chuck, so it pretty much sealed the deal. I watched the first season episodes on Hulu, loved them, and then managed to get my hands on the other seasons.

Needless to say, this is my newest TV love. I finished all five seasons in less than a month, and the DVD sets will soon be purchased (though, from what I'm hearing about the rush job on those, maybe I should hold out for better versions with better music and what not?)

I'm so glad to be here with other fans! I haven't belonged to a message board community in quite a while, but I'll soon be up to speed on everything.

A little about me in general:
My name is Julie. Siggy is an actual nickname of mine that I got back in high school because of my last name. I've used it in other places online, and felt it would do well here. I'm not trying to step on Ziggy's (metaphorical) toes, I promise!

One thing that others here might find interesting is that I spent the first 18 years of my life growing up in Cokeburg, PA. It's not very "magical"...it's a big hill covered in duplex houses with a population of about 700 (and no, there's no Al's Place). But I won't say I'm not filled with pride for my little hometown either! When I found out that Don Bellisario is from there, I had a moment of shock and awe. Nobody is from Cokeburg! Ha ha. But I love the little nods to the area that are thrown in episodes here and there (for example: Bentleyville, the town Sam's high school team had to beat, is a local town, and the "main" town of the area). I still live within an hour of it, and still drive through it on occasion for nostalgic purposes.

I hope to dive (or should I say leap?) right in with posting, and I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

Welcome from the resident :wacko Brit

Always a pleasure to meet new fans.

Interesting about Bentleyville, I hadn't known that.

Any more nuggets of 'local' knowledge for us?

welcome welcome, make yourself right at home :)

(so, that's where bentleyville is, coooool :) )

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm going to start making my way through the episode ratings threads and adding my comments. Sorry if I start digging up really old threads!

Any more nuggets of 'local' knowledge for us?

Well, I'm doing a rewatch right now (the first run through I was going rather quickly, this one will be a bit more relaxed), so when I find anything local I'll make a note of it.

One thing I can think of right off the top of my head is in A Portrait for Troian, when the housekeeper says "redd up." I did a mental double-take at that, paused the episode, and thought "wait, did she just...?" Then I had to rewind it and see. Yep. And then two seconds later, Sam commented on it. I didn't quite notice at first because we say that around here. It's considered "Pittsburghese," though, as it says in the episode, it's Pennsylvania Dutch (which happens to be my heritage...German immigrants to PA). For anyone who may be wondering, because I'm not sure if the episode cleared it up or not, it means "clean up" or "straighten up."

The Bentleyville thing is my favorite that I can recall though. Who knows, maybe there is a Bentleyville, Indiana...but I'm gonna say it was most likely a local nod.

Welcome! (What do you prefer to be called, Julie or Siggy?)

Always glad to see new leapers come to the fold, even if I don't always immediately reply (I just don't have the time like I used to). Might I suggest The Virtual Seasons for when you are finally done "reviewing" the main series. It might not be "canon," per se, but it's probably the closest thing us fans will get to a true continuation of QL (in spirit, at least). Plus, I can't help but plug it because I wrote a number of episodes. ;) It's been on hiatus for a while, but will return in September with the 14th Season. (There's also Quantum Retribution, which focuses on the "dark side" of the QL universe, and The Starbright Project, which is a prequel fan-fiction series set during the mid to late '80s. All 3 of these series are currently on hiatus, but they will all presumably be back at some point in the near future.)

Sorry for the plug, I'm just trying to get myself back into this stuff because I was gone for quite a while up until a few months ago. Again, welcome aboard! :)

Damon

Welcome! (What do you prefer to be called, Julie or Siggy?)

I'll respond to either, I'm not picky. :)

As for the virtual seasons...I'm actually working my way through season 6 now, I just haven't commented on any of them yet. Immediately after finishing the series, I went in search of "fix-it-fic" to help me cope. But instead of wading through all the fanfic out there (not as much as I thought there'd be though, surprisingly), I started in on the "official" virtual seasons. So far so good!

I am a huge fanfic fanatic. It's pretty much all I read anymore (which is kind of a shame in a way...I can't remember the last time I finished an actual novel made of actual paper). I love the opportunity to get new "episodes" with my favorite characters.

I have a LOT of reading to do! :D

Might I suggest The Virtual Seasons for when you are finally done "reviewing" the main series. It might not be "canon," per se, but it's probably the closest thing us fans will get to a true continuation of QL (in spirit, at least). Plus, I can't help but plug it because I wrote a number of episodes. ;) It's been on hiatus for a while, but will return in September with the 14th Season.

Das gefallt mir! That's wonderful that it will be returning. Considering my "read-one-a-day" stance, and considering that I don't even have time to read one a day every day, it should start up again without me even having to take a break inbetween. :)

Last edited:
Das gefallt mir! That's wonderful that it will be returning. Considering my "read-one-a-day" stance, and considering that I don't even have time to read one a day every day, it should start up again without me even having to take a break inbetween. :)
Let's just hope that I'll FINALLY have the grand finale of my "Rogue Leaper" arc, "Fate's Wide Wheel," done by then, since it was skipped over near the end of Season 12 due to my extreme tardiness. If I could just get in touch with my co-writer, whom I have been attempting to contact but has not replied to my e-mails (hint, hint, Mike, if you're out there). :p

Damon