I'd like everyone's opinion... what's our next move?

D

Dman176

All right, I hope no one minds if I babble on for a minute here:

I still hold out a small glimmer of hope that we'll see this board "fixed" somewhat over the next week or two. The techs are saying that some "repairs" might not be showing up yet until they take the final steps to initiate a restoral. However, after the most recent updates made by the ever-so-informative CEO (yes, that was sarcasm), I'm not holding my breath that we're going to be getting back most of what we lost. This might just be my pessimism talking, but to be honest, I don't have as much faith in ezboard as I used to. (I know some people never had that much faith in it to begin with...)

What is really frustrating is that we were told that posting in the "broken" forums was not a good idea, and now we're basically being told that if we haven't replied to all of the threads that were messed up, they are likely gone forever. This would have been a damn good thing to know; maybe we could have actually saved a number of posts that were made over the past year.

The thing that concerned me more than anything was all of the comments and ratings that people gave over at the Virtual Seasons board. In the past, MJ had set up an e-mail group at Yahoo where the official raters would post their messages and ratings there. This season, she tried something new by having the raters submit their ratings and comments on a voting board which would then automatically forward those comments to us in an e-mail message, which we would then copy and paste into the episode polls. So, of course, neither MJ nor I have those e-mails any longer (except for the very last story from last week)... which means that, other than what I was able to copy and paste, many of the comments and speculation that people had made regarding the story arc (which Greg and I also went to great lengths to plug all year long) are now effectively gone. An entire year's worth of work down the drain. Sure, the actual stories are still there for all to read (the main websites were not affected in any way, shape or form), but reading the comments that people gave was what made writing those stories worth it for me. What's the point of even writing anything if you can't read feedback and know what people thought of it when you feel like your writing isn't up to par? (Especially with someone like myself who has a low self-esteem as it is.) Now, I have nothing to look back on when I need inspiration for my next set of stories. :cry

I'm at a loss as to what we should do at this point. Our entire history here is being eaten into cyberspace, the chance of getting it back diminishing with each passing minute. I've been feeling extremely disillusioned with ezboard for quite a while now, and I've been trying to be patient while they work to correct this disaster, but this just takes the cake for me. Perhaps we should seriously consider moving elsewhere after all is said and done.

What does everyone else think about this whole situation? Were they irresponsible with their backup system? Are the techs doing everything they could be doing? Should I be trying not to let this affect me so much?

Any suggestions? Anyone?

Damon

Well, this entire situation certainly does suck. As you said, Damon, perhaps the hardest hit was for the Virtual Seasons writers losing their feedback. Even though I haven't written for them, I can understand how many of you may feel losing feedback as I like to think of myself as a creative person also. Not so much in stories, but more in art. It's like if I drew a picture that I felt was a masterpiece and had no one to show it to, what good is the artwork? Sometimes you need to hear other peoples' opinions so that you don't get stuck wondering too much.

I guess now's as good a time as any to say that I'm not the biggest fan of EZBoard. I find that it doesn't show me logged on if I come to this site from my work computer, which means I can't edit my posts; if I'm writing a long message, sometimes it doesn't go through and gets deleted (I always have to copy my text just to be safe [I can't tell you how many times I've cursed the computer out!]); I don't find its main site as user-friendly as it could be (a bunch of little things like typing a URL for a personal icon when there should just be a browse button to search your computer) and a few other things as well. And then, of course, this whole hacking issue doesn't help matters. Granted, I'm not the most computer-literate person (I try desperately to cram what seems like endless knowledge at work), so if there are simple ways to get around these problems, then I take my complaints back.

I do not think that we should abandon this board. I think I've been here for about a year now and have taken part in some really great discussions. However, aside from the VS, maybe having to start over with posts might not be the worst thing in the entire world. I'm just as frustrated as anybody that some really good discussions may be lost forever, but there's a flip side as well. We all kind of get to start over. Sure, there'll be new members asking some of those same old questions, but that's not so bad. Who knows? Maybe people will like me better here as well. I really don't know what the answers are, but I just feel that we should make what is a great board even better. I kind of feel lately when bad things happen in my life, I should try to make something good come out of it, no matter how insignificant. It also helps prevent regrets. I think we should apply the same ideology here.

I've always liked ezboard and I had put a lot of trust in the system. The trust was ruined mostly by the person/people responsible for the crisis and maybe a reletively small percent of that trust was ruined by ezboard itself for not having a better backup system. However, if they did have a really good backup, then the hacker(or "cracker" as Al called them*) is completely at fault. Ezboard is just that; it's "EZ"(easy) to use. If somewhere down the road we do decide to move to another network, I will support the move and I'll just have to get used to the new board. Al's Place has my full support in whatever we decide. There's VBulletin(which Brian has said he's not to fond of) and runboard. Those are the only messaging networks I can come up with right now. However I'm not fond of the personal profiles @ runboard.

That's all for now!

Steve
RossBeckett

*Refer to Eternal Shadows: The Dawning by MJ Cogburn

> Re: I'd like everyone's opinion... what's our next move

I should clarify that I don't think we should move because I figure that EZBoard should take the proper steps to have a better back-up system from now on. Now's the time to do it if all eyes are on them. I don't really know much about the other services or if they're just as vulnerable, either.

Re: > Re: I'd like everyone's opinion... what's our next

I have to say, having used MANY various boards prior to EZBoard, that I've never experienced so many headaches as I have from the moment I started posting here.

For the record, I've used the old Usenet newsgroups, Voy, YaBB, SMF, phpBB, and vBulletin boards (as well as another messageboard system similar to Voy, but I'm not sure what its "maker" was). All run on a different type of software than EZBoard AND Runboard, which run on the same type as far as I can tell.

The boards besides this one that I frequent are run on vBulletin and SMF. Knock on wood, have NEVER had a problem at either. Well....on one of the SMF boards, there was a server that went down, and a couple weeks' worth of posts were lost. I don't know if that was the site's server or SMF's, so I can't say where "blame" would rest with that instance. But as far as myself as a user, I've not had the types of problems that I've encountered via EZBoard (which for me has been anything BUT "easy" <g>)

edited to add: I just want to emphasize that my gripes are with EZBoard in GENERAL, and NOT with the QL boards or those who run them. :)

Re: > Re: I'd like everyone's opinion... what's our next

Well, okay, here's something interesting...

As I posted at the Help forums, I took the liberty of e-mailing my two cousins who own a web-design company out in Suffolk County, Long Island and asked them their opinions on this whole debacle. Very informative and much more honest answers than many of us have been getting over there. Granted, they responded to the best of their knowledge based on what I told them and also off of what they read from the CEO's posts. (I am in no way implying the techs are incompetent either; they seem to be doing their jobs as best they can, and I feel for them right now):

----- Original Message -----
To: johnc@granitewebdesign.com ; joec@granitewebdesign.com
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 4:44 PM
Subject: Wondering if either of you can provide some information...

Hi guys,

I know you're both probably busy, but I was wondering if I could ask you guys something concerning a major Internet problem that occurred last week. I moderate a couple of messageboards which are hosted by ezboard (you might have heard of them). On May 31, an "alleged" hacker destroyed a significant number of historical and recent posts, which supposedly also affected their backup systems (which boggles my mind, since backups should never be stored on a server where a hacker has easy access to them). So, in short, thousands of boards have been corrupted, including the ones I use on a regular basis. In most cases, everything has reverted back to April 2004, and any posts I or others have made over the past year are gone.

The moderators and technicians at ezboard have been working around the clock trying to fix as much as they can, but it's been a week and MANY members are still not seeing any significant progress and we're fearing the worst. The boards I moderate are basically fan communities, but one of them was used for people to give feedback on fiction stories we have all written, myself included. A whole year's worth of comments are now gone. Luckily, I was able to copy and paste what was left into a Word document, but there's still a lot that I can't get back. We'll survive if we have to, but I've been reading a lot of comments people have made on the Help Forums; some of these people use their boards for business, online journals, medical information, etc.

If you have the time, read these updates from the CEO and let me know what you make of this disaster:

p079.ezboard.com/fezboard...ouncements

Are we all screwed? Should we take our services elsewhere? If you can, take a look at these boards as well, and you'll see what I mean of how screwed up they are. Forums that list a certain number of posts, but are actually empty; or posts that say "Unknown... This data cannot be restored."

pub69.ezboard.com/balspla...board11411
pub39.ezboard.com/bthevirtualseasons

We were also specifically told not to make replies in damaged posts, otherwise it would make things a lot worse, but now we're hearing that if we haven't done that by now, then the data is likely lost forever... two completely contradictory statements which have resulted in thousands of @#%$-off and disgruntled customers. (And just in case you guys are wondering, that second board is only an extension of the website where my stories are kept. The actual site was not affected in any way; besides which, I'm smart enough to backup my own writing on a USB Flash Disc.) It's now six days later, and we're still losing pages of information as more and more time goes by. What should we do? I know it's unrealistic to assume we'll get EVERYTHING back, but I was holding out hope that the worst-case scenario would be that we get restored up to the beginning of May. Is there still hope that when the final restorals are finished, the boards will "magically" be fixed with most of what we lost?

I appreciate any information you guys can provide for me. The help forums are no help whatsoever, and I have the distinct impression that the CEO of this company is a moron and not being up-front with us. I'm hoping I'm wrong. Thanks.

Damon

Here's what my cousin said in response:

Hey Damon,

Without getting into the fine details ...if the boards got hacked or corrupted the proper resolution should be to restore the boards to the last good backup(which should only be a day or two old ...unless nobody noticed the problems for days or even weeks) AND perhaps most importantly the developers should apply the latest bug fixes or security code updates to the boards.

If the last good database backup is applied then yes all posts made after such date will definitely be lost. But you mentioned a date below of April 2004??? which leads me to believe the said truth that they DO NOT HAVE any saved database backups. That is terrible if the boards membership is fee based ...if it is a free board then they probable have a disclaimer posted someplace. They may not be able to cover the costs of backup or are using a cheap hosting provider.

-------------
After reading the CEO's posts it sounds like they DO NOT HAVE tape backups for each server unless the hacker actually had physical access to each machine ...regardless it truly sounds like a tremendous nightmare for ezboard ...keep your fingers & toes crossed!!!

What you have described is becoming more and more common these days ...backup, backup, backup ...helps keep reputable companies like ours in business :)

Best of luck cousin,

Joseph R. Contrino
Vice President
Granite Web Design
Tel: 631.580.1632
Fax: 631.580.5612
www.granitewebdesign.com

Take that information how you will. My cousins John and Joe are the president and vice-president of the company respectively, after all. They founded their business in 1999, I believe. I trust they know what they're talking about. (And I tend to agree with them after working at an ad agency and printing company over the past few years. Servers crash all the time, it's just the nature of the beast. If a company doesn't spend the money to make sure they have the most up-to-date equipment and doesn't do regular backups at least once a week, the company is going to end up with dissatisfied customers/clients and subsequently go under real fast.)

Damon

Re: I'd like everyone's opinion... what's our next

Sounds like your typical cheap company. Why spend the money to update your equipment if you can get away with using it until it breaks down? As with a lot of things, nothing gets done until a disaster happens.

I used to work off-the-books for this guy (I'm not mentioning his name because I don't want to give the nozzle any more business) who started his own photography business out of his home for Bar Mitzvahs, Sweet 16s, etc., and he used a lot of old equipment. He'd update his cameras and printers (but only because of his competition), but he was clearly too cheap to replace broken equipment like tripods and such. We'd have to work taking pictures with equipment that had duct tape on it and/or was scratched up a lot of the time. My boss just didn't see the point in spending money unless he absolutely had to, apparently much like these companies.

To tell you the truth, I'm a little suspicious that there was even a hacker(s) at all. I have a nagging feeling that EZBoard screwed up royally and the best way to cover it up would be to simply blame a hacker who could never be traced. What's getting me is the part about the hacker probably needing physical access to the servers. I don't know, but it doesn't matter how it happened, just that it happened.