Quantum Leap Photoshopping

Electro Leaper

Project QL Intern
Aug 7, 2005
Just recently, I've been working on leaps again. I stopped doing them a few years ago ever since I lost interest in Quantum Leap. Well, suddenly I'm getting into QL again and so I'm making animations again.

Now, before you say "What the hell are you talking about?," let me say that I've been doing "leaps" for years. Leaps are animated GIF files I make of Sam leaping. Hell, even Al leaping if I have a picture of him. I do everything in Photoshop and animate them in GIF Animator. Always have. I've even done things like Al going into his door or walking through walls and such. Yes, I was a QL nut. I've even done "Evil leaps." Red leaps rule.

Anyways, here's a "still" of one of the animations I made so far. I can't seem to find a way to upload the animated files since they're so big. Hope you guys like this, though:

blueleap1hl.png

Pretty cool. I've also been doing 'leaps' for years. :)

Maybe we could set up some kind of area for you to upload your leap animations to. It's up to Brian. If you e-mail them to me, I can post them here on the forum.

Electro Leaper e-mailed an awesome leap animation. This version is an optimized GIF animation of 3.5MB. It will take 15 minutes for the animation to completely download if you are on dialup and even on broadband, it will play very slowly the first time through. Wait a second and then it will repeat the playback smoothly. Download GIF Here

I have also provided the animation as a Microsoft video file (AVI) of about 1.4MB. Download AVI Here

Kudos to Electro Leaper! Now I'm going to have to dust off my skills and give it a shot. If anyone has a very high quality capture of the leap at the end of Mirror Image, specifically the 'leap-to-black', please e-mail me. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks Feldon, I appreciate it :)

Glad you like it too. I only have a few other leaps on this computer. There's one from Mirror Image (don't get your hopes up Feldon; it's the part where Sam leaps into Beth's place :p) and this other one from Vietnam I'm working on.

You know, it's strange... Usually, when I wasn't very skilled at making the leap, I would do each segment of the leap seperate. I would make the electricity part, then the white glowing part, and then the actual leap part. So in the end, it wouldn't really look accurate, and there ended up being about 300 different GIF frames, but it was the only way I knew how to do it. It wasn't until recently that I figured out a way to do everything simultaneously. Now I can finish a leap in about 30-40 frames.

Photoshop and layers are how I do it.
Yeah, me too. I meant just the sequence of the leap. You know the electricity surge part, then the white glowing part, then the actual lines that shoot out from Sam. I use to do it in that order so it wasn't very accurate ;)

I do the turning blue, then electricity, then the lines shooting out (once I get that capture from Mirror Image, I won't need to do that anymore), then the filling in with white.

What strikes me is how intricate your lightning and 'filling in with white' effects are. They use more frames-per-second than even the TV show.

Hm, yeah, I do love the electricity part. I try to make it as detailed as possible. I sometimes have to shorten it, though, in order to match it to the time of the leap sound. I play it simultaneously with the leap animation. You should try it if you haven't already ;)

And thanks a lot for your comments and help :)

That would be... a LOT of work! :lol

Seriously, that would take a lot of work... I'm not sure even the most skilled of Photoshop Artists could leap a whole cast of people. I'm sure I'd mess up in lots of places and... wait... did you mean leap SINGLE pictures or one BIG picture with everyone in it? I can't tell, but I suppose first come, first serve. Severely reduced in quality, of course. Mass-production, my friends.

*ORDER NOW!* *ARTISTS ARE STANDING BY!* *ORDER NOW!*

:p

EDIT: Wait (again)... Did you mean just make a photoshopped image of the picture or a whole animation? Please be more specific!!! :nut

My, my...

Very cool, indeed... Almost like the season 5 sequence, with the speed of the evil leap. Good work, keep doing leaps.

Electro Leaper said:
That would be... a LOT of work! :lol

Seriously, that would take a lot of work... I'm not sure even the most skilled of Photoshop Artists could leap a whole cast of people. I'm sure I'd mess up in lots of places and... wait... did you mean leap SINGLE pictures or one BIG picture with everyone in it? I can't tell, but I suppose first come, first serve. Severely reduced in quality, of course. Mass-production, my friends.

:p

EDIT: Wait (again)... Did you mean just make a photoshopped image of the picture or a whole animation? Please be more specific!!! :nut

Sorry sir, I can be a bit confusing at times. I meant individual pictures of members who wanted it done for the alumi or to complement the picture they already have existing on it.

leap me!

Hi Electro Leaper,

If I gave you a picture would you be willing/ able to do this for me? It would be awesome if you could! Let me know what you think,

Katie
hurray.gif

Electro Leaper said:
That would be... a LOT of work!
laugh.gif

tongue.gif

EDIT: Wait (again)... Did you mean just make a photoshopped image of the picture or a whole animation? Please be more specific!!!
nut.gif

Ziggy,

You're welcome to post an image and request that it be 'leaped'.

SamBeckettfann,

Adobe Photoshop is professional photo retouching software. It runs $650. However for aspiring photo editors, you can pick up Adobe Photoshop Elements for a more palatable $199. If that's too steep, look at Paint Shop Pro which has a bit less functionality than Photoshop Elements and is a consumer-friendly $99.

SamBeckettfann said:
Ay Carumba! i do have all that money but my willingness to spend it is a different story. i'll have to think it over, is there a program that can make pictures like this that is not nearly as much perhaps?

Just having a photo editing program is not going to mean you can do photos like this right off the bat. I've been using both Paintshop Pro and Photshop for about a year now and can't achieve a look like this on a picture. There's also going to be a learning curve with the program as well.