reading the fineprint -Google gets copyright?

jassian

Hopeful Maker of Art out of Daydream Dust
Oct 15, 2008
Germany
Thanks to Helen (leaper1) and others for teaching me to read fine print.
I discovered this as I was about to sign up for a gmail account:

"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services."

now this may only apply to public postings,but I'm not so sure.

11. Content licence from you
11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.
11.2 You agree that this licence includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.
11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this licence shall permit Google to take these actions.
11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above licence.

Good thing you read through that then, I guess. A bit complicated for me, considering I don't use gmail. See all the pratical things that can be learned on the forum. :)

Or they'll say it really fast. I refer you to commercials for prescription drugs:
==============================
Take Pill X, and watch your allergies disappear! :cheers

Warningmaycausedizzinessupsetstomachnauseaheartburnseizuresheartattacks
memorylapsesmoodswingsand1andof100peoplewerelegallydeadfortenminutesfollowingthe
useofthispill!

So feel better today with pill X!
=============================
Sorry Jassian, I completely derailed the topic with that. Reading the print again, though, it does indeed look like Google has at least some rights to whatever you end up creating. Good catch, Jassian.

...and really tiny.

Now I'm not sure if I'm reading that right, but if that bit says what I think it says, then they could even publish my personal emails and photos and so on.

But I'd be very happy to be proven wrong, so if anyone can do so, be my guest :)

I must say I'm relieved though, ohboy that
100peoplewerelegallydeadforonlytenminutesandnotmuchlongerthantenminutesfollowingthe
useofthispill!
:roflmao:

That's one of the reasons I don't use Google or gmail. They always push the envelope on your rights as a user, going for as much as they can get.

For example, they have a Google tool that searches your computer for files. The beta software actually stored a copy of your computer file directories on Google's servers. The intention was to make the search tool run faster and to allow you access to search from another computer. The user's privacy and security rights were so blatantly ignored that the testers complained and refused to use the software. Google modified it so that you can opt out of all that jazz, but I wonder what else their software does that hasn't been caught yet?

I like Yahoo! much better, although I do use Google occasionally for searches. It's better at finding images and videos.

That's one of the reasons I don't use Google or gmail. They always push the envelope on your rights as a user, going for as much as they can get.

For example, they have a Google tool that searches your computer for files. The beta software actually stored a copy of your computer file directories on Google's servers. The intention was to make the search tool run faster and to allow you access to search from another computer. The user's privacy and security rights were so blatantly ignored that the testers complained and refused to use the software. Google modified it so that you can opt out of all that jazz, but I wonder what else their software does that hasn't been caught yet?

I like Yahoo! much better, although I do use Google occasionally for searches. It's better at finding images and videos.

Good Lord! Thanks for the warning, NYCFan. I'll keep that in mind the next time I want to install any programs.

Good Lord! Thanks for the warning, NYCFan. I'll keep that in mind the next time I want to install any programs.
Thank zdnet. They had some people beta test it and they found that this great tool (which lets you search for files on your computer the way you search the internet) was sending a list of your files back to Google with datestamps and filesizes.

That experience taught me not to be an "early adopter" of new programs and freebies. You never know what a developer might think is 'no big deal.'

AFAIK, they change the Google search tool to stop that feature after the complaints, so it's okay to use now.