sams codename

Very first line: Department of Defense Umbra Top-Secret clearance 004-002-02-016

If you're looking at that "Waiting Room" page where you need to put in the codewords, they're these above.

Samantha Beckett

You have to enter the numbers without the dashes:

DOD:
Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
UMBRA

Clearance #:
Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)

I believe that Brian only uses that space when there's something special or secret in the works, though...

Damon

Here's something I'm wondering: Why would Sam have a Department of Defense code name? Isn't the DOD branch of the government associated with counterterrorism and not top-secret projects, especially those involving time-travel?

I could see where time-travel, even in a non-interference observing role, would be of interest to the government.

Go back in time and learn just how 9/11 plans went down to better prevent it happening again. Really be able to see what the Japanese were planning prior to Pearl Harbor. Watch what mistakes were made by your own people.

Those who don't learn from the mistakes of history are doomed to repeat it. I can see how this would have gotten funding from the DoD.

Now, the possibility of CHANGING things....that's a whole 'nother can of political/ethical worms.

McDuck said:
I could see where time-travel, even in a non-interference observing role, would be of interest to the government.

Go back in time and learn just how 9/11 plans went down to better prevent it happening again. Really be able to see what the Japanese were planning prior to Pearl Harbor. Watch what mistakes were made by your own people.

That's an interesting way to look at it. I agree...that, and the fact that the government was the source of funding for the Project. The high-ranking officials probably deemed it necessary to use the DOD branch.

Yeah, I was gonna say, it probably has to do with the Code-1 clearance they need to keep the project top-secret from the public. If I had to take a guess, I'd say that any government installation that needs to be kept top-secret at the highest level possible would require a security clearance from the Department of Defense since, theoretically, they rank at the top of security over the U.S.

Damon

Secret Clearance

The DOD (department of defense) studies many things (with many secret, top secret, and black projects). I agree with Jennie...a workable way to accurately observe the past (e.g. being a fly on the wall during planning meetings by those who would do us harm) would be one thing that the DOD would definitely be interested in.

Additionally, I believe that the DOE (department of energy) was also funding PQL. That's a who 'nother set of secret clearances!

Yeah...we know. We're just waiting for Brian to cook up something cool for the waiting room, lol. It's just nice to know how to get in there once he does :D

Samantha Beckett