Starry Sky

Sam Beckett Fan

Re-Writing Life
Jun 3, 2005
medium.com
I have made an interesting observation a while ago and was just reminded of it tonight while watching Starlight, Starbright.

Ok so in Double Identity in the scene where Sam is making up an excuse about the stars to Teresa when he has to ask the time to keep and eye on PQL's attempt to retrieve him. They look out the window in Don Gino's attack and as Sam shows her some specific stars we are shown a shot of the Starry sky.

Then in The Leap Back when Donna is seen with Al on the balcony of her and Sam's home and she asks Ziggy to locate a star for her. She whispers to the sky "I love you Sam" and we are shown a shot of the starry sky as we hear Sam's disembodied voice reply "I love you Donna".

Lastly In Starlight Starbright when Sam has just leaped in and mesmerized because he had seen a UFO. He had spoken to Al who diagnosed Sam as mind merged with Maxwell Staudard. After Al leaves Sam looks out the bedroom window and we are shown a shot of the starry sky as he says "I know you're out there".

Ok so why am I describing all these scenes? Well did you happen to notice that they all have something in common? My observation is that I could swear that in each scene described above the shot of the starry sky used is the exact same one. In each of these scenes the starry sky looks remarkably the same to me. Just something interesting I caught. Has anyone else noticed?

Last edited:
In which case what about "Leaping of the Shrew" - I'm sure Sam talks about the stars in that one, is it the same stock shots there too?

Yes i bet they used the same shot in all eps, just like in in 2 of the star trek movies they used the same blowing up klingon ship (cheapskates). I am currently plowing through Stargate from beginning to end and at the beginning of each scene they show the entrance of the stargate facility. I swear they have 4 shots that they just use over and over. Its really quite funny.

leaper1 said:
In which case what about "Leaping of the Shrew" - I'm sure Sam talks about the stars in that one, is it the same stock shots there too?

Yeah I was thinking about that but I can't remember for sure.

alsplacebartender said:
When I look up at the stars at night, it's the same usual suspects up there. LOL! ;)

Yes all the stars look the same but I mean in the shots they all have like a white cloud or something arounf them.

They look the same because it's the same stock footage. Many TV shows will do that to save expenses as opposed to reshooting general things.

One of the most obvious (and poorly chosen) uses of stock footage comes in "Blind Faith" when the camera pans over the New York skyline. The twin towers of the World Trade Center are clearly visible. There's just one problem - Blind Faith takes place in 1964. Ground wasn't broken to begin contruction of WTC until 1966. The first building was completed in 1970 and the second in 1972.

jmoniz said:
They look the same because it's the same stock footage. Many TV shows will do that to save expenses as opposed to reshooting general things.

One of the most obvious (and poorly chosen) uses of stock footage comes in "Blind Faith" when the camera pans over the New York skyline. The twin towers of the World Trade Center are clearly visible. There's just one problem - Blind Faith takes place in 1964. Ground wasn't broken to begin contruction of WTC until 1966. The first building was completed in 1970 and the second in 1972.

Oh wow I did not notice that one. Interesting.

Sam Beckett Fan said:

my mom, being a native nyc girl noticed that right away. yeah, i think i recall someone telling me that some of genesis had some recycled top gun stuff or was it airwolf? i can't really recall all of it.

going back to quantum, orion's belt is where betelguese is, regarding the mobster ep, double indenity...and leaping of the shrew had venus...these 2 eps stick out because i, like al, am some sicilian (my mom's father was, god he and scott bakula in real life share so many similarities) and adore the nasa program. at one time i wanted to be an astronaut.

re:starry sky

Sam Beckett Fan said:

my mom, being a native nyc girl noticed that right away. yeah, i think i recall someone telling me that some of genesis had some recycled top gun stuff or was it airwolf? i can't really recall all of it.

going back to quantum, orion's belt is where betelguese is, regarding the mobster ep, double indenity...and leaping of the shrew had venus...these 2 eps stick out because i, like al, am some sicilian (my mom's father was, god he and scott bakula in real life share so many similarities) and adore the nasa program. at one time i wanted to be an astronaut.

jmoniz said:

Oh thats hilarious!!! We could delve very deeply into this jmoniz and decide that in fact there were trying to represent the New York that Sam remembers (depending on what year it was when he first leaped, cause they may not have been there then either). Because as we all know, the writers spent hours pouring over every scene trying to figure out how future fans would interpret every little thing they did, and perhaps they were really trying to send us a message about how travelling in time warps our perspective of what we see in the future and the past and perhaps.....

Well perhaps thats just used the first peice of New York footage they found, and were in a hurry for a cigarette break. :lol

Bexter said:
We could delve very deeply into this jmoniz and decide that in fact there were trying to represent the New York that Sam remembers (depending on what year it was when he first leaped, cause they may not have been there then either).

I think the best estimate is that Sam started leaping sometime in 1995 so, well after the completion of the WTC.

laestrella said:

Wow very interesting Laestrella. My best friend told me that some aunt of hers had married into the mob actually, regarding your comment on being Sicilian in response to Double Identity reference.

i've always been told that the sicilians are the ones who started the mob. funny 'cause i am also 1/8 scottish and 1/4 canadian (yeah, prince edward island baby...anne of green gables land...and richard farnsworth was scott bakula's stunt double's dad...richard farnsworth was in anne of green gables of 1984 as matthew cuthbert with colleen dewhurst as his character's sister; colleen was married at one time to george c. scott who played patton who was my great uncle's former general in the army...and colleen played murphy brown's mom with candice bergen which co-starred scott after ql ended)

Starry Sky Problem

The biggest problem from my POV is that the sky he points out in Double Identity isn't the RIGHT star field. Should have been easy enough to find a picture of Orion.

(In fact...I did...

http://oobleck.ifa.hawaii.edu:8080/where/images/orion.jpg)

going back to quantum, orion's belt is where betelguese is,

Actually, Betelguese is the red star (actually a red giant which is what our sun will become someday) at Orion's left shoulder and has NOTHING to do with his belt.