Who's The Most Observant Poster?

Katie Beckett

Project QL Intern
Jun 27, 2007
I must preface my post by saying that once you get done reading, you're probably going to want to kill me. Don't worry -- I'm already kicking myself more than anyone else ever could.

Here's the story: I was in a store in Los Angeles recently which specializes in selling clothing used in TV and movies. I'm a little compulsive when it comes to tag checking -- I always look for clues as to which character wore something, in addition to the code on the price tag. Over the years I've purchased stuff from everything from "Thirteen Going On 30" to the "Bernie Mac Show". I digress...

The weekend of June 2nd, I came across a black moderately heavy turtleneck sweater. The code on made it either a Paramount or Warner production (this means that the show/movie it was used for was owned by either Paramount or Warner). I can't remember which, and I wish I'd written it down. And on the tag it said "Scott Bakula". I kid you not.

It was $8 and it was on the "last chance" rack. And I didn't buy it. Because I'm an idiot, apparently. Actually, I didn't buy it because so many times I've bought stuff because of the actor/actress who wore it and not because I want it for myself; my boyfriend; my dad; my best friend; my sister; whomever. And so I resisted.

And then I thought about it and went "what is wrong with you, you loser?" so I went back, but it was gone. I asked the employees and they looked at me like the idiot that I am.

Long story short, it re-awakened my not-so-dormant QL love and I became incredibly focused on finding out when he wore this top - it may not have even been on QL. And before you ask, yes, the store is reputable and no it's not some kind of a scam to get people through its doors to buy stuff. I've seen the trucks show up from the studios, and I've had actors confirm that yes their shows do indeed use this place. If they were running a scam I'm betting they would be selling their wares for much more than $8 on clearance.

I know that somewhere there are screencaps of Scott in this sweater. And if I have to watch every single thing this man's ever been in to find it? Well, that's a sacrifice I'm just willing to make. Heck, I'll make it twice if I have to... <g>

But, if someone knows what I'm looking for, it'll sure help me out. If not, that's cool - I'm happy to be here anyway, and I am especially appreciative of the time and effort put into the episode guides on this site. Each time I watch an episode I hit the guide the next day just to see if my observations were the same as those of other people. It's something cool to look forward to.

Sounds like the sort of thing I thought I was the only one daft enough to do..

A great big welcome from the resident :wacko Brit.

Glad to have you a-board.

I'm not observant enough to know what this item comes from, but I'm up for helping you in your research! ;)

Wow, you guys are the best! Well, I live in Ontario, Canada and the store's in Burbank, CA. I fly to LA about 9-10 times a year and one of my favorite things to do is go to this store and look for items of note. It's a rarity to actually have an actor's name written on an item, but it has happened before. I took a look at the link (thank you for providing it). And it looks very similar but not quite thick enough. But, if Scott wore that outfit in an episode (which I doubt he did because these were only promo shots), then if someone could direct me to the episode, I could look at it myself. Somehow I managed to, in 1996, make myself a commercial-free 6-hour tape containing about 8 or 9 of these episodes, in order, including an interview with Maria Bello on Leno. Oh, the things I had time to do in college... I pulled it out after I saw the shirt and got through about 3 of the episodes which, believe it or not, have really held up over the years. So yeah, it looked a lot like that, but that shirt in the pic seems almost lycra-esque and the one I touched was heavier. And the other thing I hope someone knows: who is the parent company that owned Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Was it Warner or Paramount? Because that's sometimes a clue. For example, I have a dress from Friends but the code on it wasn't FRI, it was W07, because Warner is the parent company. I just thought if someone knew the parent company for Mr. & Mrs. Smith that might help narrow it down too. Wow, I'm a total newbie and I'm already sending you out on missions!

Katie Beckett said:
Wow, you guys are the best! Well, I live in Ontario, Canada and the store's in Burbank, CA. I fly to LA about 9-10 times a year and one of my favorite things to do is go to this store and look for items of note. It's a rarity to actually have an actor's name written on an item, but it has happened before. I took a look at the link (thank you for providing it). And it looks very similar but not quite thick enough. But, if Scott wore that outfit in an episode (which I doubt he did because these were only promo shots), then if someone could direct me to the episode, I could look at it myself. Somehow I managed to, in 1996, make myself a commercial-free 6-hour tape containing about 8 or 9 of these episodes, in order, including an interview with Maria Bello on Leno. Oh, the things I had time to do in college... I pulled it out after I saw the shirt and got through about 3 of the episodes which, believe it or not, have really held up over the years. So yeah, it looked a lot like that, but that shirt in the pic seems almost lycra-esque and the one I touched was heavier. And the other thing I hope someone knows: who is the parent company that owned Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Was it Warner or Paramount? Because that's sometimes a clue. For example, I have a dress from Friends but the code on it wasn't FRI, it was W07, because Warner is the parent company. I just thought if someone knew the parent company for Mr. & Mrs. Smith that might help narrow it down too. Wow, I'm a total newbie and I'm already sending you out on missions!

LA damn I have to to get myself there not just to go Disneyland.