View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #37
blue enigma
Accelerator Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie View Post
The point that was trying to be made is that right and wrong are concepts made up by humans. So what Sam needs to change ultimately depends on his own belief about what is right and wrong. At the time, Sam thought it was wrong to break the rules of the project and save Al's marriage. But seeing the pain that Al was going through, he realised that it definitely was something that shouldn't have happened to such a good person, hence became wrong in his mind.
This is definitely a big part of it, Sam realizing how much pain Al was in and that it was a wrong that did need to be made right. And not just for Al, but Beth too - in the original history, she had to move on with her life and not keep mourning Al forever, but I don't think she ever stopped loving him and I don't think a day went by that she didn't have regrets, especially if she saw Maggie's photo of him and realized that she'd been mistaken.

But there is also the friendship angle. Not that Sam didn't realize what a great friend Al was before, but in Mirror Image he has time to really reflect on that, about how there isn't anything Al wouldn't do for him - and that he didn't quite reciprocate completely (when Bartender Al points out 'and you for him'). In a way, Sam becomes a better and humbler friend to Al in this episode.

Quote:
Mirror Image proves to us that God or Time or Fate or Whatever ultimately is not as powerful as Sam makes out in his head. Rather, it's his own choices.
Exactly (and as you already know, I'm in the 'it's all Sam' camp).

Quote:
Unless Al meant that since the start of his incarceration as a POW he was there for five years. Which, if Sam didn't make life more difficult for Al, would have meant Al was captured in 1968. Seems reasonable...
This is what I think, or that Al just miscalculated in that emotional moment. Though as Sam Beckett Fan pointed out, in the novel Pulitzer L Elizabeth Storm did a nice job presenting a plausible scenario for Al's extra two years in captivity.