Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2003, 12:29 PM   #1
alsplacebartender
Al's Place Bartender

Default 212 Animal Frat

Animal Frat
October 19, 1967

Meeks College, California

Sam finds himself in a fraternity with the name "Wild Thing" and is informed by Al that he is there to prevent a girl from setting an explosion that kills someone on campus in protest of the Vietnam War.

Written by: Chris Ruppenthal
Directed by: Gilbert Shilton

Rate and comment on this episode!

Last edited by Dman176; 07-29-2005 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Adding additional information
alsplacebartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:24 PM   #2
Vince Beckett
Pulse Communications Technician

This was very good. It was both humorous and serious.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
cookiemom6067
Control Room Technician

This is one of the few I watch just for the backgound characters!

The fraternity brothers are absolutely hilarious!!!!!!! The scenes of Sam just being part of college life were really fun (from the studying for the chemistry exam scene through the exploding toilets), especially given Sam's "goody-goody" character in general. And the end, when he's the "God of the Luau."
Old 07-06-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
isz
Assistant to Gooshie

Another good script by Chris Ruppenthal.
One thing i want to say is thanks god i never been in/was a part of a frat house...
Old 07-06-2007, 08:31 PM   #5
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

This is not one of my top fav episodes but I love the concept and possibly my favorite line in the whole thing is:
"I lost a brother in Vietnam so don't tell me I don't care!"
Poor Sam, its like at that moment I wish they could know who they are really talking to and even in Kewt's case that guy Duck judged him way too quickly, everyone seems to. Even someone by the nickname 'Wild Thing' can have a soft side.

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:22 AM   #6
Sam's Crow
Assistant to Gooshie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan
"I lost a brother in Vietnam so don't tell me I don't care!"
Poor Sam, its like at that moment I wish they could know who they are really talking to and even in Kewt's case that guy Duck judged him way too quickly, everyone seems to. Even someone by the nickname 'Wild Thing' can have a soft side.
I agree. I'm glad Sam managed to save Tom from being killed in Vietnam.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:19 AM   #7
Donofrio_QLTD
Control Room Technician

And the review goes on.

Another great episode from Chris. My favorite characters are definitely Guna and the rest of the guys. I didn't like Elizabeth at times. She seemed to want to make almost everything her problem, but I could understood where she was coming from. Times like those were both very depressing and stupid, and Chris knew how to portray them very well in this teleplay.

Raphael Sbarge is a favorite actor of mine, and the character of Scooter (played by Robert Petkoff) was always very hilarious. Very entertaining episode that deals with a very serious topic. Masterfully crafted.

The last episode to feature the Sam voice-over at the beginning of each episode's teaser, which was a shame because I loved that style!!

My rating: Excellent. Classic. The "frat house" episode!
Old 06-21-2014, 12:51 AM   #8
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer

I realised something watching this episode recently - Sam leaps in during the party, in the middle of a chugging session, and has two sexy ladies waiting for him in his bed. GTFW leapt him in at that stage just so that Sam could have a break and have some fun before his next mission
Old 06-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #9
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

This was a heavy subject matter episode which had triggered very strong personal feelings within Sam, overshadowing the role. So he took a character known for seemingly caring about nothing but women and getting drunk and turned him into an effective anti-war activist. You have to wonder what that did to the guy after Sam leaped out since at least some folks came to expect more out of him that he actually delivers.

The character of Duck was very well done, he came across to me anyway as quite infuriating especially when responding to Sam's powerful line:
"My brother was killed in Vietnam so don't tell me I don't care!"

War or not he was quite out of line to disrespect the dead.

One of the more recent times I watched this episode I caught something that cracked me up. In the beginning Sam retreats to his dorm to change because a frat partier had puked on him and not yet realizing that there were two women in Wild Thing's bed he strips his pants. He's wearing the exact same hearts and bears boxer shorts Al makes fun of in season 4's Temptation Eyes. Interesting choice for Wild Thing. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie View Post
I realised something watching this episode recently - Sam leaps in during the party, in the middle of a chugging session, and has two sexy ladies waiting for him in his bed. GTFW leapt him in at that stage just so that Sam could have a break and have some fun before his next mission
I'm not so convinced, considering Wild Thing's lifestyle there was probably seldom a moment NOT like that outside of his attending classes.

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Old 06-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #10
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan View Post
This was a heavy subject matter episode which had triggered very strong personal feelings within Sam, overshadowing the role. So he took a character known for seemingly caring about nothing but women and getting drunk and turned him into an effective anti-war activist. You have to wonder what that did to the guy after Sam leaped out since at least some folks came to expect more out of him that he actually delivers.

The character of Duck was very well done, he came across to me anyway as quite infuriating especially when responding to Sam's powerful line:
"My brother was killed in Vietnam so don't tell me I don't care!"

War or not he was quite out of line to disrespect the dead.

One of the more recent times I watched this episode I caught something that cracked me up. In the beginning Sam retreats to his dorm to change because a frat partier had puked on him and not yet realizing that there were two women in Wild Thing's bed he strips his pants. He's wearing the exact same hearts and bears boxer shorts Al makes fun of in season 4's Temptation Eyes. Interesting choice for Wild Thing. XD

I'm not so convinced, considering Wild Thing's lifestyle there was probably seldom a moment NOT like that outside of his attending classes.
What I meant was that there really was no reason that Sam couldn't leap to say when the frat boys are in the Chemistry building hurling water balloons, as that's when Al tells him about his mission to help Elizabeth, whom he hadn't even met yet. The first part of the leap was essentially pointless. OR WAS IT?!?!
Old 06-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #11
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Perhaps, I see your point as I'm reminded of another season two episode Good Morning Peoria when he straight up tells Al that he felt like he'd been given "a license to play". This essentially was the first time Sam had ever learned to have fun while in a leap and I do feel that that was intentional.

It fits with my theory that part of the mission is some leaps is for Sam himself to learn something or even Al. But I'm getting off topic now so I'll stop right there.

-=-=-=-=-
Signature made by me.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:51 AM   #12
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer

TKB IS THE LIFE FOR ME!!!

I wish I could join that frat :P
Old 10-22-2017, 01:56 AM   #13
MO
Pulse Communications Technician

Despite the over-the-top silliness of the frat boys, I really enjoyed this episode. It comedically dealt with a very serious topic. I like how the water balloon launching foreshadowed the bomb launching toward the end.

Though I have one irk: If they put the cherry bomb fuses together using bubble gum, the first fuse would burn down to the gum and then just go out, as wet gum is not flammable. They'd have done better to square knot the fuses together (voice of experience here).

Fun times, serious topic. An Excellent episode.