Old 09-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

Default Photography, anyone?

Does anyone else practice photography?

I've been thinking about trying it out for myself. After Mom's condition and Dad suddenly trying to start an online business I thought about trying photography and perhaps selling the prints for some extra money.

With me though I've been thinking more of the spiritual and metaphorical aspects of human life.

Before they got deleted on me I had a small collection of works that I had done. I have two of them printed out and in my closet.

I had a computer art class 2001 and after 9/11 the teacher all assigned us to create something in regards to it. I did so and then went from there.

Much to the surprise of the people that knew me they weren't happy pieces, they were dark and dramatic and meant to appeal to the human spirit.

I had gotten told no one would want those and they got deleted on me.

I've been thinking about making up for lost time and starting up again. It'll take me a while so I've sketched out what things I want and how I want to position the camera and so on.

Does anyone else do photography and have any tips they can share?
--The Highway Man
Errowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:35 AM   #2
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Sadly, I don't really have much art in my body, be it from drawings or from photography. However, I encourage you to re-pursue that, if you are interested in it, Errowyn. Be sure to share, because I'm sure that we would all love to see it!
Old 09-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
Sam's Crow
Assistant to Gooshie

I love photography but I don't have a camera... not anymore. :S
Old 09-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

I've got a digital one that I'm investigating. I've written Kodak asking them if they have any photography tips for the camera. Quite often they'll post pages on info on taking the best pictures with such-and-such camera.
--The Highway Man
Old 09-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
Night Terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errowyn View Post
I had gotten told no one would want those and they got deleted on me.
Such jerks. How I hate people who censor things just because they don't appeal to their interests. Goes to show you that a lot of people still live in a fantasy world, and they don't want to completely assimilate the reality of the bad things that happen in this world (yeah, sometimes this life is dark and sad; most of the time, in fact). They want to water it down (or glamourize it), instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errowyn View Post
I've been thinking about making up for lost time and starting up again. It'll take me a while so I've sketched out what things I want and how I want to position the camera and so on.

Does anyone else do photography and have any tips they can share?
I don't do photography, and I'm not sure if this "tip" is going to help you at all, but I'd say that, if you want to get a step further, try to watch as many Stanley Kubrick films as you can. He was a photographer, too, and it shows. Every image he captures has the composition of a very well taken picture, and he's regarded as one of the best directors ever. He once said that, to make a film entirely by yourself, you might not need to know much about anything else, but you must know about photography. Now, I don't know if this is true, but I believe it must be. One thing I know is that he's a master when it comes to shooting angles (especially when he has to choose a certain corner, position or "line"). So, try to study all of that, get acquainted with his style, and you'll get an idea on how to place your camera, shoot, etc. I guess that'll do, at least to get started with. He's artsy enough, and dark enough, but if you want to explore even darker styles, see the films by Pier Paolo Pasolini, or even the ones by Peter Greenaway, although these directors are not for everyone's tastes. Maybe a weird tip, but I've known photographers who said that watching films, especially by Kubrick, was quite inspirational for them... so, hope it works.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
jassian
Project Observer

Night Terror has good advice, watch good movies, some of the directors and DOP's (director of photography) are very skilled.
I don't know much about still photography, but I'm quite alright with TV cameras and lighting. So maybe I can tell you something useful.

What I'd most like to do is to see what you already know and maybe I can make some suggestions.

You probably know these already:

generally it is advised to create three zones: foreground, mid-ground and background, this gives you the sense of depth. It is also advised to divide your image in three's. So the most important item would be towards one or the corners about one third of the picture away from both edges (edit: this is where your eyes naturally tend to focus, also know your market, western cultures 'read' information left to right so the direction and placement of items have implied meaning). And now that you know these 'rules' feel free to break them to suit your own creativity

You really need a camera that allows you to set your own focus and with good light sensitivity. Regrettably those are more expensive. Sometimes you can get a good one second hand.

Speaking of kodak, have you seen this site?
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...requestid=9359

Old 09-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

I'll take a look at that site. Thanks.
--The Highway Man
Old 09-09-2009, 03:51 AM   #8
MO
Pulse Communications Technician

The above tips are good advice. I'm an amateur photographer, so if you want to see some of my stuff, Errowyn, just shoot me a PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Boo View Post
The above tips are good advice. I'm an amateur photographer, so if you want to see some of my stuff, Errowyn, just shoot me a PM.
I shall do that. I'll see about downloading some of my photographs as well to send. About 90% of them weren't posed but rather taken at random during shows.
--The Highway Man
Old 09-10-2009, 12:34 AM   #10
JuliaM
Project Observer

I'm more of an amateur photographer as well (although I did have a photo once featured on the NPS site). I have some of my photos on my website - http://americanapics.com/ - but it's sorely in need of updating.

I'm really not sure I can offer any tips. I generally just let instict guide me when I'm taking photos. I try to find unique angles and lighting. Some times it works...some times not so well.

This is one of my more recent photos that I'm quite fond of - http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs129...._5543704_n.jpg
Old 09-10-2009, 03:46 AM   #11
leaper1
PQL Security Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoniz View Post
I'm more of an amateur photographer as well (although I did have a photo once featured on the NPS site). I have some of my photos on my website - http://americanapics.com/ - but it's sorely in need of updating.

I'm really not sure I can offer any tips. I generally just let instict guide me when I'm taking photos. I try to find unique angles and lighting. Some times it works...some times not so well.

This is one of my more recent photos that I'm quite fond of - http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs129...._5543704_n.jpg
Wow, wonderful framing in that shot!

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.(Leo Buscaglia) Helen in Bedford
leaper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:30 AM   #12
JuliaM
Project Observer

Thanks. It took a long time (and a lot of other shots) to get that one. It's really tough to get people to stop walking in front of you. *LOL*
Old 09-10-2009, 05:02 PM   #13
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

Oh, I understand with hard shots like that. At the faire it's sometimes mission impossible to get the right pics without having people walk in front of you.
--The Highway Man
Old 10-02-2009, 02:14 AM   #14
angvav
Temporary Account

I have studied photography for 2 years - the arty side, and a tiny bit of commercial.

I am starting my own photo business as well as video filming with a mate of mine.

I've noticed in photo art from my own experience - alot of people do not see photo's the way you do.

Have you tried posting you art in your own website? Say.... Tripod?

I am in the middle of doing this.

I'll post the website up soon.

www.myspace.com/angvav

This is mainly potraits of me though. Not very well taken - but I got more piccies if you like to see them.

Hope this helps.