Mirror Image: Revisited

BeLikeWater

Project QL Intern
Dec 28, 2023
Hi Quantum Leap Fans,

I wanted to share something I've been working on for the last year. Matt Dale's passing motivated me, and I wish I could have engaged about what I was doing beforehand.

TL;DR: I gave Mirror Image a tune-up. If you prefer, you can skip the details below and just download from here:

High-Quality MKV
Streaming

Why'd I Do This?
I love Mirror Image. For what it had to do given the uncertainty of Quantum Leap's future at that time, I feel it's a great ending to the story of Sam Beckett and Al Calavicci.

Sometimes, the best art doesn't give you all the answers, but enough to give you the intended message. Of all the great life lessons in Quantum Leap, I feel Mirror Image provides the most important one: Your life, moment to moment, is your choice.

So, having said all that, why did I decide to tune up Mirror Image? Well, I remembered what it was like to watch this episode for the first time. Even as a 9-year old boy, there were some technical issues that stood out to me that were even worse on the subsequent DVD and Blu-Ray releases (though I do think Mill Creek did a fantastic job with what they had to work with for the Blu-Ray).

What's Different
There were some issues with picture stabilization in still shots, and the obvious issue of Sam’s name in the end titles (which was NOT an issue in the original LA broadcast). That stuff’s been fixed.

There were some odd audio sync issues on blu-ray when the miners are discussing the H-Bomb. I fixed that to mirror the original LA Broadcast (where those issues didn’t exist due to a slightly different edit of two shots).

Primarily, and possibly most contentiously, I fixed (or removed) some awful ADR. Some shots have been altered/cut to remove lines, while others have been redone to work off the original shooting script (you’ll know it when you see it). In one particular shot, I preferred the original line in the script. I personally feel the original line works better for a series finale.

Finally, I kept in the commercials of the LA broadcast, along with the segment that aired following the finale on KNBC Los Angeles. They're not in the best shape (taken from a 30-year old VHS tape), and up-converting would have been futile. It's just a little bit of nostalgia baked in when watching. If anyone wants the clean episode, I'm happy to upload that too.

Enjoy!
Enjoy Mirror Image: Revisited. I hope Matt, wherever he is now, would approve.

Last edited: