Question: Hope someone can answer (How can Ben leap outside his own lifetime?)

LadyKat

Project QL Intern
Sep 19, 2022
I've been watching the new QL since it started, and while I can't say that I like it as well as the original, it's OK, albeit a bit confusing.

My most recent point of confusion is: in the latest episode Ben leaps back to the 1600's during the witch trials. My question is, how the heck did he do that? Wasn't his leaping supposed to be restricted to his own lifetime, like Sam's was? I know they made an exception for Sam when he leaped back to the Civil War, but they explained that by saying Sam leaped into his great grandfather (or maybe great-great grandfather, I don't remember.) But Ben just pops up in 1692 or whatever, and no one back at home base bats an eye. It doesn't faze them in the least.

Did they explain how this was possible at some point, and maybe I just missed it somehow?

If they're gonna make Ben be able to leap anywhere anytime, like Dr. Who travels around in the TARDIS, then they should take another page from the DR.'s handbook, ie: CERTAIN EVENTS ARE FIXED POINTS IN SPACE AND TIME, AND CAN NOT BE CHANGED!

the original series ignored this a couple of times, to their detriment, I thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: OhBoyQLPod
I think they did explain the leaping outside ones lifetime in season one. I don't remember the specifics but he leaped back into the old west in season one. Given his age the leap back into 1955 and the Einstein message was outside his lifetime as well.

So we don't have a full explanation but based on what we learned in season 1 - Ben was using a sort of temporal momentum or something resembling orbital mechanics to reach the future which also swung him back in time in that season. So in planetary orbital mechanics there *are* points where celestial bodies that are normally far apart are closer together so IF in *some* way Ben were using some person or element in leap A to set himself up with a point that allows him to jump to a point outside his lifetime from he then now has extra temporarl momentum or is otherwise is on some sort of "path, orbit, track, whatever that allows additional jumps to more times - math isn't my strongest but I am still trying to figure out A why leaper x was in salvation to begin with and is the amount that was back in time related to how far Ben needed to reach in the future to talk to future Ian and or have a sort of parabolic swing toward the specific point/s in time to stop martinez/save addison.

Not really liking how this new series potrays Ziggy, it's supposed to be an intelligent talking hybrid parallel supercomputer with sentience.

In the O.G it was plain to see it being an advanced physics project focusing on a theory Sam devised and applied and highlighting the connection of nueons and maisons with the leaper and hologram.....all very sciency lol... in this new series it's just a base centre for computer hackers Jenn and Ian who enter code lol

It's an ideal time to make this AI monster as the centre point of the project back at base, it would lead to more comedic scenes with Ian and the team 😀

I just expected that at one point, they would have Deborah Pratt appear as a hologram and the speaking voice of Ziggy. Seems like a huge missed opportunity. It was thrilling to hear her give the narration in the Season 2 opener but then they immediately dropped it.

I just expected that at one point, they would have Deborah Pratt appear as a hologram and the speaking voice of Ziggy. Seems like a huge missed opportunity. It was thrilling to hear her give the narration in the Season 2 opener but then they immediately dropped it.
I feel the same. It's just a missed opportunity. There is absolutely no reason I can think of for them not using the voice.

Reactions: McDuck
She narrated both season openers! At least it's better than nothing.

In an early episode of the new series, it is explained that Ben altered some code in the programming to allow him to leap outside his own lifetime.
I believe this discussion took place in EP 3, Somebody Up There Likes Ben, the 1st time he leapt out of his lifetime. Since then it's been, what, at least half of the leaps are earlier? Suppose I could check your nifty timeline and count 😂

Agreed, it was amazing to hear her narration at the opening of season 2, a real fan service so it was a mystery as to why it was dropped.

I'm enjoying season 2 more than the first however it's high time producers pin down an opening intro to the show, the showing of a 5 second image of the Quantum accelerator with bursting music doesn't quite cut it.

Agreed, it was amazing to hear her narration at the opening of season 2, a real fan service so it was a mystery as to why it was dropped.

I'm enjoying season 2 more than the first however it's high time producers pin down an opening intro to the show, the showing of a 5 second image of the Quantum accelerator with bursting music doesn't quite cut it.
It's unfortunate that current shows lack opening sequences. That time has been applied to story. This version of QL with its additional focus on project personnel needs it. Still Deborah Pratt's voice here is as important as Majel Barrett's was to the Enterprise computers.

It's unfortunate that current shows lack opening sequences. That time has been applied to story. This version of QL with its additional focus on project personnel needs it. Still Deborah Pratt's voice here is as important as Majel Barrett's was to the Enterprise computers.
It was a pleasant surprise hearing her voice again but it did lack a certain "vocalisation" and she sounded different.

But yeah agree hundred percent, this show needs an intro and if it continues to be picked up for following seasons it needs to return with a remixed version of the original maybe!? 😀

Reactions: alsplacebartender
I am very much with all of you that we need to at least know why Ziggy is silent in this version - are those season open narrations supposed to be Ziggy or just something for long term fans narrated by Deborah Pratt.? Is the current Ziggy actually the original Ziggy and has somehow lost a voice - voice not relocated from New Mexico? Ziggy in mourning of Al?, some suit just really hated the voice?. It needs to be explained at the very least. Does Deborah just not have time to record lines for every ep - I mean come on here it needs an explanation at minimum

Reactions: Spartan83
This series is terrible at their techno babble. None of any of it makes any sense at all. In season 1 the more they tried to explain things the more frustrating it got. Just chalk it up to evolving and improving technology.

If you start asking about the waiting room, your head will spin.
Their techno babble is simply just about inputting code but the last time I looked the OG project was a physics science project based on Quantum theory one ones life (a loop) and connecting neuons and maisons of ones brain to eachother.

There is just too much computer IT babble in this for me.

Reactions: OhBoyQLPod
I feel like they've put themselves in a place where they have to try and explain the way things work because they spend more time at the project. But their attempts are frustrating because it makes no sense. Just either talk jibberish or don't even try.

They've replaced any mention of metaphysical stuff, like God, fate, time etc. with "the accelerator" As though the accelerator itself has motivations.