Fandom Entanglement: QL Season 2, Episode 10 Review | "The Family Treasure"

Damon Sugameli, Mike Bloxam, MJ Cogburn, and Brian Greene's podcast about Quantum Leap

Suggie176

Project QL Assistant
Sep 11, 2010
Auburndale, FL
Counting down the second of five episodes closing out Season 2B:

FANDOM ENTANGLEMENT: QUANTUM LEAP (2022) Episode 2x10 — "The Family Treasure"

[Original airdate: 02/06/24]

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A cursed treasure hunt draws Ben to Mexico in 1953, putting him between two estranged siblings struggling with their late father’s legacy. As they navigate a series of lethal obstacles, Ben finds the real challenge lies in repairing this broken family’s bond.

(Leap Date / Location: 1953 / Texas near the U.S.-Mexico border & Dos Estrellas, Mexico)

This episode was written by Shakina and directed by Jude Weng.

Joining me (Damon Sugameli) for this review were my co-hosts Mike Bloxam (MikeKraken), Brian Greene (alsplacebartender), and M.J. Cogburn (QLDamsel), along with special guest Jan Fennick (essay contributor for the Outside In book series from ATB Publishing; co-author of Red, White and Who: The Story of Doctor Who in America; essay contributor for Me and the Starman; and contributor to We Are Cult, a website dedicated to cult movies, TV shows and music).

OutsideInFINALcover2-copy.jpg RedWhiteandWhoCoverFINALfrontonlySCREEN.jpg Me and the Starman.jpg We Are Cult.jpg

Join us as we navigate a treasure hunt filled with obvious nods to Indiana Jones, flip-flopping decisions by Addison, Ben pulling a “Back to the Future,” and a brief educational moment about what it means to be nonbinary. Because in the end, the real treasure was the family we found along the way! Plus, we fawn over veteran actor James Frain as we are finally introduced to this season’s “Big Bad,” Gideon Rydge!

Hope you enjoy our analysis and review!

Disclaimer #1: Once again, we experienced a series of significant technical issues with Riverside during our recording, and a good chunk of my commentary was nearly lost. Luckily, the backup files were recovered, but some sound issues and echo can be heard throughout the middle portion of the episode. I was able to splice everything together to be as seamless as possible.

Disclaimer #2: This episode features a nonbinary character and a 2-minute commentary on what that means. Open and civil discussion on this episode is welcome as long as it is not coming from a place of hate, ignorance or discrimination. Quantum Leap has always been a story about walking in someone else's shoes to put right what is wrong in the world. Please remain civil in your criticisms and comments. Thank you.

And if you or your child are trans and in need of support, please call Trans Lifeline at 877-565-8860 or visit TransLifeline.org for help.

——————————

The remainder of Season 2 is dedicated to our fellow podcaster and friend Matt Dale (former co-host of The Quantum Leap Podcast, author of Beyond the Mirror Image: The Observer’s Guide to Quantum Leap) who passed away unexpectedly on December 25, 2023.

(*This podcast episode was originally released on YouTube on 02/10/24.)

• Love
Reactions: alsplacebartender
Wanted to drop in and hear some new perspectives on this one. You all were far more forgiving than we were I'm afraid. This episode was just a mess, on every level in my mind. A lot of solid potential squandered and the Gideon Rydge reveal was absolutely dumbfounding... and not in a good way.

Even so, it's nice to hear others discuss it.