Fandom Entanglement: QL Season 2 Reviews (Episodes 1-8)

Damon Sugameli, Mike Bloxam, MJ Cogburn, and Brian Greene's podcast about Quantum Leap

Suggie176

Project QL Assistant
Sep 11, 2010
Auburndale, FL
I will be using this thread to share our podcast reviews for the first half of Season 2. All four of us (Mike, Brian, MJ, and myself) are now regular co-hosts with occasional guests (some returning, and some new faces). Each of us had to sit out at least one episode during these first eight (usually because we weren’t feeling well). Also, a new intro and outro were used as I experimented with a more “random” approach to fall in line with Ben’s new leaping parameters (kind of like playing a slot machine and seeing which leap pops up each week). Hope everyone has found it interesting! I may change it up again for the back five, now that there’s a clearer indication of where the remainder of the season might be heading (although not by much)…not sure yet.

After this, I’ll be posting new episodes in their own individual threads. I’m still contemplating converting every episode into audio-only podcasts for iTunes, Spotify, etc., but I wouldn’t be able to get to that for another few months, if that still happens. Here we go…

——————————

Kicking off the second season is our review of the season opener:

FANDOM ENTANGLEMENT: QUANTUM LEAP (2022) Episode 2x01 — “This Took Too Long!”

[Original airdate: 10/04/23]

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Instead of leaping home as expected, Ben finds himself in 1978 aboard a top-secret military flight, transporting mysterious cargo. When the flight comes under attack, the plot deepens as Ben and the crew discover the sobering truth behind their mission.

(Leap Date / Location: 1978 / Somewhere over Russia)

This episode was written by Martin Gero (co-showrunner), directed by John Terlesky, and featured Special Guest Star Melissa Roxburgh (Manifest).

Joining me (Damon Sugameli) for this review were my co-hosts Mike Bloxam (MikeKraken), Brian Greene (alsplacebartender), and M.J. Cogburn (QLDamsel). Hope you enjoy our analysis and review!

Side-note: We had a technical issue with Riverside about 10-15 minutes in and needed to switch back over to Skype for the remainder of our recording. So when we “leap” back in, some of us have switched places! 😜

(*This podcast episode was originally released on YouTube on 10/10/23.)

• Love
Reactions: alsplacebartender
Next up: “Ben & Teller” (no, not the famous duo magician act)…

FANDOM ENTANGLEMENT: QUANTUM LEAP (2022) Episode 2x02 — “Ben & Teller”

[Original airdate: 10/11/23]

Ben takes on the role of a bank teller in the wrong place at the wrong time during a dangerous armed robbery. Addison, Magic, Ian and Jenn come to terms with a shocking discovery. The team adds a new member.

(Leap Date / Location: May 9, 1986 / Tucson, AZ)

This episode was written by Aadrita Mukerji and directed by Kristin Windell.

This review is quite a bit different than previous episodes in that I was not feeling well and could barely talk. Rather than wait a few days to record and be drastically late with the podcast, I made the suggestion for my co-hosts to do this one without me, as I didn't really have much to say about it anyway.

Leading the charge for this review were my co-hosts Mike Bloxam (MikeKraken), Brian Greene (alsplacebartender), and M.J. Cogburn (QLDamsel). Hope you enjoy their analysis and review!

Side-note: Skype was used for the recording of this episode.

(*This podcast episode was originally released on YouTube on 10/16/23.)

• Love
Next up: “Closure Encounters”…

FANDOM ENTANGLEMENT: QUANTUM LEAP (2022) Episode 2x03 — “Closure Encounters”

[Original airdate: 10/18/23]

Now a government agent, Ben investigates unexplained extraterrestrial activity. After a mysterious incident in New Mexico, two young girls’ lives are on the line. Ben meets Hannah Carson (Eliza Taylor joining the cast), who may be more than she appears.

(Leap Date / Location: 1949 / Starlight, NM)

This episode was written by Romy Loor and directed by Chris Grismer.

Joining me (Damon Sugameli) for this review were my co-hosts Brian Greene (alsplacebartender), and M.J. Cogburn (QLDamsel). Mike was not feeling well this week; however, we were also joined by special guest co-host Darrell Darnell (co-host of The Fringe Podcast Rewatch, The Stranger Things Podcast, and owner/co-founder of Golden Spiral Media)!

IMG_4517.jpegIMG_4518.jpegIMG_4519.jpeg

I had been looking forward to having him co-host, and it was a pleasure to hear his thoughts and somewhat “unbiased” take on the new series! (Lastly, you might see a brief cameo by my son, Ciro, who got out of bed to let me know he had a boo-boo! 🥰 Had thought about editing the interruptions out but figured, why not just leave one of them in there because…that’s how I roll! 😂)

Hope you enjoy our analysis and review!

(*This podcast episode was originally released on YouTube on 10/23/23.)

Last edited:
  • Love
Next up: “The Lonely Hearts Club”…

FANDOM ENTANGLEMENT: QUANTUM LEAP (2022) Episode 2x04 — “The Lonely Hearts Club”

[Original airdate: 10/25/23]

Ben leaps into the body of an ambitious Hollywood assistant whose famous client, Neil Russell, is in danger. As Ben realizes that Neil's circumstances may shed light on his own, his working relationship with Addison reaches an inflection point.

(Leap Date / Location: April 4, 2000 / Los Angeles, CA)

This episode was written by Kristy Lowrey, directed by M.J. Bassett, and guest-starred legendary actor Tim Matheson (a.k.a. “Otter” from Animal House and the voice of Jonny Quest, to name but a couple)!

Joining me (Damon Sugameli) for this review were my co-hosts Mike Bloxam (MikeKraken) and M.J. Cogburn (QLDamsel). Brian was feeling under the weather this time and was unable to join us. Hope you enjoy our analysis and review!

(*This podcast episode was originally released on YouTube on 10/31/23.)

• Love
Next up: “One Night in Koreatown”…

FANDOM ENTANGLEMENT: QUANTUM LEAP (2022) Episode 2x05 — “One Night in Koreatown”

[Original airdate: 11/01/23]

Ben lands in the body of an 18-year-old working for his father’s shoe store in Koreatown in Los Angeles at the start of the explosive 1992 riots. Facing an emotional connection in the riots to his past, Magic joins Ben on the leap.

(Leap Date / Location: April 29, 1992 / Los Angeles, CA)

This episode was written by Benjamin Raab & Deric A. Hughes and directed by Tamika Miller.

Joining me (Damon Sugameli) for this review were my co-hosts Mike Bloxam (MikeKraken), Brian Greene (alsplacebartender), and M.J. Cogburn (QLDamsel). The four of us were together again as we welcomed back special guest Lisa Hollifield (The Wolf and the Storm). She can also be followed on the “X” at: https://twitter.com/WolfandStorm78

eT0CnnLn_400x400.jpg1500x500.jpg

A bit of a disclaimer: as much as we tried steering the discussion toward the plot of this episode, there were quite a few moments that drew comparisons between it and the classic series episode “Black on White on Fire,” which focused on the Watts Riots in 1965. Both episodes dealt with similar issues and plot lines, and as diehard fans of the original series, we couldn’t help but keep going back to the original episode from 1990 (some of us more than others). 😛

Also, apologies for a few audio issues. I cleaned it up as best as I could. Hope you enjoy our analysis, comparisons and review!

(*This podcast episode was originally released on YouTube on 11/08/23.)

Last edited:
  • Love
Next up: “Secret History”…

FANDOM ENTANGLEMENT: QUANTUM LEAP (2022) Episode 2x06 — “Secret History”

[Original airdate: 11/15/23]

At Princeton University in 1955, Ben must find a formula hidden by Albert Einstein that holds the key to nuclear energy before the Nazis get it. He’s surprised to run into a familiar face on campus.

(Leap Date / Location: May 15, 1955 / Princeton, NJ)

This episode was written by Drew Lindo and directed by Pamela Romanowsky.

Joining me (Damon Sugameli) for this review were my co-hosts Mike Bloxam (MikeKraken), Brian Greene (alsplacebartender), and M.J. Cogburn (QLDamsel). Hope you enjoy our analysis and review!

(*This podcast episode was originally released on YouTube on 11/17/23.)

• Love
Magic 8-Ball, is this the worst episode of Quantum Leap? Signs point to yes…

FANDOM ENTANGLEMENT: QUANTUM LEAP (2022) Episode 2x07 — “A Kind of Magic”

[Original airdate: 12/06/23]

Ben leaps back to 1692 — the farthest he’s ever been — where he finds himself on trial for practicing witchcraft. With limited records online, the team must race to save him before he’s put to death.

(Leap Date / Location: 1692 / Middle Towne, Massachusetts)

This episode was written by Margarita Matthews and directed by Avi Youabian.

What can be said about this one? It was definitely…an episode of a TV show. Joining me (Damon Sugameli) for this review were my co-hosts Mike Bloxam (MikeKraken) and M.J. Cogburn (QLDamsel). Brian chose to skip this one, and we almost did too. (That should tell you something.) Join us as we break down the questionable historical inaccuracies of the story, get a crash-course on The Crucible, and try our best to find some positives in this train wreck of an episode. Hope you enjoy our analysis and…ahem…review. LET IT RAIN!!!

(*This podcast episode was originally released on YouTube on 12/11/23.)

• Haha
It’s mid-season finale time (and also the last episode that had been filmed before the WGA and SAG/AFTRA strikes went into effect)…

FANDOM ENTANGLEMENT: QUANTUM LEAP (2022) Episode 2x08 — “Nomads”

[Original airdate: 12/13/23]

When Ben leaps as far as Egypt into an undercover CIA agent caught in a dangerous game of international espionage, he must move quickly to save a woman’s life.

(Leap Date / Location: May 1961 / Giza and Cairo, Egypt)

This episode was written by Executive Producer/Co-Showrunner Dean Georgaris, directed by Chris Grismer, was actually shot on location in Egypt, and guest-starred legendary actor Lou Diamond Phillips (Young Guns, Stand and Deliver, La Bamba)!

Joining me (Damon Sugameli) for this review were my co-hosts Mike Bloxam (MikeKraken) and Brian Greene (alsplacebartender), as we welcomed back special guest Dennis Frymire (Dad to the Future)! MJ was feeling under the weather and was unable to join us.

DadToTheFuture.png

Join Mike, Brian, Dennis and me as we go over some of the more memorable moments of the episode and nitpick some others. We also talk about the return of Hannah in the past, Tom’s reveal to Addison in the present, and wonder where in the heck these storylines are heading in the future.

Hope you enjoy our analysis and review!

Side-note: Some media outlets and other podcasts had this listed as “Nomad,” but I am using the “Nomads” title as it was listed this way on the official NBC and Peacock sites, as well as in the press release and on my DVR recording; additionally Dean himself had said off-record that he preferred the plural title. Taking all of that into account and seeing as he wrote the thing (and is one of the showrunners), I went under the assumption that “Nomads” was the intended title.

(*This podcast episode was originally released on YouTube on 12/17/23.)

• Love